Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Textiles and Tea, stove repair prep

Aftereffects of the booster seem to be fading now,  happy to report. About a day's worth of bouts of shivering chills and feeling like flu, alternating with feeling just fine. I did get things done in the feeling well intervals.

One involved sorting the stove ready for today's repairman. I took out the heavy cast iron pans from the storage drawer, then took out the drawer, dislodging a spider or two, and swept under it.  


I expect he will have to pull out the stove from the wall and this will save time from what will probably be an expensive repair.  In about fifteen years it's the second repair, so I guess that's not so bad. I'd like to keep it going. 

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea, with Robyn Spady,  was very entertaining, a speaker properly set up, very audible, engaging, clearly used to an audience. 

The slight drawback to a non loom weaver was that her technical discussion of complex weave forms and patterns was baffling. It was one of the times it would have been nice to have Joanne here to explain.

But I still enjoyed the designs she showed, and there are books and an online magazine for weavers who want to know more. 








From her comments about teaching, I think she's a great teacher, concerned with putting herself in the place of the student, rather than excitedly talking about what engrosses her. 

Looking forward to having a working stove again here, happy day everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Glad to read the booster discomfort is over. Happy Working Stove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cast iron looks like mine! Well-used.
    I sure hope that your stove is an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're seeing improvement on the reaction front - and also glad that you're stove repair will be happening. Hopefully it will be at minimal cost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better post-booster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll need my booster too. The first booster was much worse for me than the original shots. So not looking forward to it, but still so much needed and so glad they have it available. It must help to have a pull-out stove when something goes wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our second booster will begin soon we were told this morning. Good luck with your stove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm admiring your cast iron cookers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe just as well your booster discomfort was coincident with unusable stove since you probably didn't feel up to cooking anyway? Hope all functions - yours and he stove's - are back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The latest power board for our old stove lasted just over two months. It is under warranty for three months and we were within that time. However, they expected to reimburse us for the piece and change us the new rate for a new one, $100 extra now. Unbelievable! It is hard to fight the system!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debra, yes, I gave up on understanding how the patterns were constricted, just decided to consider them nice pictures.

    SP I now have a temporarily working stove, part on order, yay.

    Mary, yes, the cast iron is what I treasure, use it daily. I could probably shed the other pans.
    Becki, didn't you recently start using cast iron? It's great for food you start o
    n the burner then finish in the oven.

    Inger and bill, I'm glad you're going for it, even if there are aftereffects, or as Handsome Son the texter puts it:aftrefxs!
    Wilma I was do adrift without the stove I made soup and pancakes, not exactly taking it easy.

    Marie, that's a horror story about the control panel. They're expensive anyway, and you always get to pay for labor all over again, warranty or not. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those all are complex weaves, many harnesses. The bottom is a summer/winter weave, the back opposite the front. I liked the "Who's your tabby?" notation. I hadn't thought of anything that complex. Tabby is just plain weave between rows that are identical, to keep them separate. It's a thin thread that can be almost invisible. And I realize, it doesn't need to be tabby. It can be in some pattern, adding to the complexity of the overshot design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hoping to make an appointment for #4 this morning. The 6th wav e is exploding around here. Fortunately, most cases are not too severe, but some are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you are feeling better. We haven't got our 2nd booster yet. I'm feeling a little hesitant. Four shots in a year and 3 months seems a little excessive but I imagine I'll get it. I really don't want to get covid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Liz, I recently acquired a 10-inch cast iron skillet and I love it. I'm admiring your collection, and am intrigued at what looks like a cast iron roasting dish in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's the baking pan. Wonderful for cake.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!