Thursday, April 28, 2022

Spring Handwear for the Mature Fashionista

The weather looks bright and sunny and the wind is sweeping down from the Arctic.
So here's the handwarmer gear I had to use to get the mail, do the recycle, all that, needing free fingers.
 it's Tunisian crochet I was doing a while ago. These are simply designed, work fine. It's Tunisian Simple Stitch. I mean, that's the name of it. I realized I should explain that when a knitter I showed them to, when I said it was simple stitch, retorted that's easy for you to say!

It's a cross between knitting and crochet, invented sometime in the nineteenth century and given an exotic name. As far as I know, Tunisia doesn't enter into it, but I'm open to correction if anyone knows better.

Meanwhile back on the deck, Mike the contractor/artist friend came and assessed what's needed. For him, pretty simple. He'll do it in the next few days.

He lives across the street and has been occupied keeping his two little dogs safe while his fence was gone, they being used to play freely on the patio, and now not at all happy about collars and leashes. 

His new gate is now in place, high enough that the dogs can easily figure out how to get under it. So he's designing something to avoid that. He's about as happy as I am about the tackiness and clumsy design of the new fences. He's a craftsman and he's in pain over it. They're flimsy, ss he showed me, easily bowing the side wall by rocking it.  He said it would not tolerate the weight of planters hung from it, don't try it.
However we might get together later to design some freestanding wood supports to grow plants on.  We'll see.

And here's the Pair in Progress aka PIP
Looks as if Biden wants to apply the seized oligarch assets to help finance the war in Ukraine. That would be very satisfying. I hope Congress agrees. Except for the inevitable ones who won't, that is.

18 comments:

  1. A cross between knitting and crocheting -- interesting! Nice finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy plant supports! I suspect a concrete base for hanging planters might be in your future. Single or posts with a rod between for hangers are the options I am considering. Summer doesn't feel like summer without hanging plants.

    Love the color of the yarn

    ReplyDelete
  3. The texture of the had warmers is so intricate. Does the Tunisian simple stitch call for the changes in color?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of my photo glove, which you and I have discussed previously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color changes were my design, using a lot of short lengths. You can work in a solid color if that's your choice. It's
    fun to do.

    SP, good ideas there. I do like hanging plants, too. The weather's still so chilly there's no rush for this year.

    AC, I don't remember about your glove. But that's entirely possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are many occasions in which fingerless gloves come in handy and yours are beautiful! How sad the fence was not built to be sturdy and better designed. Sometimes I almost feel like giving up on anything being made of good quality and meant to last these days. Money is at the core of everything these days so why make good products when you can make them cheap and sell more when they break down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love those gloves! The colors can best be described as "happy". And the needlework is so intriguing!
    How disappointing about the new fence. I can only imagine that a true craftsman is indeed deeply unhappy about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy seeing your needle work. My nonna was a prolific crocheter, I still have an afghan she made for me when I was a child and several pieces of her tatting. It's discouraging to buy and pay to install a product which turns out to be defective in some way. You are fortunate to have your talented neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never quite got round to Tunisian crochet but have several books with "how tos" in them.
    I'm liking the colour of these socks and also Biden's idea for financial help for Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marrianne, you'd be great at Tunisian with your skills in crochet and knitting. It's really fun to do. In fact I fancy getting the hook out and doing a bit. But first to finish the second sock, and stitch the vest.

    Sandra,do you do any needle crafts? I tried tatting and got a bit tattered in the process, but I liked trying it.

    Mary yes I can see you'd love these colors, so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your gloves. I have a pair of fingerless. I wear the right one in the winter to handle my mouse. I cannot bear the cold plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to knit them for Handsome Partner, whose hands became intolerably cold all the time. He loved them in the house, could handle pages and utensils with them on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That hand glove is a beautiful pattern. Such gloves are a great item when traditional mitts and gloves won’t do. I have a few pairs of manufactured ones which aren’t near as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're a simple pattern--a rectangle made to fit around my hand snugly, stitched up one side leaving an opening for my thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a similar pair of gloves that my boss made me a few years ago. She thought (correctly) that I'd want my fingers free to operate my camera!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a pair of fingerless gloves from back in my river guide days. Well, not fingerless but no tips on the fingers. What a bummer that the new fence is not only ugly but flimsy. I believe I'd complain to the HOA. New pair of socks looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alas the HOA are the people who approved it. I've been saying all along that it was ugly, just panels of plastic. I appear not to be alone in this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the colour of the new socks. Sorry to hear the fence is still being a PIA but it sounds as though you're fortunate to have a handyman willing and able to find a solution to at least some of the issues.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!