Monday, April 11, 2022

Mystery pics, rehoming of spiders, Welsh rarebit, too

Today the cleaners come and I go out to be out of the way. A bit chilly, it might mean knitting and reading in the car in a sunny spot.

Meanwhile, blogger, or my phone in a conspiracy,  did weird stuff yesterday. I had posted two different daffodil pictures, then later noticed after I'd published, that one had vanished and been replaced by a duplicate of the other. 

Went to find the missing one, found it had been replaced on my phone with a screenshot of my home screen. Hm. So I deleted the dupe, and found where I'd posted the set on Twitter, did a screenshot, and here it is, unless other weird stuff happens.


And I'm ready to rehome houseplant cuttings and offshoots. My cleaning family are interested in the spider plant babies, so they're getting a bag of them today


All wrapped in damp paper towels.

The parent plant is looking a bit more kempt now, just a few offspring instead of a riot of them all over the floor.

And I revived an old favorite Sunday supper dish yesterday, a sort of Welsh rarebit, baked cheddar, tomato and egg, over toast. 400°f for about 20 minutes.




And a salad of mixed greens, tomato, apricots and walnuts. 

No need for dressing, plenty already going on there.

I took a picture of my vaccination certificate for my records, and my dance card is now full. I wonder if I'll get a second card, or a bit added on to the current one, if we continue needing boosters. It's like having a jammed full passport.

19 comments:

  1. I haven't fixed Welsh rarebit in decades, not since the kids were young only what I fixed did not involve an egg. It was a cheesy/flour mix cooked on the stovetop and poured over toast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty spider plant! I had one in a pot set on an old tree stump in my free yard. The tree stump is slowly becoming part of the earth again and wouldn't you know- it's surrounded by spider plants that dropped off the mother and somehow seem to survive living outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Women your rarebit sounds like the classic recipe. Mine's more improv.

    Mary, they do well outside here in summer, but can't take the colder seasons. They certainly are prolific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I typed Ellen!! Stupid text replaced it with a different word entirely, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fresh tomatoes and cheese toasted together are such a taste treat! I did mine on a homemade (I get mine from someone in the village) tortilla with some fresh okra sliced thin.

    The daffodils with the salmon-colored trumpets are lovely. Glad you found the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welsh Rarebit is a family comfort food at my house though I don't use eggs in mine. All my children love it and fix it for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of eggy things...we had savory German pancakes for dinner last night - stupendous! Just learned about them and wow!

    Not sure how to size down to a one-person meal; for two I used 3 eggs, 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 c cheese, 1/2 c flour, pinch salt and pepper, plus thyme, tarragon and chives (fresh from the garden, yay chives!). Blended till foamy, poured into a piping hot skillet pulled from a 425 degree oven (pour batter into skillet AFTER you melt a Tb or two of butter in the blazing hot skillet), then back into the oven for 20 min.

    Now we'll have to play around with Welsh rarebit!

    Hope you find a warm place in sun for the car knitting/reading party. Actual chilly rain here today, we're kicking up our heels!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, that sounds like something my Mom made a couple of times, ancient memories. Very glad you're getting st least some moistures. We could definitely spare our

    I have several daffodil varieties, the earliest ones now fading, the midseason ones booming now and the tiny late season white with tiny trumpets budding up now. It's a small display but a dramatic one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Supper looks and sounds like my kind of meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A specialized embosser press, if it costs more than 2 injection cards?

    ReplyDelete
  11. SP, I don't follow your point. What's a specialized embosser press?

    ReplyDelete
  12. And as a side note, thanks to your pointer (I think it was from you, weeks or months ago) about rooting scallion bottoms: I planted one in a pot on the kitchen windowsill and the new shoot is 'shooting' up at an inch a day. I can practically see it grow! What a wonder!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  13. That reminds me that I have some garlic starting to sprout. I can plant them and get scapes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha Ha! You got me. I thought I was going to read about you catching and releasing actual spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You took me back with the Welsh rarebit. I had forgotten all about that dish and I used to fix it a lot when my kids were young. Your salad looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too bad I didn't live closer to you because I'd be lined up on your doorstep in hopes of some spider babies. I've never had much luck at keeping them alive but I am ever hopeful.
    Welsh rarebit - haven't had that since grade nine home economics class. I remember I'd never heard of it and thought it was a very strange name. Of course in those days we didn't have the internet to look up the origin of words. (no sooner said than googled and evidently it's a slangy version of Welsh Rabbit, which rather defies description because there's no rabbit in it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are various versions of the name, and I don't think anyone really knows the origin. Definitely no rabbit in it.
    If you lived near, you'd have to fight off the various offshoots and cuttings I spray about. Plants seem to grow so furiously I'm constantly cutting back and giving away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!