Last week Gary arranged to drive me today to the ortho who did Hippolyta a year ago, annual checkup. I called him to confirm this morning and he had forgotten. But he said he'd still do it. Then he and another neighbor showed up at the door -- she was taking over! Fine by me.
And the surgeon told me my X-ray this morning was excellent, asked a few questions, manipulated my joint around, and said, all's well. If you feel like it you can come back in five years. I pointed out that this was a bit optimistic at this point but he said, correctly, you never know!
So I did a happy dance on the way to the car. Yay me.
And while I wait for the longnameshuttle which is in transit, to start weaving, I started a pair of socks, using yarn I found while I was sorting out what to use in the weaving.
I think almost all my yarn is variegated. This one has cheerful colors and it's machine washable, fine for the Sock 'n Glove 'n Whistle Ministry.
Once home I took a walk to the pond and saw the first turtle of the year, cruising around, head above water, then diving and showing their underwater skillz.
A heads-up for May 1, on Friday. Traditional day for workers to celebrate, even a canonical Catholic feast day, St Joseph the Worker. This year there's a national shutdown on work and spending. Some people simply can't take the day off, but we can all do something. Sand in the gears. Make employers notice. Make everyone notice.
This blog will honor our workers and send my part of the message to big money. We'll go dark on Friday.





Always wonderful to get a medical "all clear"
ReplyDeleteThe friend who drove was so happy, too. It was generous of her, as she's grappling with a cascade health issues herself.
DeleteOh, turtles. I will look forward to seeing ours. I think they'll take another little while.
ReplyDeleteI was so happy when the odd shape I noticed turned out to be a good sized turtle pushing a twig around.
DeleteThat was good news about your hip. I'm betting you will return in five years.
ReplyDeleteThe first turtle sighting is your equivalent to an English person seeing a first cuckoo.
Thank you for the vote of confidence! On seeing the first turtle in spring, I like that.
DeleteCongratulations on the hip. That is the best news Your yarn work is always so beautiful. May 1st no spending.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy with Hippolyta. My yarn work sometimes struggles but gets there, more or less.
DeleteI'm glad your new hip is doing well and I'm sure the doc enjoyed seeing you as well. It's nice to see healthy old people and it's easy to forget that they even exist when you work in health care.
ReplyDeleteLove the colours for the new socks.
That's so true about not seeing healthy cheerful old people. By definition medical personnel will see many more sick and frail people my age. It's easy to start figuring that's normal, I guess. But some of us have got away.
DeleteI had not heard of May 1st, which surprises me, so thanks for that heads up, Boud!
ReplyDeleteIt's been in the works since early March, but I'm glad you didn't miss out on it. Everyone can do something to pour sand in the gears!
DeleteI love all your variegated yarns, they make such colourful socks!
ReplyDeleteThat's true, and these are particularly colorful.
DeleteSo nice that you can count on friends and neighbors without a big production. That’s wonderful Hippolyta news. I look forward to another good report in five years!
ReplyDeleteYes, I must put it in my calendar. Because you just never know..
DeleteI actually plan to listen to Bernie Sanders talk on May 1.
ReplyDeleteFirst I've heard of the May 1 protest. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI hope you'll take your own action.
DeleteCongratulations on your clean bill of health
ReplyDeleteSo very happy for you
Thank you, I'm pleased.
DeleteI always mark May 1 on my calendar because my mom used to tell me about May Day celebrations when she was a kid. She grew up near Albany, NY, and I've no idea whether such things were widespread. She talked about a Maypole dance but also about worker rights. I was going to say her family wasn't all that political, but being Quaker means being political. Sooo, it's all relative! Anyway, I try to do only art and outdoorsy things on May 1. This year, I do have a doc appt in the AM, but I'm sure you know how hard those can be to wrangle. Can't be all that fussy about the date sometimes! Surely, you'll be at that orthopedic appointment in 5 years. I have every confidence. That sock yarn is lovely. I've found it so interesting to watch you knit with your variegated yarns.
ReplyDeleteI think medical needs are exempt from the strike. And you certainly have faith in my longevity!
DeleteOur turtles love to line up on downed tree limbs in the creeks and rivers to bask in the sun. They're such a funny sight. Have you ever read "Search for the Great Turtle Mother" by Jack Rudloe? He's a local author and environmentalist and naturalist and is a fascinating man. I'm sure the book is out of print but perhaps the library might have a copy? Of course he mainly writes about sea turtles, a lifelong fascination of his but if I remember correctly, he gives some words to tortoises as well.
ReplyDeleteIn case you need something more to do with your hours...
What wonderful news about your hip. I'm with Mitchell about hearing the report after your five-year check-up.
Thanks for the book reference. I haven't been reading any natural history lately, more social history. I'll check it out. All these friends insisting I'll be getting a checkup in five years -- at 92. We'll see.
DeleteI can easily see that happening.
DeleteMy volunteer group is having a sale in Friday, May 1st, and I'm working at that. It's for our local history museum so I hope some people will shop at that. I won't be shopping in any stores that day, though.
ReplyDeleteI think nonprofit is outside the strike aimed at corporate greed. I hope you do well.
DeleteOh, and congrats on the good news about your hip!! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, it was welcome news
DeleteGreat news about Hippolyta!
ReplyDeleteThank you. Back in five years.
DeleteKeep on knitting, and weaving when you can. Congrats on hip recovery...and sure, 5 years is a blink of an eye after a certain time. My 86 year old friend said she didn't plan to be here in her 90s. I forgot to ask what time frame she has set for herself. But it's all one day at a time for me, though without the AA creeds.
ReplyDeleteI've answered this twice already. It publishes then vanishes. Anyway, I don't have a time frame, since it won't be up to me anyway!
DeleteThat looks like some Arne and Carlos yarn you're working with...they have some of the most wonderful colourways.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the info about May 1st and I will snag that and amend today's blog post to include it.
And - very big congratulations for the great report from the surgeon. Happy dance is definitely warranted!
Its Regia,a German yarn. My German friend in the knitting group tells me she used it thirty years ago for socks. It's supposed to make exactly matching pairs if you do it right.
DeleteGlad you have good health news!
ReplyDeleteThank for the May 1st news. Planning fir that day will be interesting.
For sure, it will not be a day when I have to go back to the store because I forgot something. 😂
May
Good, stay out of stores! And out of online sources. I do think artisans are exempt because they're not big businesses.
DeleteThree cheers on your hip! That's fabulous news!
ReplyDelete