I was lugging a couple of bags of potting soil through the house this morning, to fill more pots and decided I'd better take a walk immediately to avoid back issues, and it seems to have worked. I'm quite ahead of time with the pots ready for seed, as you see
Last night, one thing and another, online meetings interrupted by Gary with plant questions, I went to bed forgetting the patio door was wide open. I found out this morning when I noticed the furnace running..
Anyway my knitting friend who originally gave me the cotton bolls from which I extracted the seeds now wants to reserve one of my seedlings because hers aren't doing well. So that will happen when she says, because she's a master gardener and knows this stuff 😉
I heard the #$#$ in the White House had been manipulating the stock market again, as well as bombing, so I thought I'd check my retirement account such as it is. Hm.
I decided if I needed anything now's a good time, since my stocks are up. No, I don't sell at the top of the market, but I can afford to use a bit of my divi for fun. Thereby pulling something good out of evil doings.
Sooo I thought instead of mulling about a narrow band loom, why not just get one and make bandweaving more portable than back strap method.
So this is on its way
And I'd been having all kinds of problems with one of my tablets, dropping out of online meetings, showing no Wi-Fi even though connected when the other devices were online, etc, very puzzling despite all workarounds including the nuclear clear everything off the browser and start over. But it still balked, and it's losing battery faster. I think it's just worn out, aren't we all.
So while I was on a shopping roll, I decided on this
Not expensive, marked down, probably because a newer shinier one is coming in, and in blue. For $20 more you can have it in grey. Make it make sense.I found it as "best value" on a couple of consumer report sites, so okay. I won't agonize over it. It's replacing one that's done fine for several years, and was also low-cost.
And I'm getting ready to ship out various art works to friends here and there, part of my deaccessioning. Posh art term for winnowing. I had to order package tape, but I can use the cardboard cases the potting soil came in, cut down, as protective stiff inserts for the packages. Waste not etc.
Oh, and the shoelaces are in action, with gold aglets.









I am so glad to hear that you have bought yourself a few things that will make your life fuller and easier to make art with.
ReplyDeleteThe shoe laces are a treat! Gold acrylic paint- perfect.
It's so hard for me to spend money on me. Or at all. I'm pleased with the shoelaces. Cheerful.
DeleteOctogenarian who MacGyvered her shoelaces. Respect.
ReplyDeleteWonder if acrylic paint is a deterrent for cats who hunt aglets.
If my cats were typical, I doubt it!
DeleteWe had some issues air dropping with our devices today — most annoying since this is how we share photos which do go back and forth by times. I did get it sorted. I told Sue that keeping up with technology could be hard on old people. I looked at her. She looked at me.
ReplyDeleteI wish they wouldn't keep updating every five minutes and knocking the system sideways.
DeleteI like the items in your photos. It was 70 degrees Fahrenheit here in Montreal today.
ReplyDeleteThat warmth is just a memory here at the moment. Wait till July and I'm complaining about the heat.
DeleteYour sentence about the patio door reminded me to close the windows in my apartment since after a few days near 80, it's dropping down to the 30s tonight.
ReplyDeleteGood plan. I ended up with a chilly downstairs where the thermostat is, and a stifling hot upstairs where the furnace is.
DeleteIt will be nice to have the new tablet. I love those shoelaces.
ReplyDeleteI'm seeing a lot of beginner flaws in the laces, but as I stride by (!) nobody will spot them. Stride? Hm. Creep!
DeleteThat loom should bring hours of interest - have fun
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to a few new ideas I have about it. I'm wondering if I can use two heddles at once now, to imitate the double heddle often used in pattern weaving.
DeleteThe mini loom looks fabulous, you could make scarves to go with the socks. I am hoping my laptop lasts a few more years at least. I don't remember how old it is but I think I bought it before the covid epidemic.
ReplyDeleteThat's an idea about scarves with socks, thank you, noted. I postpone techie buying as long as possible, because I dread the setup.
DeleteGood looking aglets. Hope the laces work well for you. And hoorah on your purchases. I'm sure they'll both bring hours of fun and creativity for you. Yes, I had bedroom window open to cooler night air last night, but with my own little body heat as well as new oxygen condenser, it was necessary. Hope your electric bill isn't higher from furnace going to heat the great outdoors.
ReplyDeleteFortunately my heating is gas, which is a lot cheaper here than electricity, but I'll be interested to see if there's a bump next month in the bill. I have trouble keeping warm these days, just not enough of me to keep the cold out.
DeleteIt's good to treat yourself every now and then. You will be so productive with all of your new tools. You are filled with wonderful ideas!
ReplyDeleteAnd already I'm getting complicated, planning different patterns I can do with the yarn I have..I think it will be good.
DeleteFancy aglets to put the finishing touches to very colourful laces - superb.
ReplyDeleteThe idea worked okay, a bit to my surprise.
DeleteThose shoelaces are really nice. I like them! The war is over announcement on Friday evening pops stocks up on Monday and then the whole circus starts again. Goos for you doing some shopping for yourself.
ReplyDeleteI just thought heck all these people making billions and I'm analyzing spending a tiny bit on me!
DeleteEnjoy your new rigid heddle loom, tablet, and those fab shoelaces!
ReplyDeleteI definitely will!
DeleteSometimes you just need to treat yourself and I wonder if we do that often enough. That, and spiffy shoelaces - what more do we need.
ReplyDeleteI think women tend to think more about treating other people than themselves! I know I do.
DeleteEnjoy your newest tool! That loom looks like the ones I've seen at fiber fair workshops, lined up on tables with intent and happy participants engrossed in their creations. I've wondered if they are the gateway drug that ultimately leads to a floor loom :) And I think you are wise to replace your tablet before it implodes. Hopefully you can transfer anything you want to keep as is, instead of having to start from scratch rebuilding what works best for you. I tend to try to keep something functioning until the last shot is fired, but in retrospect, it often would have been more sensible to replace sooner rather than later.
ReplyDeleteFloor looms are really more for production weaving of yardage. I think most people interested in table top looms are in it for the art or pastime of it, really. Like spindle spinners who love that process and have no interest in a wheel, maybe. Anyway that's my theory from the weavers I know.
DeleteI have two tablets and interestingly, the one that wouldn't now does. Suddenly it's working fine, and I've put the new one on hold. I don't preserve anything much, not being a collector of photos or websites. So it's more for keeping in touch than saving anything. When my laptop finally aged out of being upgradable I hardly missed it. I do have thumb drives from those days and no way to access them!