Saturday, April 9, 2022

Taxes, crafters, Misfits and socks

You could set that title to the kind of music that creates instant earworms. You're welcome, I'm sure.

Misfits box arrived last evening about eight, I'm betting their last delivery of the day.

All in order though



Slight mishap with the box of blueberries, which came in one of those cardboard protectors, which popped open, making the box fly up in the air, land on the floor and burst open, to the joy of the tiny ants now in residence, while I crawled around the floor retrieving them, berries, not ants,  from under shelves and other unlikely places.

Carrots and potatoes will feature in next week's Easter dinner with Handsome Son. He'll be working Easter Sunday probably, so a day or two after that. 

I just do the main course at holidays, leaving the cheese and crackers before and the dessert after, to him.  Easter usually brings jelly beans and tiny chocolate eggs in plastic egg container things. Silly and fun.

Then good news from the local taxman: the state Homestead Rebate, who names these things, will this year knock a sizeable amount off my May taxes on the house. That still leaves a large amount to pay, NJ being proudly Number 1 nationally in amount of real estate taxes, but I'll take it anyway.

And here's the current reading, aside from a funny E J Copperman mystery e-book



The Hewett book interviews and commissions essays from a wide variety of women of color in the craft world.

Thoughtful interviews with people like the wonderful Sonya Phillips about whom I've gone on about before, and a lot of crafters less well known. 

The only tiny drawback is that it's so moving that I have to run make stuff every couple of pages. It may take a while to read it at this rate. 

I haven't started the Barking at the Choir yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

And here's a side effect of the craft book


I had intended to take a few days off from knitting, but suddenly realized I could invent a stretchy cast on, much trickier than the stretchy cast off, so there you are. The start of a top down spiral tube sock. Sorry about the pink, Mary Anne, it's what's there in the box of supplied yarn.

Yesterday I had to break errands into two parts, getting a wave of weakness after the post office sock-dispatch run and library, and had to go home and rest then set off again after lunch to do a bit of food shopping. I think it's the last hurrah of the vax aftereffects.  Okay now. Just a word in case any blogistas experience anything like it. It passes.

In between all these enthralling events, I potted up a couple of begonia cuttings I'd rooted in water for Gary, and delivered the pot next door, also forcing him to come pick up the case of wrenches, siphons, hoses and miscellaneous stuff he'd left here after the plumbing. He still hasn't accepted payment for the toilet, keeps saying next week, next week. He'd never make it as a plumber. As a neighbor he's world-class.


15 comments:

  1. Massachusetts' nickname is Taxachusetts. :)
    Ants and Blueberries sounds like a good book title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Barking at the Choir" -- great title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, take that break on real estate tax! Our MN property tax was also very high. But the social services provided in MN were very good, so we didn't mind paying.

    In my favorite science fiction series (Liaden Universe by Lee and Miller), one of the characters uses crocheting to visualize complex mathematics involved in space flight. Numbers brought into 3D reality via textiles! Thought you might appreciate that concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crochet in thinking about 3D math issues is not too surprising. Knitting, too, is basically programming. Crochet however, has 3D aspects which have defeated the idea of machine crochet. Crocheting machines haven't happened, unlike sewing, knitting and spinning machines where the 2D and basic linear construction of yarn and stitches lend themselves to machine adaptation.

    Our taxes mainly support the school system, most recently 78% went to schools. We have a great school system, but not a lot else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gregory Boyle is an interesting man. The book you have isn’t quite as compelling as his first one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texas is also in the top 10 for highest property taxes (#6). Ugh. Yum - fresh blueberries - I'd be crawling around rounding up every one of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband put on his plumber's hat yesterday and changed out the fancy faucet and shower attachment on our old tub. The one we had was leaking and the shower attachment was broken. The box with the new one had been sitting in my bathroom for awhile but I nudged him yesterday with the fact that Maggie was coming over and would need a nice warm bath before bed.
    And he did it!
    It took all day but it is a thing of beauty and works well.
    Your Misfits box looks fantastic as always! And that pink for the socks is REALLY pink, isn't it? Nothing wishy-washy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if you're doing pink, may as well do it!
    I've never had a relationship in which the partner was the handyman. It was usually me, with partner fluttering around making firm statements.. People in the sciences and math and publishing. I never found a talented builder or fixer upper. Where did I go wrong?? Not about to take it on again though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes me smile New Jersey has good schools. Sorry if I posted before...I graduated from (an excellent) high school in New Jersey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be nice to celebrate Easter with your son whenever he is available.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SP, which town? I didn't know you had Jerseygirl credentials.

    Marie, yes, the day doesn't matter really, just the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone watching Miss Marple noted that she holds knitting needles differently. She asked if it was a British thing and was answered in the affirmative. So, I guess you do as well?

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's only one way to hold dpns, no matter what the nationality. So I'm not sure what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don’t know what I mean either. I’m just asking on the basis of what others have said, which was that Brits hold them differently.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, that pink isn't too gruesome - at least it's not baby pink which is definitely on my list of yuck.
    I must admit I laughed when I read the 'Barking At the Choir' and immediately remembered art work that made the rounds probably back in the 60's that featured dogs playing cards. Now how my brain went from the book to the other thought is a mystery even to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!