Friday, April 10, 2026

Plans for weaving, my soulbird and more

Here's who I plan to come back as in my next life

There's a bird who knows what's what.

I had a cardio checkup this morning, new cardio meeting for the first time, who declared me fine, vibrant (!) and said everything's stable and maybe this will be an annual check, not more. All good. 

He did the usual double take when we met, since he'd only seen records and probably expected me to creep in on a walker. But to be fair, probably most of his older patients are in fact creeping in on walkers, so he gets a biased view.

I had a great pond walk when I got home, marveling at how this time last year I couldn't get that far, mainly because of fall risk and hip giving way. Now it's just a nice stroll. 




There were two pairs of Canada geese out, watching me suspiciously, but not aggressive, so I guess not nesting there. 

And I have plans for patterned bandweaving this summer. Longtime readers  will possibly remember the Summer of the English Paper Piecing EPP, when I got into a frenzy of stitching ending with a suite of great pieced pillows and tired fingers. 

This year it's the Summer of the Patterned Bandweaving.  The forecast is for a very hot summer, time indoors, so this might work.

I've sent for the Durham Weaver's book,


meanwhile here's a design I can try out.


But first I'll finish the second sock to go with this one  


I like how the pooling formed a spiral.

Back home the spice bush is blooming and the scent is starting to float about.


What's this below? If it's an amaranth please say, then I'll yank it out before it makes a million seeds.

Speaking of home, Gary started talking patio yesterday. I had let it go because of weather and his back, laying heavy pavers, but he evidently is still on it. We'll see. 

After the daffodils have bloomed I'll need to dig up and move a couple that would end up under pavers. Otherwise I'll just see how it works out.

 Happy day everyone and here are various wishes and statements



An all-purpose statement! For all social justice contexts.




40 comments:

  1. You earned back those pleasant walks with your commitment to rehabbing and rebuilding. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I saw results so quickly it wasn't hard to keep it up. And I had a very encouraging PT. That helps. And now I'm really enjoying my abilities.

      Delete
  2. We've got a ton of Canada geese, both flying overhead and getting set up for eggs and goslings. Charlie and I passed by a pair this morning and they didn't even move out of our way. I shortened Charlie's leash and we all stayed in our own lanes.
    Your socks always look so beautiful. Maybe one day.
    A tailor bird seems like a good next life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have flocks of them, and I've learned caution around them. They can be quite scary when they're nesting.
      That sock pattern is ss simple as they get. You may give it a try.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, the Tailor Bird is your soulbird, clearly! And I like that New Irish Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I searched to find out more about the spicebush, and the first thing I saw is that it's a native and my mind jumped to Australia, wrongly of course. I wonder if it is grown here at all. Further, it is grown here as a rare plant and one plant costs AU$92. It is illegal in one state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spice bush can mean many different plants. This one is viburnum carlesii, if you're interested in finding out about it. I don't know if it's found in Australia though. It has a heavenly scent.

      Delete
    2. Andrew; it is grown here and Bunnings have dwarf ones, they are a cousin to the white viburnum commonly known here as Snowball Bush.

      Delete
    3. Now I need to apologise to Andrew, I googled and though I found a listing at Bunnings it is no longer on the page. But it is available through the Diggers Club and other Nurseries according to google. Do a search and find the nearest place for you. it comes in regular and dwarf size.

      Delete
  5. Both the doc and I are impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The band weaving looks interesting, though I know I could never manage it. I'd go crazy keeping it all even and my wrists would hurt tremendously after just a half hour. I'll stick with reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's tough. Arthritis, maybe? That's enough to put you off. Consider it delegated.

      Delete
  7. That bird seems to be weaving a patterned band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wonder who did it first, bird or people.

      Delete
  8. Well done on the healthy pass from the doctor
    I was in very real danger of becoming one of those older souls who use walkers.
    I’ve been saved by the new meds. I just hope they continue to give me real pain relief
    As for coming back. I’m not sure I’d sign back on for this ride
    It’s just too crazy for my little brain to comprehend all the evil in this world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your meds keep on helping. You're so active that you need to go on.

      Delete
  9. Those woven bands look exciting. Ive seen patterned bands from card weaving and considered trying but feel I ought to delay for when there are fewer competing demands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I find these bands easier than card weaving which I had trouble keeping straight. They're simpler.

      Delete
  10. The work of the tailor bird is astounding. Yes, your soulbird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing. So much for people being the only tool using creatures! Most of us are left in the dust of this bird's skill.

      Delete
  11. My plant ID says "annual honesty," also known as Silver Dollar plant, Money plant, Penny Flower, Moonwort...
    And not considered a weed.
    So. That's one opinion.
    Birds are infinitely clever and talented, aren't they? Another bird I'm fascinated by is the Satin bowerbird. The male creates lovely bowers to attract mates, even adorning them with blue flowers and other blue objects.
    Can't wait to see what your weaving will produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting on the plant id. It's nothing like the honesty which I have growing nearby, but I'll leave it alone just in case, thank you.
      Yes those birds are amazing decorators.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the great report from your doctor! You've taken such good care of yourself! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm taking a, not too fast, victory lap!

      Delete
  13. That bird is astonishing. I've never seen anything like that. I got the same plant ID as Ms. Moon (not surprising since we use the same app) -- honesty. So that's a good one to keep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are great videos on YouTube of the weaver bird making nests by the Nile. They're not all as good as the bird in my picture. There's one young one who ties his own foot to the stem he's learning to weave on.
      Okay I'll leave that plant alone, and wonder how the rosette shape which now has buds in the middle, will compare to the honesty I'm growing from last year's seeds.

      Delete
  14. I do hold you as an example, I make more effort to motivate myself and not fall into the fugue of despair. I I like the Irish saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you feel supported in keeping fit. It's easy not to, but do worth whatever effort you can manage on a given day.

      Delete
    2. Is worth, not what bully text put!

      Delete
  15. The spice bush is pretty, like so many of the viburnum plants. I wonder if I could squeeze one into my garden . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're quite compact..this one took years to get established but is finally doing nicely

      Delete
  16. Looking forward to watching your patterned bandweaving progress! Very fun. I'd never heard of a tailorbird, and I wouldn't mind being one either! Yesterday, waiting on line at the pharmacy, the man ahead of me gave his birthdate and I calculated that he was 87. I was surprised because I'd seen him walk so ably ahead of me through the store. I thought, "Gosh, I'd like to walk like he walks when I'm that age! Who do I know who's doing so well at that age?" And you came to mind, as I believe you're 86. Well done, you. My grandfather did very well till he was 92, including maintaining a 5-mile section of trail till he was 85.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be 88 this year, all being well. Some older people do better than others. A lot of luck in it. We'll see how long it goes on! You have a good family history, if your grandfather's typical. It's really not about how many years, so much as how many good health years.

      Delete
  17. Ah, so you and my fellow pharmacy patron are the same age! Yes, good health years seem like the important part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not just the number. I want to be well, too. So far, so good.

      Delete
  18. I would say you have definitely found your soul bird. And didn't you feel good when you surprised that doctor with your fitness level. You have inspired me to stick with my chair yoga routine which I suppose isn't all that exciting but hopefully I will see benefits from it in the long run. Got a book called '5-Minute Chair Yoga For Seniors' by Kierstie Payge Dolezal from the library and will be ordering my own copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for keeping up with the yoga. Are you doing any resistance exercises with bands or dumbbells? That's really good for fitness.

      Delete
    2. No I haven't done resistance exercises (yet). Still trying to convince my brain that yoga is a great thing. One step at a time for me.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!