Thursday, April 16, 2026

Early flowers and Misfits

 I was out early, no no walking and looking at flowers this morning, at a cool time,  in anticipation of 90°f temps this afternoon.




Here's the honesty that planted itself in the sage container, and other places, not where I'd planted it. The empty strawberry pot is where I planted seeds.




This one is the plant Mary and Steve told me to leave alone. It's a bit different from the others, though, the flower heads with fewer petals, but it's honesty. I'll take it.

And here's the almost last of the daffodils 


It looks like another flower maybe a bit like the columbine? It's a narcissus of some kind, but more sculptural than the other frillier daffodils.

I finished the shoelaces and learned quite a bit about the yarn which every now and then sort of seized and wouldn't slide through the knot. I think yarn fatigue. Anyway I had to learn some fixes, too, using a crochet hook and darning needle, all good. What happens when it sticks is a stray loop that can't be eased in. But when that happens after two feet of braiding, you don't want to start over. And I haven't found a way of unpicking that works. Workarounds rule.

I think part of the difficulty is that I was working off a center pull ball. This changes the twist on the yarn as it gets under way. I think next time whatever yarn I use I'll use outside pull. Anyway, next, on to the aglets.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have a couple of other ideas to try, using materials I have. I don't have super glue, nail polish, a hair dryer nor heat gun. I'm committed to using what I have for this project, so, onward.

Then Jeff arrived with the Misfits box, shortly after Gary unloaded a huge container of rice on me (he's moving, winnowing his food supplies). I'll nudge him about the food pantry in this process. The rice is now divided into smaller containers and in the freezer.






Here's cans for the food pantry, choc treats for the Great Me, Envy apples, they're so good, crisp and juicy not tart, container of organic wildflower honey, two lots of shrimp, which will be good with some of that mass of rice, block of vital cheddar cheese, container of tiny sardines, for putting on toast for tea.

Salad greens, bananaz, beautiful smelling strawberries, to go with yogurt, some mozzarella shredded cheese, because the last lot made a wonderful pasta sauce. 


This is a small order, and I thought I'd ordered bread, but seem not to have.  I'll live. It's probably a sign to make baguettes. They'll be good for shrimp sandwiches with greens. I might even make mayo. But let's not get carried away now.

Happy day everyone, knit on. When the current sock and the aglets and the notebooks are done, I'm going to embark on the bandweaving adventure.



 



 


27 comments:

  1. I’ve never heard of honesty. Except for here. It’s a pretty flower.
    I might have to do some research and see if I can get it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look it up, be sure and see the seedpods which are the main event and explain its names. I keep them as everlasting flowers.

      Delete
    2. I did look it up and I’ve seen those seed pods.
      They’re called the silver dollar plants here I think I’m going to find some seeds and try to grow some. Apparently they’re great for attracting wealth and for protection and transparency
      Maybe we should plant them around all government buildings.?

      Delete
  2. Ah, the pink truck has done is duty once again. We had a very expensive shopping this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truck was dented all along the top, which made me wonder how.

      Delete
  3. Misfits day and all is well. It's only 87 here right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a couple of days it's going to be much colder. April.

      Delete
  4. You have hair and no hair dryer. I have hair dryer and no hair. We COULD trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a logistical challenge. I only ever used a hair dryer with painting watercolors!

      Delete
  5. And yea verily, a Voice came from on high: LET THERE BE BAGUETTES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flourish of trumpets. And it came to pass that five thousand showed up to share two baguettes.

      Delete
  6. You are a busy, busy woman. I can't believe it got so warm there. We haven't gone above 0C in a couple of days, tomorrow hopefully:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By Monday it will be in the forties f. Sigh. It's odd, when I write down my doings, and only some of them get into the blog,the more interesting bits, it looks busy, but in fact I feel quite slothful, compared to my plans.

      Delete
  7. Aglets was a new word for me. Tricky to replace them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aglets are those little bits at the ends of shoelaces? the flowers look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, those tips. Usually metal or plastic. Mine will be a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you/ do you freeze rice? Yes, obviously you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is raw rice, and I always put rice, flour, etc, in the freezer, partly to keep longer -- it thaws rapidly when you need it -- partly to make sure that any stray insects are destroyed. I also freeze cooked rice, to keep till I need it. The rice and beans recipe made several meals, so some are in portion size containers in the freezer. More than you wanted to know, probably. A simple yes would have done!

      Delete
  11. Weather is promising another cold snap next week...but oh this early summertime is fun! We have so many ups and downs these days. Poor old nature dealing with what humans have thrown at her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's hitting back a bit with thunder and lightning!

      Delete
  12. It will cool off here, too, starting tomorrow. I have 3 soccer games tomorrow to go cheer at so I'm glad it won't be raining and it won't be too hot! (I hope!) Sunday I want to get out for a hike as the bluebells should be blooming in the Forest Preserve woods. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluebells, how lovely. Haven't seen those since childhood.

      Delete
  13. No bread must be a subconscious decision to eat more rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked back and found they were out of the bread I like when I ordered. I sometimes think I've forgotten but discover it wasn't available. Rice is fine though. I'm thinking of making rice flour by grinding it. Hm.

      Delete
  14. 90 degrees? Here it's currently 12C (about 53F) and that's warm. We're getting more rain which is causing havoc in some communities where there's a lot of flooding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're cooling rapidly now. Too cool to sit out today.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!