Monday, December 28, 2020

Signs of life

After bitter weather, low temps, freezing and thawing, some plants are just intrepid. Here's food getting under way on the patio.  Bittercress, growing well inside the patio, away from the demon landscapers' spraying.

Some of this will go nicely on my soup for lunch.  It grows prolifically around here, in grassy areas, but the only hitch is that they are also areas that get sprayed, so you have to proceed with caution. But I like it as an interesting addition to a green salad.  Or anywhere, really.

And when the leaves drop from trees in the fall, they leave behind the start of buds for next year, always a cheering thought. Here's the Japanese maple.

Then, reason #687878 why I love sedum, here's the Autumn Joy sedum rosettes already making an appearance, under ice and cold, see them, tiny blue green buds there? I'll remove the dead foliage from last year soon, after the rosettes start developing, but for now it's okay for protection.

 
 

All this burgeoning reminds me that in a couple of weeks it will be time for my Annual Witch Hazel Hunt.  The witch hazel blooms in January and there are a couple of bushes within walking distance, just right for me to go along and swipe a few little twigs to put in water.  Then the minute blossoms, perfect miniatures, develop, and a scent along with them. like this, about a quarter inch across, at least the variety I see.

Garden Variety: Witch hazel adds color to your winter garden | News,  Sports, Jobs - Lawrence Journal-World: news, information, headlines and  events in Lawrence, Kansas

Nature never seems to take a day off.  So much for everything closing down and sleeping through the winter. 


12 comments:

  1. Wow - who would have thought there would be so much actually growing this time of year but I suppose, had I spent any time contemplating that, I should have realized! I wonder if the witch hazel plants could be 'brewed' to make the medicinal lotion. Probably would need a truck load of it to make it worthwhile though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the little twigs I take wouldn't amount to much.

      Delete
  2. You are so right! Perhaps even the most work is done in winter as the plant appears to sleep but in truth, is creating the genesis for what appears to be the sudden crazy growth in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the weather warms up a bit (+1 degrees+++) I'll snip some apple twigs along with the usual Forsythia. I'll be scrutinizing every blessed thing now just in case its alive! Today didn't want freezing rain down my neck while snipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to cut a dogwood branch soon, too. It's surprising how lively the plants are, if you look closely.

      Delete
  4. We've had such a mild winter here in TX, everything is just growing right along. The bad thing about that? I had to mow yesterday! Wish I could grow witch hazel here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to the four distinct seasons, where you can definitely stop certain activities on cue. First frost, etc. I wonder if witch hazel is a shrub that needs cold winters? It grows pretty well around here, usually in parks and landscapes.

      Delete
  5. I love how you noticed the buds on the trees just as winter is setting in. I don't usually start looking for them until winter's end... You've given me a new perspective, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started noticing several years ago, when a naturalist pointed out to me that the old leaves are basically pushed off the tree by the new leaves establishing their buds. Which surprised me until I went and looked, and she was right.

      Delete
  6. I leave all the dead foliage until spring is on the doorstep as it provides food and shelter for birds (like the sunflower and cosmos seeds) and bugs and tender new growth. it looks untidy but it is part of the cycle. my gingko trees are full of fat buds waiting to turn into leaves. lots of confusion though. I have a bluebonnet plant that is sending out a bloom stalk about 3 months early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so many pests that thrive on the dead foliage that it's balancing act to know when to remove it. But it will be tossed into the belt of woodland behind the house anyway, so it will provide shelter there, too.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!