Wednesday, April 15, 2026

A day of many parts

Yesterday was the first day of great weather for walking in the evening, light enough, warm enough and insect free enough. A stroll to the pond happened.




There's  a scruffy old squirrel's nest up there.  The nest, I don't know if the squirrel is scruffy.

Today started before dawn, when I woke ready to start the day. I was out watering plants outside because the forecast was for this 

and it's been dry for days. Then I watered all the indoor plants, same reason, the house will be warm and they'll appreciate the help.

And a session with April and Aiko, for lower back issues. My sciatic ouch has diminished significantly since I got back into these particular exercises. Also since the cold finally went away, taking the jaw pain and leg pain with it. I suppose a virus attacks the weakest links. 

Then for some plain repairs, starting with Gary's hoodie, which is not a good design. 



A nice screen printed image on woven gauze, bonded onto a knitted hoodie. Recipe for failure, and it happened. He put it on, the hoodie stretched, the screen print tore away. I put in a few stitches, allowing for stretch and we'll see.

Then there are my favorite jeans which either have stretched or I've shrunk. So I did my favorite simple alteration.



Inserted elastic inside the back of the waistband to draw it in a bit. That should save endless hitching up.

At noon there was an AARP online Tai chi session with a very good instructor.

After half an hour of moves, Tai chi not my strength, I get my arms mixed up, he had us sit to do more, this being designed for older people. 

So I took his picture at that point and next thing I knew after breathing and relaxing, I was waking up to his thanks for a lovely session.

This was a nice afternoon for sitting in the shade listening to birds and dozing and generally enjoying the day.  There was the last of the daffodils, the distant trees starting to leaf out, the spicebush at peak and the honesty getting into bloom.




Braiding is continuing with the shoelaces moving along. I have ideas for aglets in fact I dreamed of one idea


The notebook I made the other day has been received happily by a knitting friend, and there will be a couple more 


This is another couple of images from the same art catalog.

Happy day everyone, online this evening with friends. Such a rich day.








34 comments:

  1. Your new handcrafted shoelaces look so fab and colourful! I was wondering what you were going to do for aglets too. Looking forward to your solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few ideas. The thing is I only plan to thread them once. After that they stay in place. So the aglets don't have to be very durable.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding me about April and Aiko's variety of exercises. My hips have been aching so I found some hip and glute exercises with them that I just did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. They have videos for practically any issue you can think of. I find them so helpful.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a lovely, low key day. The best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How quickly your weather has changed. 87/31 and I'd be complaining it was too hot. It did make for nice outdoor photos though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel too hot in the shade today. It was nice.

      Delete
  5. At that heat, the insects must surely be coming out. But you probably don’t live surrounded by forests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of insects. Just not mosquitoes yet. No biting critters.

      Delete
  6. Lol. You fell asleep?

    Yoga with cat usually takes care of any attempt to doze off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So relaxed from the tai chi! I remember when I had cats, downward facing dog used to involve kitties getting in and staring at my face!

      Delete
  7. Looks like Pride shoelaces, and if so, good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shoelaces and look forward to seeing the aglets. I was also hoping to see the scruffy old squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have relaxation down to a fine art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elastic in the jeans is a great fix. I haven't worn jeans in years, they don't fit anymore and I am losing weight but still have about three inches between button and buttonhole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bit of a gap. I've been getting smaller for years, but I still like the clothes that fitted me back then.

      Delete
  11. Aglets-- Cut off small piece of plastic straw and slip over end. Then use a hair dryer or heat gun to shrink it onto the braid. I read this hint the other day thinking I'd use it at the clothes closet where I volunteer, but you need it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, such a rich day! Which particular yes2next did you like for low back? I saw a new one with "sciatica" in the title that I'll probably try, but was there another/different one you liked for lower back? The screen print is beautiful! But, of course, that wouldn't ever hold together when stretched. For your pants (pant?) alteration -- you made a slit, inserted the elastic, and then anchored it with stitches at both ends? I'd like to know because I have 2 pairs of shorts with some gapping in the back, and this might be a good fix. I have no intention of removing the waistband and doing the full alteration, so I'd love a simpler method!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sciatica one is very much like the other low back ones. They're all good. Maybe more pelvic tilts in the sciatica one. But I still think walking is good.
      Your interpretation of the elastic insertion is exactly right. Pretty easy to do, too. You still have plenty of room to put them on but they hang better.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to try those yes2next videos, thank you! I'm also going to try this elastic insertion idea. I love an efficient solution!

      Delete
    3. If the stitching had been less sturdy I'd just have clipped stitches to insert the elastic, then restitched. Here it was easier to just slit the fabric and overcast it shut after the elastic was in place.

      Delete
  13. After I looked up the meaning of aglets it made me remember dipping the ends into clear nail polish (probably several applications). Might work?
    87 degrees? I simply can't imagine. It's still barely above freezing here and the temps are supposed to drop even more. One day of warm enough not to have to wear a winter coat and back into brrrrrr again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to drop about 40 degrees in a couple of days. April.

      Delete
  14. Yes. Excellent laces. Can you paint the ends with some super glue to create the aglets? Or apply it somehow.
    Not many mosquitoes here either due to the drought. So there's that.
    I bought elastic the other day to replace in a skirt waistband so old that its elastic has gone the way of all elastic eventually. Now just to get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the aglet thought! And yes, it's getting to it that's hard.

      Delete
  15. "Aglets" is not a word I ever remember hearing! Love the laces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aglet is beloved of crossword makers! I wonder if it's a good Scrabble word, too?

      Delete
  16. Very nice post. Love the laces. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm pleased with this new learning. I've already taught it to two other people.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!