Friday, April 1, 2022

White rabbits! April fool's day

White rabbits! First day of the month. Also April Fool's Day, but I don't think practical jokes are in order just now.

The rabbit showed up on the calendar, starting the gardening year.


And, this being the opening day for Canterbury pilgrimages in Chaucer's time, here's a contemporary manuscript about the Tales of the Canterbury Pilgrims.


The pilgrimages were also a bit commercial -- there was merch, such as pins, as souvenirs of the trip. And I think for a religious outing honoring St Thomas Becket, murdered in the cathedral, they did manage to fit in some partaying.

And here's the last day before the curtain goes up on the daffodils out front


Later today it's Misfits box and knitting group, meanwhile I've taken Steve's recommendation, and borrowed this on my Kindle


I'll give it a try. Not  usually a big fan of dystopian fiction, but I did get through Hunger Games, so we'll see. It's good to challenge your own preferences now and then. Says she virtuously!

Ukrainian helicopters have blown up fuel depots in Belarus, which had been planned for Russian use. 





13 comments:

  1. A friend posted a notice from Plantasia, the giant greenhouse with animals in Swansea. They were saying that new Zoo regulations had come in and where possible animals needed to be exercised on their typical terrain. As a result they were looking for volunteers to walk crocodiles on Swansea Bay. I got really excited - until my friend pointed out the date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the world is still giving us unfunny jokes every day for two years now I'm also not up for April Fool's jokes or pranks. That's a cute rabbit though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put Station Eleven on my wish list at my library. It is available to borrow now, but I have too many other books to get through first! Looking forward to your take on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've reminded me I need to change my calendar. You are right in that it can be good to challenge your reading preferences sometimes. I have done so and been happy I took the challenge even though a few times it did not work out so good. I think part of it is in the talent of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book club broadened my exposure to literature and my enjoyment of the dystopian genre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember studying some of the stories of the Canterbury Tales when I learned about that time period in school in London. So long ago. The rabbit is so cute is he telling you to begin planting seeds now? A little early for me, but indoors would work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Hunger Games so I could discuss it with my granddaughter. I quit after that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can’t recall every hearing the white rabbit(s) bit until today — now for the second or third time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. White rabbits back to you, and what sweet calendar art!

    Daffodil trumpets tomorrow, I predict. Let us know how you like Station Eleven - I hadn't heard of it till Steve posted about it, and then raves from commenters.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty calendar illustration.
    April Fool's day was a bit of a non-event as far as I could see and probably a good thing although a bit of frivolity would probably do us good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was delighted to hear that Levon's preschool class at a local Jewish synagogue made baby chick art yesterday. Bunnies and chicks are definitely spring celebrations I can get behind.
    August was full of April Fool's foolishness. He's grasped the concept to a rather ridiculous degree. I was delighted in his innocent enjoyment of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!