Saturday, April 11, 2026

Quiet Saturday, more or less

Aside from an unexpected lovely visit from Gary and friend, who might be donating puzzles to the library now that she knows they lend them, Saturday has been quiet. I was up before dawn, and knitting the second sock 

And I got the hang of the lucet 

It's meditative and I only stopped when ny hands got tired. It's a lovely tool to handle. 

And these items have been claimed on Freecycle 



I walked early, and it was an April day -- warm sun, cold wind. I was glad of my warm jacket though it looked so springlike from indoors.

As a result of this early morning activity, there was some sleeping after lunch. I woke up wondering what day it was, so I guess I was definitely sleeping when I thought I was resting my eyes. My plans to do some filling of pots with soil ready for planting went nowhere. 

I'm continuing reading the old age book, Elderhood, which continues to make a lot of sense. I have one small objection, that she tends to make her points repeatedly. I get it, I got it the last eight times, too. But it's still a good point. No, no, don't run it by me again. 

I often have this objection to nonfiction books, that they're determined to be book length, even if they'd be better as a good long article. But a book is better for sales, I suppose.

Happy day, everyone, a quiet day with not much happening at home is good, especially in contrast to what's in the news. 

I did fire off requests to my senators, of various kinds, including pursuing Bondi's subpoena, refusing the outlandish budget ask, passing the Farmworkers Protection Bill, and continuing to push the War Powers Bill. After that they can take the rest of the day off.


Also 




26 comments:

  1. I hope Congress listens to you and gets those requests done!
    I had 2 soccer games to cheer at today (grandsons playing). I was glad to have my winter coat and mittens on as the wind made it so chilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a spectator is cold. Better for the kids running. You're a good grandmother, loyally showing up and cheering.

      Delete
  2. First time I sat outside on my balcony this year…close to 80 F here. Nap of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to sit out. And at the moment, just right for you, fresh air with minimal exertion.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the wooden cigar boxes found a good home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're going to a very nice young woman who loves cute stuff. She's had a few items from me.

      Delete
  4. You would think that the editor would recognise that and cut it out.
    I know my English teacher used to do that to me hehehehe
    I do envy your skill with the four double ended knitting needles
    I’m going to try again One day I’ll remember to keep adding the spent needles back into the rotation and not end up only on two lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you can find yourself with all the stitches on two needles and now what? Yes, getting used to more needles is different if you use circulars a lot.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. Anybody can do what I do that's why I mention it, to encourage the initiative.

      Delete
  6. fight the good fight - power to your pen (or keyboard)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement. It matters.

      Delete
  7. Nice that you managed the Lucet so quickly. The sock is colourful, someone will enjoy those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lucet is easy to do, but harder to do well. I'm working on it.

      Delete
  8. So nice to have successes with Freecycle and maybe even with politicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are parallels! Both have people who promise and don't come through, and great people who promise and do show up.

      Delete
  9. Yes, I think that I have also noticed that about some nf books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that if you read the first chapter, often you've got it and can stop reading.

      Delete
  10. Yes. I think NF books are edited more closely for repeating stuff. Not always, though.
    I made chicken and dumplings last night and everyone gave them a thumbs up. No hard-as-rocks critiques were made. I knew you'd want to know.
    Now. On to the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this one had had all the same ideas in different wording edited down,It would have been a pamphlet. It's readable and well researched for all that. But I felt she believed she had to say things in many different ways in order to convince people. It probably comes of working with committees.

      Delete
  11. This is where book editors need to step in and do their job. Readers should not have to contend with needless repetition. You either have a book or you don't, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she has a great approach to health care for older people but it doesnt grip. And she presents it in many ways. Short of cutting out most of the chapters, I don't know what an editor could do.

      Delete
  12. I agree with the discussion over the 'wordy' authors that take pages to say what could have been done in one. A friend loaned me a series of books recently and I waded through one and called it done. The story was good but the time it took to get to the point (do I really care about what a person is wearing or what their hair style is?) was time I'll never get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think we get more irritated with unnecessary words as we get older? I feel like shouting got it, now make your point! Once is enough, no need for ten chapters saying the same thing in different ways!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!