Sunday, April 12, 2026

Easy to learn, hard to excel and other thoughts

I've been using the lucet quite a bit, and have restarted several times. At this point I'm getting the hang of it and I'm making shoelaces for my sneakers.


Here's the thing though: the process is simple, just lifting the loop over the working yarn on each prong alternately. You turn the tool after each loop, so you're always looping the left prong.

Simple. But, like playing the recorder, starting isn't hard. Getting good at creating a consistent even braid, like playing beautiful notes, is skilled. 

In both cases, the instrument is basic and the user provides the skill. Like back strap weaving, there are no engineered options, it's all in the skill of the maker.

This makes it interesting and I'm learning how to judge the tension, loose enough to get the loop over the prong, firm enough to make an even braid without loops drawn in tight or sticking out. 

And there's a skill to stopping and starting. You need to get the yarn moving the right way when you pick up again. Hence the rubber band I used to hold the working yarn in the right place so as to continue the right direction. 

Then there's trying to match the tension from last time I worked it. It's like knitting stocking stitch, where you can tell if you're knitting a different tension from last time. 

What I'm finding now is that I braid too tightly when I pick up, and have to loosen my death grip a bit. At each loop you slide the new stitch into the center of the cross threads, and settle its size, and this forms a rhythm you need to get into every time.

I like this new skillset I'm acquiring. It's not too hard on my hands.

Then I need escapist reading, away with the serious considerations of our times, I need a change. I found a new-to-me Bruno book, so that's on today's menu.


Happy day everyone I'm off to roast vegetables for lunch and maybe make blueberry pancakes for dessert.

Find an escape, it's time. Just for a while.






35 comments:

  1. Tension has always been my biggest problem with crocheting or knitting.
    My hands never quite get it. Yours will definitely get this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yarn tension and an intuitive feel for it are important in all the fiber arts. I think also that simply doing a lot of it counts, too. So your hands still can get it.

      Delete
    2. In the past I did a LOT of crocheting and knitting which is why I feel there's little hope.

      Delete
  2. You know, they say it only takes 10,000 hours to master a new skill like a pro. You're getting there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have my new shoelaces before then! All being well.

      Delete
  3. How really cool. And I know you've already got a creative idea for making the ...had to look it up... aglets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossword word! Yes, I'm thinking about that.

      Delete
  4. I think I've read all the Martin Walker books. The last one or two got too much like a formula at least the mystery part. Though I always enjoy the descriptions of the food and how it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, good food and nice dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m definitely going to YouTube this. I’m a visual learner so written directions tend to confuse me.
    I was going to ask what do you do with the long chords once they’re made.
    Shoe laces is a brilliant idea
    Then I thought. Thicker ones can be used in hoodies.
    I’m very intrigued

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make all kinds of laces and straps -- hair ties, purse straps, hoodie strings as you said, lanyards, key keepers, edging for knitted and crocheted blankets. All kinds of stuff!

      Delete
  7. Those are going to be brilliant shoelaces one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lucet looks fantastic. I can nearly feel its smooth texture in my own hands! Maple is one of my favorite woods, though purpleheart is a wonder for its look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very friendly to handle, already starting to feel familiar.

      Delete
  9. I really appreciate your creative talent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like so many 'simple' skills; the doing is easy, it's doing it well that's harder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks easy when you watch someone skilled. Then you try, and find out!

      Delete
  11. ooh! The book looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good. The French policing systems are very confusing again, who works with what agency, but they don't hold up the plot too much.

      Delete
  12. I've tried for years to knit less tightly while still keeping tiny sock stitches on the toothpick needles. The most useful thing I've found is doing just a couple of minutes of very simple hand stretches and then "shaking out" before even picking up the knitting needles. Glad you are enjoying your new tool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That idea of warming up your hands before working is a good one, thank you. I usually have a looser style of knitting, so this tighter thing with the lucet is new to me. It's relaxing a bit as I go though, just learning the feel of it.

      Delete
  13. I've never heard of a lucet so I looked it up on youtube. It's interesting, and a great way to make laces. Years ago sewing thread came on wooden reels, when one was used up I put four small screws into it and did something similar, I made mats and coasters with the coils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spool knitting! A few weeks ago I made a spool and blogged about it, childhood revisited! We called it French knitting. The lucet is a nice tool to use, especially because of its ancient history.

      Delete
  14. Pretty shoe laces - a new cottage industry?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think it would ever look easy to me! I should look into those books. I could use some escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd certainly like the basset hounds which feature, also the excellent food described and the wines. Oh, and there's a murder mystery, too.

      Delete
  16. You're so talented! Thanks for the book recommendation. I've reserved the very first book in that series so I can see what Bruno is up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like reading in order as people move in and out of the action, grow up, develop their lives.

      Delete
  17. Well, I don't really have a mental picture of how that lucet works (which is fine, since I'm not a yarn-worker) -- but I can see how the tension in the braid would have to be consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks simple, but it's not easy. Like a lot of fiber arts. They look so obvious until you try them. But so pleasing when your skills build. Consistency is a big hurdle for most people.

      Delete
  18. You make using the lucet appear simple and I know it's not, at least from the standpoint of getting proper tension. It's like anything else we try to do with our hands in that it takes time to develop the necessary skillset. You'll have the spiffiest shoelaces in town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The laces are nicer than the sneakers at this point. I think the more experienced you get with yarn the quicker you can learn new skills.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!