Thursday, April 7, 2022

Rain, baking spree, Sock Ministry

So I have good things to report about the happy reunion with a working oven. The repair people had undertaken to call between 8 and 9 with an ETA of the repairman. On the stroke of 8 they called. Expect him between 9 and 11. Bang on 10 he's there.  And they don't say stove or oven. They say range. As in home on the, I suppose.

Anyway, technician Larry pulled out the stove, did a hard reset, panel came to life. 


I could have done it but I can't pull out the stove and I wouldn't ask Gary, just too stressful for his aging back, and he's done enough. The techie did explain once the panel's gone out, it will do it again, so he's checking into getting a new panel unit. 

I notice the oven is now heating up about twice as fast as it had been lately. Probably a sign it was about to strike. 

Techie Larry told me the alternate way to do the reset, if it gives out in the meantime, is to turn it off at the breaker, leave it about an hour, try again.  

I had tried, unsuccessfully, to find the breaker on the circuit panel, which is badly labeled, when the oven first broke down.  I'll need a co-conspirator to let me know from indoors, the panel being in the storage closet outside the front door. One person outside switches, one  person inside shouts the results. So that's the interim plan.

So I paid a service visit charge, with geezer, I mean senior, discount. Could be worse.

And since I don't know how long it will hold up, got into a baking frenzy, just in case.


Raisin hot biscuits. I was almost out of olive oil so used homemade butter as well, very good results.


Giant loaf, making four smaller ones, once cut on those scorelines. Short of flour, too, used the last of the wholewheat, plus the last of the oatmeal, plus some gluten free flour which I don't need personally, but it was all I could get at the time. It's good considering all the substitutions.

The endless rain is also good, for the knitting output. Today I'll finish the Popular Purple Socks. Note they're posed on a hand dyed yellow cloth, opposite on the color wheel, very tricky stuff.

Tomorrow I'll send out a pack of four pairs. It's about a pair a week, I estimate. 

I don't feel pressed, though. I just do a couple of inches when I sit down, and soon there's a sock. Much faster than scarves or kitty blankets. It's calming work, particularly knowing that,  sitting alone in my house,  I'm still linked up with the other members of the knitting ministry.  

In another post I'll tell you about the kitty blanket caper. That was a different form of ministry.

Meanwhile breakfast in bed. Toasted hot biscuit, tea.




Praying for Ukraine and for the swift prosecution of the war criminals of Putin's army.



13 comments:

  1. Yay for fixed ranges. Love the colour of this socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your oven (oops sorry, range) is fixed now and you're in a baking frenzy, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be just as happy with a different color for the next pair of socks, but there's enough of the dreaded purple range, yarn color, not stove, to make more. I hope they don't result in special requests! But I can see someone is going to be happy receiving these current ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good friend of mine reports that biscuits made with nothing but self-rising flour and cream are delicious and beautiful. Have you ever made them like that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the stove is fixed! (What's the difference between a stove and a range, anyway? Is there one? Is a stove free-standing, while a range sits atop an oven? I'm going to have to look into that.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds complicated to reset the range. Had to look it up, evidently a range means a range of places to cook, ovens and cook too combos. A stove is a place to cook, on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, no I haven't. In fact I have avoided cream in biscuits, using olive oil as a better fat. But never say never! Maybe I'll try that. Does the friend use White Lily flour? Southern cooks do. It's different from the white flour available in the north -- softer wheat. I got it when we couldn't get flour a couple of years ago and I ordered online.

    SP, yes, the technicalities of appliances. Tech Larry referred to the control panel as the clock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good that the stove repair, even if temporary, was so simple.
    Is your dislike of purple and, as I recall, you severe aversion to reds, part of your synesthesia? To us non-synesthetes would that be akin to trying to work with yarn that stinks?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! So glad your stove was fixable and it's to be hoped that repair lasts a good long time. Our tech-minded #2 son highly recommends the 'unplug and leave for awhile' theory and it's surprising to me how often that seems to work.
    A pair of socks in a week - I bow to your lightning speed on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wilma, yes, it relates to synaesthesia, without getting too graphic about it!
    Mary Anne, the only issue with unplugging the stove, or range, or appliance, is getting at the plug! Next time Handsome Son is over, we'll establish which is the right breaker and label it once and for all, do I'll be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, we still call it oven or stove. I wonder if the in-people in Canada have also adopted range. We don’t always adopt Americanisms, but i suppose we mostly do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy you can get cookin' again. I missed your kitchen tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful to hear your stove is now repaired. A cooking spree is the best way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!