The knitting group was fun. Again. New member and one onlooker. Here's some of our projects
My narrow band weaving was examined and approved.
Our chat ranged over learning to knit -- the new member was promptly signed up for knitting classes taught at the library by one of our group-- medical events, school reunions, birthdays, fibers, opera, ai in medical use, vacations and more.
Once again my ride announced that she was the designated driver -- arranged with the usual friend, then explained to me! My regular driver (!) was involved in home reno, and couldn't leave the contractor.
Home again to an amazing Textiles and Tea, with a mixed media weaver using precious metals - if it looks like gold or silver, it is -- semi precious stones and a wide variety of industrial and art materials in his work. He's also cute, but I digress.


















Oh my, weaving with gold and silver and semi-precious stones! No wonder his clients come from Dubai and the Middle East -- who else could afford that?
ReplyDeleteYes, I thought that point was important! The funny part is that he also uses concrete and aluminum, and coats the works in resin to protect them!
DeleteI love your Tuesday knitter's group - and all your chauffeurs. The textiles & tea this week is a little over the top for my tastes, but I admire his creativity.
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
He's a wonderful artist -- those portraits! And yes, opulence rules in his world. I'm a bit here and there about it.
DeleteI like that gold coloured shirt and the table runner. Also that green and white shawl.
ReplyDeleteI am quite partial to the shirt, too! It's over the top for its own sake.
DeleteWeaving precious metals! That is an amazing concept.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a medieval emperor at work, unlimited budget!
DeleteCourty’s work is brilliant!
ReplyDeleteLiterally, too.
DeleteWorking im gold and silver must be fraught with difficulty. It's hard enough embroidering with metallic thread.
ReplyDeleteHe discussed the learning curve. Some is woven, some overlaid and either couched or adhered, see portrait details. It's very skilled. He originally wanted to be a goldsmith, and this is his take.
DeleteAmazing artist.
ReplyDeleteIsn't he? He definitely loves luxury materials.
DeleteYour knitting looks so complicated with all of those needles. Of course, my knitting skills are VERY basic and I have only knitted cotton dish rags. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's not as complicated as it looks. You're still knitting with two needles at a time, just as you do with your dishrags.
DeleteYou're certainly being taken care of, in terms of your transport. So nice! I'm not one for opulence, but I really like the weavings made up of vertical panels. Very helpful that several photos show a person nearby to give an idea of scale. And that portrait is so expressive. I'm glad you share these photos every week!
ReplyDeleteYes, I really loved the use of the materials, despite a few misgivings. His work is often enormous, and when there's gold and silver, very heavy, too. He says the framing and shipping is a huge expense, rivaling the cost of the materials, even.
DeleteSebastien is very yummy looking and I love his artwork.
ReplyDeleteGlad you have your knitting group. I found one here but have not gotten there yet. Maybe one day. That's my problem in retirement, the future looks endless, but I know it's not. I put things off.
Yes, check out the group and see if you like it. They vary and I find library-based groups the friendliest.
Deletebeautiful work as always. I can knit..........sort of, but it's not a talent that comes easily to me. Plus my hands let me know they're not happy when knitting...LOL
ReplyDeleteThe fiberarts are hard on your hands. I like to switch from one to another depending on how my hands feel that day.
DeleteHis work is intricate. I think it's beautiful. The squirrel is being honest with the Buddha. I seem to be able to comment at the moment.
ReplyDeleteQuick, say all the things! The artwork is spectacular. It would be even without the rare materials, because his talent is huge.
DeleteWow! such a lovely post.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked it!
DeleteAnother informative post.
ReplyDeleteYou find so many wonderful things to share. I’m getting quite the education
Thank you
You're welcome. Always nice to present ideas to interested readers.
DeleteTuesdays are the best days! I always look forward to your report about the knitting group as well as the T&T too. Curious to know - do they always have an interview with weavers or other types of textiles too?
ReplyDeleteIt's the Handweavers Guild of America, so weaving is their focus.
Delete