Sunday, April 19, 2026

Bread, salt, olives, socks, rain, your basic Sunday

This morning with rain in the forecast, I glumly decided I'd better make bread, since I was totally out. No toast, nothing to make a sandwich or cheese toast, nothing to hold up my sardines, this wasn't right.

I wasn't in the mood at all, but as usual once underway I wondered what the fuss was about. My bread is no knead, easy to make.

Anyway I did, and here's the rather small cast of characters needed


to make a large loaf which I quarter into four medium loaves, three in the freezer.

I didn't have my favorite whole-wheat, so I went with bread flour and ap, and added in ground flaxseed, the usual vital wheat gluten, that's in the can marked chocolate fingers or something, salt, need to order, yeast, need to order, and for a savory touch, sliced green olives.




Quite a nice crumb and a good crust, crisp not tough. Not bad for an experiment, since I didn't know about the vital wheat gluten and how it works with bread flour. Okay, it turns out. The olives almost disappeared but there's a mild savory effect. I've been meaning to try them for ages.

Then I finished the socks, in yarn which the donor tells me is probably hand wash, so they're for me. I do need some anyway.



And I ordered various vital items, salt, etc.    The whole wheat flour is harder to come by, but it's ordered and I'm not in desperate need. 

Now I need to get packing small artworks to send to friends. Not a favorite activity but, like bread, you're glad you did it.

Happy day everyone, rainy here and my chives and honesty are happy, gentle rain is what they can use right now. I'm impatient to get seeds going, but last year what with surgery and rehab, I didn't get seeds in till late May and still had a nice showing. 

So you never know, late is okay.





41 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I always think I should have a long dress and a sunbonnet when I do breadbaking and sock knitting in one day! Also chickens underfoot.

      Delete
  2. You were a very productive person today! I was able to get out for a nice hike to a Forest Preserve in my city that has fields and fields of Virginia bluebells blooming. It was very chilly out but the bluebells looked lovely and I took a little video to share with my family. I do that every year to remind them to go check them out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluebells, how lovely. I'm glad you prompt your family to see them, too. It's a short season.

      Delete
  3. Nothing to hold up your sardines - that made me laugh. Made me think of my mother too because she used to take a tin of sardines and mash them up with her homemade mayo to make sandwiches. Haven't had that in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had homemade bread with sardines and shredded mozzarella cheese, broiled crisp and brown for supper. Nice.

      Delete
  4. My sister-in-law's mum used to make bread or rolls with pieces of olives and pepperoni in it - oh my, it was delicious! She was such a lovely woman. Thanks for making me think of her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sounds like a good breadmaker, too. I'm glad she came to mind.

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking bread. Like a lot of things we do in life its finding the dopamine in the start of the task (rather than making the brain believe the reward is at the end) that actually gets things underway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I got interested was by deciding on the olives! This made it more appealing.

      Delete
  6. Your bread looks delicious and the socks are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a supply of bread right there. The sock yarn made a nice design. You can't always tell ahead of time how it will pool.

      Delete
  7. Personally, I have never understood the allure of sardines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my home culture they were a staple of little kids tea!

      Delete
  8. Bread looks good! And I LOVE the socks! Am glad you will keep them. I do remember that you have some socks that are very much repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The much mended socks finally reached the point where the original fabric was too fragile to work with, so they're gone, after a mere 15 years or so. These are nice successors. I have other socks which I mend a lot, so a whole complete pair is nice.

      Delete
  9. That phrase 'once you get going it's hard to see what the fuss was about' is going to carry me through the day, and hopefully this week! Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks lovely. I’m sure it tasted delicious as well
    I can’t believe how quickly you knit those socks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a simple pattern, so there's no checking and not much counting. The yarn worked well, needing a pattern that wasn't busy with stitch patterns.

      Delete
    2. How many times can I say pattern in a sentence?

      Delete
  11. The bread turned out really well. I'm going to have another try at it, but not in winter, it's too cold for the dough to rise. I'm going to try rye flour because I really like rye bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your own bread is so good, it's worth it. I sometimes warm the oven then switch it off and let the bread rise in the remaining warmth.

      Delete
  12. You are a wonder, although I could live without the sardines. I was excited when I saw the chocolate fingers with your bread ingredients. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to disappoint. It's a great airtight can, just right for the vwg. Chocolate finger bread!

      Delete
  13. Starting is alway the most difficult part of a task for me, even when it's something I really want to do. The procrastination grows stronger . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even when you want to do a thing. That's what puzzles me, because same here.

      Delete
  14. I made bread yesterday. I combined bread flour, whole wheat, and old-fashioned oatmeal. I put all of that in the food processor to make a sort of oat-heavy flour and went from there. It was a bit dense but very good. The oatmeal gave it a really nice flavor. I plan on having some for breakfast.
    Those might be my favorite of all the socks you've shown us that you've knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often add in oatmeal to whole wheat, because I love the crust. Bread flour is new to me so I'm trying it out in combos.
      The way the yarn pools is really good,isn't it? Credit to the designer who painted it.

      Delete
  15. Your bread does have a very nice crumb. I use vital wheat gluten. If you can get it from Misfits, white whole wheat makes a less dense loaf that whole wheat. All the nutrients regular whole wheat. I like the socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using white whole wheat, but it's been hard to get. I have it on order elsewhere now. But I'm good with the denser whole wheat, too. I often add in oatmeal, nice crust and texture.

      Delete
  16. My solution to the bread problem would have been to buy a loaf of bread. Not very creative, I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would entail either ride service both ways or getting a friend to drive me. The nearest shop is far. Baking's easier!

      Delete
  17. You are always so productive. The bread sounds good I do love olives and sardines.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I can have all the sardines! We seem to be an exclusive club.

      Delete
  18. Olive bread is really a treat! I think our local bakery sometimes makes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I will put in more olives. I really like it.

      Delete
  19. Good bread! I have never taken to eating sardines BUT I did have a pony once called Sardine (because he was slippery) (and he wasn't really MINE, he was his own pony owned by NO HUMAN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the self willed ponies I've known, always up for a bit of adventure.

      Delete
  20. I'm wondering what the pirouette cookies are doing in your bread but it sounds rather fun! And love those socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies are long gone, but the airtight can keeps the vital wheat gluten dry. They were very good.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!