Saturday, February 21, 2026

Textile Headsups,

Looking ahead, there's time to go online and sign up for this March textile presentation, see the TMASC email contact in the image, or search online.


and Tatter has some embroidery classes from all over the world, taught by the experts from the culture

Self care gets in here,too, stitching and other creation with thread being a slow, meditative process.

In other thinking about self care, urgently needed around here, I've started a new morning process, involving no screen time.

Before I go downstairs, I straighten the bed, arrange whatever needs to be charging through the day so I can go to sleep by audiobook, unplug the heating pad which is timed for a couple of hours medium heat at night, then do various small tasks in the bathroom involving pills and combs and lotion. 

Then downstairs I organize breakfast, today a banana sandwich and coffee, switch on various lights, it's usually still dark, then retire to the sofa. At that point I finally look at a screen. 

This interval between waking and looking at email and news has made a big difference to my coping ability, amazingly so. For one thing I'm not getting ocular migraines with vision disturbance, and I'm not instantly depressed and anxious.  

Evidently simple tasks are a defence against feeling helpless. Who knew. I used to catch up in bed with email and various social media. Not such a good idea, it turns out.

It means Future Me has a nice environment to retire to at night. I also leave the kitchen swept and clean so Morning Me has a similarly nice morning scene. It's surprising what a difference it makes to a picky, picky person. I know everyone isn't as bothered by their surroundings, but you go with the temperament you have.

It must be clear that I'm a person born to live alone! 

I watched a rug presentation this morning, dealer Susan Gomersall for the Hajii Baba Club,which commanded my indifference, to quote the Great Jane.  


I very much liked the images of weavers at work.

Mainly it was very short and not a lot of slides. They were good, but I'd have liked more information about the meaning and significance of the designs.   Also a narrator who doesn't read, head down,  from a script.  But I'm picky.  I'll continue watching their offerings.

And in further self, and neighbor, care, there's banana bread with walnuts and cocoa nibs. Mainly because I forgot to order bread and this is a sort of bread.



Remember the potholder I spun and wove a while back? It's in daily use as seen here

Nice loaf. This may be, will be, shared around. 

Happy day everyone, enjoy your day the best way you can. We may have another giant snowstorm tomorrow, so I've notified the cleaning family that if Monday's buried, we won't be plowed out, so don't push, just reschedule. Again!  

And I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday which may not happen. Again.



Nobody's burying ME, sez Billie the Pup.




30 comments:

  1. Your lovely loaf reminded me that I could do a domestic pist from our island outpost. I like your reviewed routine. Perhaps I should suggest to my neuro-diverse partner trying something similar to get his days on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes starting your day with a series of familiar tasks can do a calming reset. Maybe he'd like it.

      Delete
  2. Love that you added no screen time. I don’t have apps on my phone, it can’t even get online and I LOOOOOOOVE it. I have zero interest in that stuff. Instead I have to go to the laptop to read blogs and the tablet. I have to make the effort which allows me the enjoyment of blogger. So nice. So quite. So good.

    Even better for you that your head doesn’t hurt now.

    Very, very, very cool. Go you. Rah.

    PS: Bake looks GREAT!!!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that it's a bit more effort to get online. That brief pause is important.

      Delete
  3. I've had 2 visual disturbances in the last two days, not accompanied by migraines thankfully. Maybe I should take a leaf from your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visual disturbance is often a painless ocular migraine. Lasts up to 20minutes, and it's great to figure out and avoid the cause, in my case screen time

      Delete
  4. I do like that routine - I used to do my walk in the morning before screens, and then I did the garden before screens - I do need to get myself back to that spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, activity to postpone screens is good, especially when you build it in.

      Delete
  5. Sue has always tidied up the kitchen before bed. Whatever our future, I think that the habit has been instilled in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, because it starts your day more cheerfully, always a big point.

      Delete
  6. I definitely have a routine in the morning. I make the bed and open the window. Weather permitting and then I don’t have to go back into the room unless I’m putting washing away or to go to sleep
    I try and leave the kitchen clean at bedtime but having another living here it’s not always like that in the morning.
    I feed all the beasts, take my morning meds and clean the kitchen while eating for coffee to be made.
    And then yes. I sit with coffee and get onto the important while I enjoy my calm and serene morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't look at email until an hour and a half after I get up. I do watch YouTube clips first thing, then shower, then look at email. I think you've solved a few problems with not checking immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while to realize it was too much to handle first thing.

      Delete
  8. I can't remember when I last lived alone, if ever. I imagine it would be peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived alone for most of my life including many years with Handsome Partner's when we kept separate houses. After growing up in a large family and a small house, no quiet, no privacy, I love my own space.

      Delete
  9. Ugh! Another snow storm. It’s good you like cooking and throwing things together. I’m a picky picky person, too, and agree with you about having things in order. Not as easy when one lives with messy messy person. Although he does thank me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The few years when Handsome Partner and I lived together were terrible for me, constantly exhausted by his massive untidiness, like living with a brass band going. For many years we kept separate houses, visiting back and forth, otherwise I think I'd seriously have had a breakdown.

      Delete
  10. Very interesting about living separately from your partner. Sounds like a marvelous arrangement! I've become very intentional with my use of electronics, especially around accessing media. I like to take a media Sabbath (a Tech Shabbat!), typically on most Sundays as a way to end my week and reset for the coming week. I still read books and magazines on my e-reader because that's the best way for my eyes to read! But I (typically) don't do news or social media on my media Sabbath day. Other days, I don't access media until I'm just finishing my breakfast (at the earliest). Trying to keep my nervous system calm when I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like a good idea to keep your balance. Taking a complete day off sounds like something I should try.

      Delete
  11. I really need to follow (some) of your morning regime. Staying away from newsfeeds until fortified with pills, porridge and coffee sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to work. Yes, fortified is the word.

      Delete
  12. I'm the same way about the kitchen. I never leave it messy at night so when I get up it's all fresh and clean. It's a much better feeling than walking in and seeing dirty dishes in the morning. (Not to mention more hygienic!)

    I do blog first thing in the morning though, sometimes while still in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if your blogging schedule will change in retirement?

      Delete
  13. One more reason I thank my unwillingness to get too immersed in cell phone tech. I haven't succumbed to the lure of laptops either and instead rely on my good ol' desktop computer which means I can't use tech in bed and have to make the physical trek to the sewing room to get online.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just wondering how Gary and Billie were doing. Billie, at least, looks good.
    I think you're right about the small tasks. They help me tremendously. Making the bed so that every time I pass through that room I am soothed, rather than annoyed. Making sure the dishes are washed or in the dishwasher, the counters clean, everything tidy before we go to bed. The laundry done, folded, put away. These are the things that give me a sense of purpose and rightness.
    Our caves are in order!
    That banana bread is a gorgeous loaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely see Gary in winter, just brief greetings now and then. We were both out cleaning up debris from the last snow before the next, yesterday.
      Yes, small stuff adds up to a calmer environment, good stuff.

      Delete
  15. I may try this - not looking at my emails when I wake. It can be stressful especially these days. Maybe a bit of reading from my library book instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, reading other than breaking, always breaking, news and emails, is a good start. I like that idea.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!