Saturday, April 2, 2022

Misfits box and sashiko

Misfits arrived in the evening, too late to blog, so here it is



Salad today. The carrots are sweet to taste, very fresh. And there was a stray red potato which found its way in uninvited.

Today's Tatter is about sashiko, stitching that serves many purposes. It's artwork and is used for repairing old clothes, also for creating warm winter gear by stitching together layers with many rows of fine running stitches.




I tried my hand at it a while ago, using a design the Embroiderers Guild supplied.


This is a book cover, with a brocade fabric. The cover is straight, the picture crooked, sorry, better stitcher than photographer.

This is an embroidery form that can be as simple or as complex as the stitcher wants. When we did sashiko at the Guild, a six year old granddaughter did her own version. She really liked doing it. 

So if you want a project for kids, this is one. Not just for girls, boys like this too.

Meanwhile I need to get on with that book cover and insert pages into it. It's been a while. Or it might become pockets on that Robe of many stitches which you haven't seen for a while, the one with all the embroidered pieces appliqued, and sashiko on the front, more to come there, too.


You can see the design I  drew on the left there, waiting for stitching. There's even a needle stuck in there to remind me.

Maybe I'll take a stitching interlude between sock knitting. The light's better now, friendly to embroidery.

The current sock harvest is here


one more pair and I'll send them off.

Pray for Ukraine, for the spirit of resistance and to preserve their art as well as their people. It's vital to life.








13 comments:

  1. Yes! This is my mending style except for the part about the stitches being "precise." They are most definitely not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo making all those beautiful socks.
    I am adding Sashiko to my summer tunic designs. I like the heft it gives the fabric as well as the overall look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sashiko looks an awful lot like simple "running stitch" to me, but then I'm no seamstress. I like your book cover very much! And your sock harvest looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra it is running stitches. With exact stitch length and spacing.

    I like referring to the socks as harvested, like running out to pick them when ready!

    SP, yes, the heft is lovely. It can give a different effect to flimsy fabric, less cling.

    Mary, yes, the predesigned patterns allow for random stitchers to follow them for precision. I'm not sure that's your style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sure making progress with the socks. You are a fast knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always liked sashiko but I haven't done much. I have seen some amazing examples on display at quilt shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think quilters would be naturals with sashiko, because they're expert at running stitches, even and precise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pile of socks look great.
    I love Sashiko but have not got down and actually done much of it yet - hopefully, this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 3 pairs of jeans with the knees worn/torn. Maybe I should try this as I surely can't mend them on the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellen, those jeans are artworks waiting to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you ever sleep? I can't get over how fast you are churning out those socks!! I'm sure Handsome Son would appreciate a pair at some point (mind you....if it's like my family you could end up creating a monster if he really likes them).
    Sashiko is on my list to try at some point. Wondering if I could incorporate it into my landscapes....hmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Handsome Son is very sparing in his requests. He has accepted one pair of fingerless gloves, one cowl and one drumhead cover. Ever! He's not looking for more right now. I used to knit all his sweaters way back when his only concerns were what picture he wanted on the front, teddy bear, train etc.

    Sashiko would be just right on your landscapes, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those three pairs of socks look lovely stacked together. Every time I pull out my jeans with holes wearing at the top corners of the pockets, I think how fun sashiko would look done on them. Only, I can't ever seem to remember the name of this embroidery technique. This needs to go onto my list of "New Things". Making note now...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!