Thursday, December 3, 2020

White Rabbits again, Olive, Mabel and Useful Tasks to Improve The Shining Hour

 So today's the third little door on the calendar, and it turns out to be -- a white rabbit!  A bit late for the tradition, but never mind



And yesterday my Christmas gift to me arrived.  It's the Book of Olive and Mabel. And very funny reading, too, just started it. When booksellers say the book was to be published December l, I didn't realize they were probably all packaged up and ready to ship, just waiting for the official date to do it. Anyway, it arrived on the second.  Not bad.


So it made some nice winter reading, with toasted sharp Vermont cheddar on wholewheat and the inevitable pot of tea


Over the 12 years of petcare visiting, to the pets' houses, and the earlier micro business of Handsome Son as a young teen before he had working papers, where dogs, one or two at a time, came to stay with us in the house (!) I've had dealings with literally hundreds of dogs, and reading this book reminded me of a few of the more comic characters.

Such as Diego, the terrier mix, who loved to stay with us when her owner travelled, and was best friends with our two terrier mixes.  She loved it so much that she figured out the route from his house to ours, which he'd only traveled by car, and would break out of her house where she slept in an enclosed porch, and come galloping over to ours, and started banging on the back door to come in and play with Buff and Toby.

This tended to happen about five a.m., and the first time I was scared to death, thinking someone was breaking in, and me alone with a young boy and two small dogs useless as houseguards.  Went down fearfully, looked out the back door, saw nothing but the door was being whapped, looked down, and there's Diego, laughing and barking and saying hey, this is fun, lemme in!

I'd call the owner at a more decent hour, and he'd first insist, no, she's here sleeping on the, oh, oh, the porch door is bust open and she's gone, so sorry.  I'll come and get her.  We thought it was a pretty good canine reference.  She loved her owner, who had rescued her from the San Diego pound, hence the name, but still wanted playtime at ours.

And dear George Meredith, the miniature poodle, who would give recitals every evening at about 9.30, in the middle of the living room, singing away and howling and generally kicking up a racket.  For about fifteen minutes we had to endure this.  The owners told us he must be very relaxed at our house, since he usually reserved the recitals for his immediate family.  They thought it was his hobby.


I'm still faithfully using my therapy lamp for half an hour each morning.  Hard to tell if it's helping my mood, because I don't know how I'd feel if I didn't use it.  But anyway, it's thirty minutes of needing to do something while stuck in one place.  Reading, okay, emailing on tablet, okay, drinking tea, eating breakfast, but then it occurred to me this morning this is a great time for those mending tasks that take no time once you get to them, but you never get to them.

So today I did that. I took a pair of knitted slippers which needed to be stitched up further at the front, because they stretch a little with wear, and start falling off. Same style as the one above, but not that one, which I've been wearing for years, a bit tattered now.  Anyway, I stitched up the two fronts, took about five minutes including the time to find the needle and yarn and to kick myself for not getting around to it before. This might be a good thing to continue.  I think I just needed a slot of time for doing things like that, and now I have one. Clever me.  I think. 


13 comments:

  1. We used to live in a house with a pool and for awhile, a local dog would come and jump in it and I'd have to read the phone number of his people off his collar and call them to come and get them. Eventually I just put the number on our phone list on the wall. He just wanted a swim and he knew where to get one. We also had a neighbor once who had the biggest yellow lab you ever saw. I mean- Cujo. But his name was Banjo, actually, and he'd take off and go down to the nearest busy street and a car would inevitably stop to save him from traffic and they'd take him home. To their home. This was before cell phones. His owners got calls from all over town that Banjo was safe. He loved to ride. One time he came over to my house during a storm, let himself in and stretched out on my couch. I found him there and said, "Banjo! Get off my couch!" He took up the whole thing. He just looked at me and growled and I said, "Hey, that's cool. Stay as long as you want."
    He did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's write a book together! We could call it Dogs I Have Not Owned.

      Delete
  2. I had a look at Olive and Mable on your recommendation, charming and delightful doggies, and their dad is a huge larf. And I also checked out Arne and Sven (sorry I cant remember the names) so I wonder if you would like to make the acquaintance of April and June. These two ladies speak just like my dad did, North Devon accent, bet you can't understand what they say. They are telling a very funny story!
    you tube here..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUiETH4le20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly intelligible to me, and very funny old lady! I loved all of it. The accent is a lot like the northeast coast, where I'm from originally, in fact, no trouble following it. And the mention of the accumulator!! That was a huge version of a battery, and we had one of those for our radio, known then as the wireless, when we lived up in the Dales. I remember two of my sisters, accumulator slung between them on a broomstick, only way two kids could manage it, trudging off a couple of miles to the village to get it charged.

      Delete
    2. We had an accumulator too, we didn't have electricity. My dad had to carry it all the way down a steep hill to get it charged then carry it back up the next day. No wireless programmes for us for 24 hours. Got electricity when I was about 11.

      Delete
  3. People underestimate our animal friends for sure. I enjoyed your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read that dogs are as smart as a three or four year old and can learn about 300 words. when my little dog Minnie was in her first year she would bark when she wanted something. One day I told her to use her words and I swear that dog immediately responded with a series of noises that wasn't barking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are quite capable of trolling their humans! One of my petcare charges, a wonderful GS, Molly, used to play tricks on me. One day I came in the house and nearly stepped on a banana peel on the doormat. She'd taken the banana out of the fruit bowl on the dining table, eaten it and dropped the skin right where I would come in. I told her owner she'd been watching too many cartoons!

      Delete
  5. That book is going on my wish list for sure. I love books about dogs, provided they're not sad. It took me several years to muster the courage to read 'Marley and Me' - beautiful book but I cried buckets. I enjoyed reading about your doggie characters. They all have their wonderful personalities.
    I have one of those lights on order but it's delayed, most likely because a lot of other people have the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought my light back in October, and my doctor said that was an excellent idea, partly to get one, partly because it pays to start early using it.

      I'm reading Olive and Mabel right now, and it's funny, not sad at all, not tearjerking, just the hapless owner being owned by his dogs. It's lovely. Please buy from an independent bookstore. Lots of them have it in stock. It's now out in Canada and the USA. I think same pub date, in fact.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your thought about ordering from an independent bookstore but our local one just orders from Amazon anyway. I suppose they must get a small markup but who knows. I will see what I can do about maybe finding it from Book Depository - at least they're based in the UK.

      Delete
  6. I'd still go local. They're in need of all the orders they can get. Yes, they do get $ out of the Amazon connection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!