Thursday, April 14, 2022

Paper weaving, and food, surprise!

Yesterday was all about wondering what to eat since the larder was about bare in anticipation of a big Misfits box tomorrow, all being well.

While I was thinking about it, I thought I'd make a broth from the frozen bag of veg trimmings and chicken bones. I just found out that the difference between a broth and a stock is that one has meat related items and one doesn't.

In the background there is the water boiling ready for the bag of gnocchi I found in the freezer when I was getting out the bag of trimmings.

So that decided a couple of lunches. 





Dressed with a bit of Vermont butter and shredded parmesan. 

Meanwhile back on the stove, I figured I'd use the broth to make mushroom soup, long time since I did, using the white mushrooms in the main event, blended, and some leftover baby bella in slices. 

While I was pawing through the small freezer in search of frozen curry leaves for the soup, I found the dried seaweed which I've had for years, and forget I have it, broke a bit off to add. It looks like black grass then when it gets in the liquid, opens up into beautiful green fronds, mermaid hair. 


Then it vanishes on blending leaving a flavor of the ocean.

Among all this I also remembered to follow Chris's prompt about the scallions, and got out the sprouting garlic sections



And planted them in the hopes of scapes soon.

Then to the paper tubes and the proposed bathroom basket thing.

I quickly learned two things. One is that paper tubes are as strong and resistant as willow to manipulate. An unsuccessful attempt at starting a basket persuaded me to rethink.

So I rolled them flat with my heavyweight rolling pin, yet another kitchen tool conscripted into the world of art, and hope I can handle them better now.


Then I needed cardboard for the base of the basket, and in the course of recycling found a very nice perfectly clean folder, glossy card stock.

And traced the outline of the base of the plastic basket for which I have other plans


And this morning laid out the skeleton of what might be a basket, put the second base on top, weighted the whole thing down with a plant watering container. Water is a great material for weighing things down 



Then I got breakfast and a victory cup of tea. The doings will need drying time while I get on with Barking to the Choir, which is very good stuff. 

Gregory Boyle is a Jesuit, and I've had good personal encounters with them, rule breakers all, including the one who married us in defiance of his parish priest, a story for another post if you're interested. 

Anyway, I'm well disposed to the SJs I've known.  They didn't let religious rules get in the way of doing the right thing.

It's possible knitting might happen while I'm waiting for the glue to dry.

There's a title for a collection of essays or poems. Waiting For The Glue to Dry, the Power of Radical Patience.

Happy day, everyone!

More power to Ukraine.



 




9 comments:

  1. You earned that "victory cup of tea," LOL! And yes, tell us the Jesuit story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals look lovely - I love a broth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched the entire video of rolled paper projects yet but she does advise flattening the rolls. I love how she says, "Then make a million of them." At another point she says "billion". Not sure if this is going to be a project that will hold the boys.
    You are so creative with your meals! We've got some nice garlic growing in the garden. I've already used a few without drying first. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched her briefly but was irritated by her millions and billions. There are more encouraging YouTube channels. One says make 25 tubes for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could have the boys make two tubes each, then cut them into beads and string them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good food and creativity makes for a lovely day. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching what you do with the paper tubes is going to be interesting. Don't think my hands would be happy with the entire process but I wonder if moistening the paper tubes would be of any help. Might make them more pliable but there's probably a very good reason why it's not feasible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!