Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Fast food and the return of the light, oh, wait..

So I had a post thought up for today, peaceful, unaware that stuff might happen. Or not happen.  I went out for the morning start the car ritual, and it didn't.  Flat as a pancake. Oh.  So here was my chance to learn how to use the new portable charger.  I sound a lot calmer than I felt, literally dropped the cables once because my hands were shaking! such a great mechanic.

And studied the little book, remembered how to pop the hood, eventually got the power cable inserted into the unit, shaky hands not helping, and went to fiddle about trying to figure out, after red to red, black to black, exactly what I was supposed to attach the alligator clips to.

Eventually got it, not the bit I expected, much easier, and the green light went on, saying well done, thou good and faithful servant, go thou and start thy engine. 

See below!!

So I did and it started first try.  Yay me.  Then I had to study how to detach the unit safely.  Good thing, because you're supposed to separate the unit from the power cable before unclipping the ally clips.  Ah.  Done.  Now the unit's back in the house, charging, found out how to do that, too.  It had arrived 80 per cent charged, fortunately, because I hadn't had the chance to charge it fully anyway before I had to use it.  

Did I mention my phone's losing its charge faster and faster, meaning I may need a new one soon.  The proposed tablet is sliding down the list of priorities around here, I can see.


Meanwhile, nature knows what she's doing. As soon as the solstice was past, here come new blossoms on the primula, unfailing.

And yesterday I found to my surprise I was out of soup, right before I planned to heat some.  Needed fast food, soonest.  So a can of cannellini beans, mashed, with capers,  can of chicken, egg, potato flakes, and I had a set of fritter things ready to go, with steamed broccoli.


 Then I remembered scallions in the freezer, so added them into the remaining batter.  Scallions always make me think of Chinese food, I guess they come in there.

So here's yesterday's lunch, sans scallions but with pickled beets, remember those, they're still going. And above that, today's lunch, with scallions, and I'll add the beets again, I think.

Just as well I had a lunch already set up, considering the excitement earlier. There's a limit!

And now Blogger refuses to insert this pic where I asked, repeatedly. Bear with me, tech is not friendly today. But here's the operation in full swing.



I'm having a restful cup of tea now.  Then I'll go see about getting a mechanic's licence.

13 comments:

  1. Oh thou brave and brilliant woman! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to have to learn this so soon. Easier than I expected, though. Once I calmed down.

      Delete
  2. that looks like the cleanest engine I have ever seen. but good for you, us womens can do whatever we put our minds to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I had a cup of tea, I agree with you! Now I'm scouting a new phone...

      Delete
  3. You deserve a whole pot of tea after all that...good luck with the phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also thinking a diamond bracelet..but a pot of tea will do till one comes along.

      Delete
  4. Good for you! A word to the wise though - I'd be sure to carry that charger everywhere you go because I suspect this will happen more and more often and you don't want to be let down in the middle of a parking lot somewhere. I know - Susie Downer aren't I!!!
    A delight to see that beautiful primula...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea of having a portable charger! It will come in with me at night, not wanting to expose it to low or very high temps, but it will be my constant companion when I go out. It came with me on my errands today, once I got under way. One of their selling points is that it's safe to have in the car when you drive.

      Delete
  5. You certainly landed on your feet. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! Well done.
    Nice charger, smaller than the besdt I use to have.
    Phone. After hours of frustration using old cell phone to online research, I found an unlocked Motorola model at a good price. Good luck shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people love to geek out over shopping for electronics. To me it's the faster, the better. My current phone has served me well for two years and took less than a minute to choose and pay for, in the store. It was the cheapest smartphone geared to Tracfone Wireless, and has given me no problem other than I need more storage. They tend to preload with unmovable apps that fill up too much storage before you even get started. But It's a Motorola, and I've been happy with it. It would work with the change to 4G, but I may as well change it while it's still charging enough to do the transfer. Last time I changed it was because my phone had died, and that was a much bigger hassle.

      Delete
  7. Well done! Were you a Girl Guide in a former life? You are well-prepared for emergencies.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!