Wednesday, April 20, 2022

New day, new idea, and Textiles and Tea

Yesterday I was thinking about what sewing to get involved in next, also if I could Freecycle more clothes. One idea blended with the other and I found old thriftie jeans, always too big despite the number on the label, and realized I might as well make them into something or other. 

Old, faded nicely, three great pockets with sparkly stuff, so I set to work.






Decided on a vest, and for a pattern used the jacket I made without a pattern (!)  using a lovely piece of fabric woven by Joanne, thank you, J.

I know it works because I've worn the jacket a lot, just needed to adjust the sleeve bit.

And in forty five minutes I had my next bit of sewing set up ready to thread a needle.





I think this will be good.  I need to seam the shoulders and sides then finish the edges with bias tape. Attach the pockets, insert keys, ready to go. New life for old pants.

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured Heather Allen Hietala, who paints on her weaving. 

She wrote a book about rag weaving under the name of Heather Allen, which is why I inserted the middle name, in case you go in search of it.

She spent the first couple of  minutes talking about alopecia, total hair loss, which she has had for years, how traumatic it is, how loss of eyelashes is particularly difficult, no protection from grit and dust. She gave info on the alopecia organization, too. Very good public service there. 

Then she showed us some painterly weavings and discussed modern rag weaving, which is a lot more sophisticated than you might think.










She's done all kinds of dyeing, among other textile adventures, which continue.  Behind her on the studio wall, lined with Homasote, which you can pin things to, are  items, passing ideas and reminders in tactile form, plans for future work. 

She's done textile restoration and copying, some of her work in the Biltmore home of the Vanderbilt family, now open as a museum.

She has a great feel for receding planes, which you see in her designs, ambiguity, the hallmarks of the twentieth century European painter. Her name is Finnish and she's spent time in Scandinavia, which you can see influences her design.

Bear with me,  I forgot to crop, but I don't claim photography credits. I think the gist is there. Certainly she's worth even my humble efforts. 

I'd like to see her book, but my library system doesn't show it. It's far from new, maybe a second-hand pursuit will be called for.

Another time I'll tell you about my own hand dyed and worked rag rug on burlap, depicting an Aztec war god,  and its reception by Handsome Son, then Handsome Toddler.  Yes, it's funny.

From over fifty years ago, been dyeing and designing and just trying stuff for a loooong time.


The putrid man has decided that if he can't get all of Ukraine, then he'll have  Donbas, so there. Meanwhile we've got a lot more aircraft on the way for the Ukrainian air force. Maybe P will not have such an easy time after all.


14 comments:

  1. You are so talented, making good use of old and faded jeans. I love old and faded jeans, they should never be done away with if one can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the vest! I saw make overs for clothes this morning on the NBC Third Hour. Now I have ideas. Your vest looks doable for me to start. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of those recycled jeans pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wizard at recycling and up-cycling! Pockets are the best part of jeans and you have taken advantage of that!
    Those are rag rugs? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great use for old jeans! I'm saving old jeans to make a picnic quilt. That vest will look wonderful on you and go well with different colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! A vest from old jeans! You never fail to amaze me, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your idea for the jeans, Liz; my own use is a bit more mundane, but since I cook on a woodstove I find that potholders tend to wear out entirely too quickly. Old jeans pockets, sewed sandwich-style together as a pair make just the right weight and size for potholders. Also, totally worn jeans usually have good sections that can be stitched the same way, as fancy or as simple as I like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some parts to use, the waistband, complete with button and buttonhole, the installed zipper and other bits. Maybe I'll take your lead and see if a couple of potholders can be extracted. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great vest! Great idea for pockets. I will have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work on the jeans! I love it when people repurpose old items that still have life in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the third life for the jeans. I got them at the thriftie, about $5, about ten years ago. Then wore them for ages, but I got smaller and they didn't. So now I'll wear them again in a different form.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like her work even if I'm not sure exactly how it's done. Weaves a rag rub and then dyes the design. Her edges of color are so crisp. And great was to use and reuse. You excel at that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great repurposing of a well-loved pair of jeans - I've never been a fan of trashing perfectly decent denim just because it's a little worn. I do, however, draw the line at wearing them with holes in the knees!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!