Wednesday, December 16, 2020

I ran out of bread, so I was forced to make these

 But first, the Christmas tree showed up on the Advent Calendar, lit and ready to go.

 

And here are the cranberries, from Misfits, and Canadian, which seems strange to a person living in the cranberry state, but the NJ cranberries all seem to be contracted to big companies to make drinks and other cranberry adjacent products.  Anyway, these are very good.


And pancakes, which the cookbook calls crepes, which they are not, crepes being so thin as to be transparent,and these are thin, but definitely pancakes the way I like them.  I'm not a fan of the ones that look like athletic shoe soles.

And for once I did let the batter rest for an hour, and found that is a very good idea.

First layer of cranberry sauce


 Then a couple more, and a drawing of molasses on top.  Very good afternoon tea yesterday, with a pot of tea.  Celebratory.


7 comments:

  1. mmmm Canadian cranberries on pancakes, that would be very delicious. I had cranberries on my porridge today, plus raisins and walnuts.
    I always make the thin pancakes too, don't really like those thick ones. Depends what you grow up with really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's what you grew up with. My mother despised thick pancakes and soup with big chunks of veggies. She didn't have a blender, but I think she grated veg for soup. And now find I make thin pancakes and blended soups!

      Delete
  2. The cranberry jam looks so good. I love pancakes and crepes but I haven’t made crepes in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it again just now for dessert after a bowl of red cabbage soup. The cranberry sauce flavor is better today, and the cabbage soup has lost some of the red color, not half as scary now. And the flavor is better each day.

      Delete
  3. mmmmm - cranberries. I haven't met one I didn't like!! Speaking of which, Resident Chef made a most tasty cranberry cake yesterday and I'm hard pressed not to make little side trips into the kitchen for another nibble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast today, pancakes with cranberry sauce. Good stuff.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!