Tuesday, December 22, 2020

What's in the parcels?

 Santa, or Tomte, is still hanging in there, bringing his sled of gifts.  I always want to know what's in the parcels, when you see boxed gifts in the movies.

And meanwhile, chez Boud, yesterday I got back into tortilla making.  Using the masa harina, the official flour of Mexican corn tortillas, courtesy of Chris, thank you, and her handwritten recipe, I got under way

I was planning on tortillas stuffed with chicken salad, with lettuce and cilantro

So I set to work, making the dough, and rolling it out.  I had forgotten the resting period needed, so by the time I got to the rolling, I was starving.

And I instantly underwent a rapid education in the difference between rolling out a dough with gluten rich flour, and one with gluten free masa harina.

Big difference in how it handles and responds.  I had to add a few drops of water to get the dough working better.  And I had a bit of trouble getting it off the plastic wrap, even though I'd oiled it, and went over to parchment paper, which worked a whole lot better.

I tried slapping it back and forth in my hands, with some success, but I still needed more rolling work to make it thin and big enough to actually work.  And here you see my lunch.  Next time I have to use little to no oil on the pan.  I forgot this, and out of force of habit, spritzed the pan with olive oil.  They were still nice and flexible, though, and rolled very obligingly for me.  

They definitely taste different from the flour tortillas I made recently, a nice change, in fact.

 So here's another few, now in the freezer, waiting till I need another tortilla.  Thanks, Chris, that was a nice experience.  And with a dry pan, they'll work even better.

I really like a lunch I can just pick up and eat.  Better than sandwiches. Also making the tortillas postponed my having to bake bread, always a good thing.  It's so easy, I have no idea why I put it off.

Meanwhile, soup is happening.  Sweet potato, pumpkin, red lentil, with bits of stuff added in from previous cooking, including the liquid from the canned chicken, which has a good flavor, and the potato starch from making the vichyssoise, I think, anyway, various little flavor-loaded containers got into the soup.


11 comments:

  1. Making tortillas is a skill it looks that you are doing well to master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much like any other pastry handling, really. Pretty friendly stuff to work with once you get acquainted.

      Delete
  2. I had two for dinner tonight, after thawing them. That worked okay, a bit less pliable than fresh, but still okay. One stuffed with chicken salad and green salad and cilantro, one with ham etc. Nice fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very experimental with your cooking adventures. I've never attempted tortillas and probably never will. However, today I made almond crescent cookies, very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound lovely. I do like almond flavor.

      Delete
  4. Well done, Liz! As you say - things go easier once you and the dough get acquainted.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually bought a tortilla press at a little Mexican grocery store. I believe I used it once. It's still there, at the back of the cabinet that August told me a few days ago I should organize.
    He's right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend gave me her grandmother's pizzelle iron, which I used once. Then free cycled to a young man who was thrilled. Said, oh it's like having my Nonna back!

      Delete
  6. You just need a tortilla press. Easy to find and use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I somehow think that making these would be a lesson in disaster if it's anything like making pie crust which I simply can't do. I like to eat them though - provided someone else does the making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you have warm hands? they militate against pastry making, get the dough warm and not happy. Mine are cool and dry, and work a treat with pastry. Not so much with yarn, I must say.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!