Friday, December 18, 2020

Late breaking vegetables

 After I'd written the previous post, my Misfits market box arrived.

Flour and oats from the extras department, and various fruit and veg. ncluding a mango, which doesn't seem to be showing up here.  I've decided that my mid morning fruit doesn't always have to be an apple, big departure there.  It can be a kiwi fruit, or a helping of blueberries,  bit of mango, very daring.

Greens of various kinds taking a cool bath to crisp up the lettuce, revive the cilantro which it did, and wash grit off everything, broccoli, scallions, amazing how much grit you wash off this stuff.

Some of this will be my Friday night salad.  And Saturday and probably Sunday, too.

I haven't bought cilantro in ages, and, not being one of the people whose genes dictate that it tastes like soap, was interested in having a bit right now.  It will go nicely in green soups and salads, but I wondered if there were any other uses.  I love the smell of it on my fingers after I've been handling it.

So I looked up cilantro recipes.  And found a lot of them, where there were 52 ingredients, multiple processes, and a bit of cilantro sprinkled on top at the end.  Which reminded me of the recipe I found in Wisconsin in the early 60s, for Beef Curry.  Now, a true Brit, I'd basically lived on Indian food for years at the uni, and the spices were just fine, which pleases my Indian neighbors who, when they want to share food, ask a bit anxiously if I can do spices. So I thought Beef Curry would be good, since I'd got to be a dab hand at chicken curry before we emigrated, and I was now in the land where there was excellent beef.

And found that it was basically a beef stew with one pinch of curry powder added in at the end. Which is no more a curry than my Auntie Mary, mythical lady, is a movie star.  Perfectly nice beef stew (this was back when I ate beef before going off it) but not a curry by any stretch.

However, this was in the days when salt and pepper were  the staple condiments and the sort of mild mustard you got on hot dogs was considered pushing out the boat a bit.  It was also the bad old days where a salad could consist of various veggie-adjacent items in green jello.  Over which we will draw a veil.

So there will soon be soup and various ways of eating veggies, and I think I will finally make those flour tortillas with the authentic flour courtesy of Chris, and stuff them with cheese and salad things, and who knows what else may occur to me. And I'll call them Cilantro Tortillas. You'll get the blow by blow as I do it, unless you get lucky. And there will be blueberry muffins. And possibly an apple crumble, those being Granny Smiths. And now that I have enough flour, maybe even bread will happen.

Speaking of shopping adventures, I try to hold down how much I ask Handsome Son to pick up for me at the store, so I thought I'd order a bunch of boxes of tissues online.  And got the usual confirmation, and expected date of arrival.  Then a later one.  Then a later one.  Then, sorry, it's running behind. Then it will be there tomorrow.  Then today. Then, sorry, it's lost, please click here to process a refund unless you want a replacement.  Since they hadn't done so well with the first try I clicked for a refund rather than wait all over again for a replacement.  That was yesterday.  Today the carton arrived.  Who knows what they'll say tomorrow.

My kitchen smells like an old fashioned produce store.  Like the greengrocer's shop I grew up with.  Or the horse drawn cart that came around the streets, big white horse, housewives used to save crusts for him. 

It's the smells that trigger memory.  Like Proust's madeleine waking up the reptilian brain.  Did you know there's a perfectly wonderful graphic novel about the first part of Proust's A La Recherche du Temps Perdu?  It's brilliant, the graphics totally getting the concepts and conveying them movingly. It's in my library. It's also in English, sorry, should have said that. I'm hoping they continue with a second volume, but it must have been very time-consuming to make the first volume, so possibly patience will be useful here.


12 comments:

  1. I get why that smells like a produce store...Misfits is generally poorly reviewed online, so I'm glad you are having good experiences with them. I grew up with commissary and locally cultivated Chinese gardens, and I miss those gardens to this day. I made a fish chowder today, all from the pantry which is actually my bedroom closet. Enjoy your bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the occasional complaint on Twitter and wonder why they don't dm rather than go nuclear. And they never show evidence, pictures, name of shipper, etc, which makes me wonder if they're real or just trolls.

      But there are quite a few good reviews, too, with pix like mine of excellent quality produce. And some funny ones with pix saying what's this, and how do I cook it? Showing a Jerusalem artichoke or kohlrabi, or something

      Delete
  2. Happy Salad!
    No experience with ordering food delivered like that. I read about misfits only here. Grocery store wise, a few bloggers have good experiences despite order mix ups. My one time local grocery delivery service folks, order was a disaster, nearly all day and into the night delay after delay. I finally canceled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard similar disaster stories about local grocery stores unused to packing for pickup, just falling down completely. They seem to have little idea how it's done, so used to customers coming in and doing their own picking and carrying away, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. Staying inside with vegetables - another excellent idea! Our carrots are down to only about 10 lbs, so we'll be trying out Misfit in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to new culinary adventures!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them. And are not turning orange from the carrots!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing what you do with your misfits boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the soapy cilantro camp unfortunately. Really wish I liked it because it smells wonderful. Looks like you got another great box of misfits. None of it looks the least bit 'unfit' to my eyes.
    Interesting story about the tissues delivery. We're currently watching a parcel that was ordered by #2 son for us for Christmas that has (at least according to the web site) never been picked up at source by Purolator since Dec. 4th so it's not even showing any remote movement anywhere. Sure not holding out any hope it will arrive in time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That response to cilantro is like my inability to eat sourdough bread without agonizing tingling throughout my face. Like a UTI only in your mouth! And I've sampled excellent sd bread in San Francisco, highly recommended. I think I must be allergic to it. Even reading about it starts my teeth up!

      Delete
    2. I must say I'm very glad I'm not allergic to sourdough bread because that's pretty much all we've had since covid started. There was a brief session of making beer bread when we weren't able to get yeast but then a friend gave us a SD starter and that's been ongoing.

      Delete
  6. I like cilantro having grown up with TexMex my whole life. I've planted it several times but it bolts so fast in our heat that I don't bother anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A while ago I was shopping in the Asian store, Chinese owned, little English spoken, when a Chinese lady stopped me to ask for help. Her English was pretty good, her Mandarin native fluent, but the store staff couldn't help. What is this, showing me little note, and where is it? Note said cilantro, name unknown to the store folk. I said yeah, it's here, showing her a whole display of it. Oh, she says, we call that Chinese parsley! Cracked me up. I thought only westerners said that,and not very polite, really. Anyway she went off happy after asking me to say cilantro a couple of times so she could catch the sounds. Difficult letter combinations for Chinese speakers.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!