Friday, April 29, 2022

More Tunisian, art theory, and notes from an immigrant

I'm glad the Tunisian crochet was interesting, and I thought you'd like to see a few samples I made when I was learning. The simple stitch you saw yesterday makes a warm sturdy fabric, great for winter gloves, but there are other fancier ones, too.

There's knit and purl, and things like

Top, smock stitch, next honeycomb, next simple, and, at the bottom, feather and fan regular crochet. Feather and fan is really better knitted, I decided.

Anyway if you already knit or crochet, you might want to try it. Very small items can be worked on a regular crochet hook, so you don't need to buy a Tunisian hook, which is much bigger to allow for the buildup of stitches on the hook.

There was talk about immigrants on Mary's blog and I remembered I was one. When Handsome Partner was 29 and I was 24, we sailed out of Liverpool in late December 1963, with one trunk of books and two suitcases, bound for New York, having sold everything we could,  to put together the cost of the one way sailing tickets. We knew nobody and had no family at our destination.

From there we made our way to Wisconsin where HP was to do postdoctoral work, by invitation. One of my NJ Indian friends used to say we were the only people she knew who'd been invited!

That was post Sputnik and the US was in search of people like him, atom scientists, and people like me, modern language people, to add to the numbers.

When people point out that "but you spoke the language", well, yes, I thought that at first. But after the hundredth shout of "I can't understand a word you say, talk English!" Wisconsin folk being loud and blunt to our Brit ears, we realized that mime was going to be useful. 

And the daily struggle to learn new cultural unwritten expectations, everything different, was really tiring, despite all our energy and goodwill. 

One day, after a difficult time all day at my temp job, I was working from day two of arriving, I got home, went to switch on the light, and it wouldn't. I'd forgotten the US switch was opposite to the Brit one. I burst into tears, probably the only time it was just one thing too many, couldn't even switch the light on right!

It did get better. We made friends, enjoyed a lot of our discoveries, and never regretted the move.

I've been able to do work I'd never have had the chance of in the UK, we left for good reasons. Although we had not counted on pushback from the community who were very much against immigrants, even when we were bringing value, we learned to navigate it and seize the day.  

And I continue to navigate the othering which still persists. Just a couple of weeks ago a new member of the knitting group asked me "Where are you from, you talk with an accent! I mean where are you from really?"  Blessedly she didn't imitate me or ask questions about the UK as if I had arrived last week.  That still happens too, a regular reminder that to some people I really don't belong. But to me, I do. It's fine. And we all talk with an accent.

Menbers of both sides of my family have been living in the US since the 1850s, and that confuses the heck out of the otherers. 

I never thought anything of the emigration from the UK where we had few opportunities, because it was common among people who got good degrees and couldn't get jobs. 

Then I was asked about it by American friends who couldn't imagine doing it, alone, so young. We thought we were pretty grown up, though looking back I guess we were too young to be scared!

And your art notes for the day, if you wondered about portrait, vertical presentation and landscape, horizontal presentation, Moose Allain explains it all


Why I'm not planning on sitting on the patio just yet

And a lovely encouragement about the example set by Ukraine

Later today knitting group and Misfits. That's all, folks!

Happy day, everyone!



8 comments:

  1. Your remarks about culture shock are very interesting! Yes, even "speaking the same language" doesn't ensure a smooth transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your experience as a very young immigrant is exactly why I am so gobsmacked at those who manage to make that huge move with grace and courage.
    The Tunisian crocheting is really pretty and I wonder why I've never heard of it before. You do know the most interesting things, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing more of the Tunisian knitting. I see now that it is not a pattern as much as it is a technique.

    In academics, I think there is an expectation of moving to various institutions as part of the training and some of those institutions may be abroad. If you are at a well-recognized institution (university, training medical center, etc)it makes for a nice multicultural environment that draws people from around the world. Some folks wind up back in their home countries and some don't. Just having the experience of knowing people from different cultures sure made it easier for me and Dennis to move to Belize when we retired. On an interesting side note - Dennis grew up in Princeton although in a non-academic family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tunisian crochet is not knitting. It's a textile form. Interesting to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our daughter lived in London for five years. She felt the cultural differences for sure. She moved back to Canada so she could afford to have a family and own a home. She couldn’t have afforded either in London.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have sometimes watched a vlog of a Canadian woman living in the UK. There are several of this type including Americans in Canada or Brits in Canada. (How odd that spellcheck won’t capitalize canada.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'll try the Tunisian crochet. When I meet people from another country, I have to listen carefully and upon occasion "ask a what does that mean?" question. Of course, they do the same back at me (that things fixin' to fall).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a small sample of Tunisian when I was in my teens but haven't picked it up since. It's on the list.
    I have to admire those who pack up everything (or in your case, very little) and move to an entire new country. Takes a great deal of fortitude I think and a whole lot of bravery as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!