Wednesday, February 11, 2026

New knitting for me

I started this long shaped scarf with this yarn. I've made several of these for other people!  My turn, thanks to R for reminding me I can have nice things.

 I'm adapting the pattern to use straight needles because I don't have a circular. Maybe I once did when I made this before.

Anyway 




Happy camper here. I just wanted to explain a bit about my hand issues, in case you're getting the impression I'm smiling through pain. 

My hands don't hurt. They tire, the tissue is old and worn away with decades of close work. So the tendons jump and jolt a bit, and my fingers jam,  which makes fine work tricky. But it's all good, not complaining here.

I switch to whichever fiber art is easier at the time, good thing I have choices.

And today I got my home insurance bill. It's doubled since last year. I put in a message to the agent asking what? 

I suspect wo things have happened. Rates have risen and I've cancelled my auto insurance which I had had bundled with the home insurance to get a better rate. But I still think it's spite!

In the same mail I got the form which I can use to apply for several real estate tax and homeowner rebates at once. Good, I'll need it. 

I pressed all my electeds today to hold fast against $$ for ICE, and to vote down the SAVE and MEGA bills. That was before dawn, catching them early. 

And I thanked Booker for voting against the bad crypto bill. Good to catch them doing something right.

There's always something to dance about. 

Simple stuff like today was in the 30s f, so I got a walk. It was the maiden voyage of The Boots I stretched and have been practicing with at home before launching them. They move differently from shoes because of being up around my ankles, so I have to get used to it.

Enjoy your day sez

Ted, Big Ursy and Bad Pony! 





34 comments:

  1. That scarf will be beautiful, and you are so worth it! Thanks for explaining the State of the Hands. They've done a lot of work in their day, glad you're dealing with inconvenience instead of pain. So happy you got out for a walk, finally! How did your feet and ankles feel afterward, considering the new boots?

    I contacted my deep red legislators today as well, fat lot of good it'll do. Still, they need to hear from the opposition. Insurance rates continue to skyrocket. Talking with your agent is a good idea.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt fine after the walk, to my surprise. I think the boots are molding to shape now. Yes, I'd say my hand issues are a nuisance rather than a problem.
      Thank you for pushing against your electeds. Yes they need to know there's oppo.

      Delete
  2. I recognize those two Happy Day dancers from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I want to dance just seeing them.

      Delete
    2. Well done for getting out... I did go out but only briefly. I guess 30F is still cold... about 5 or 6 C here which I consider COLD!

      Delete
    3. Compared to how it's been, and with a long wind proof coat, it's fine. I really need to walk, even if only for about 20 minutes, my limit at the moment.

      Delete
  3. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, meaning a lower insurance premium, then it might be time to shop around. I am thinking of cancelling my home contents insurance but it is bundled with my car insurance, so maybe the car insurance will rise more than the cost of the contents insurance. Paying home contents insurance for 45 years and never making a claim was not a wise decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just reminded me -- I did make a claim last year. So that's the third reason. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. First claim ever, too, in decades of payment.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE that Trendsetty Yarn and Bad Pony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad Pony is a hit! I'm disproportionately happy with all of it.

      Delete
  5. I see a victory has been won on Canada tariffs. We’ll have to see if it is ever implemented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bunch of Republicans voted with Democrats. Scared about the midterms. And showing everyone exactly who's alone in wanting them.

      Delete
  6. It's good that you can adapt your crafting activity to the working condition of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful yarn, and a lucky neck to get to wear that scarf. I am glad you also mentioned your hands and coping with changes today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That yarn is so pretty! And I'm glad you can knit without pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely. And i don't count cramping and jamming as pain, more as a nuisance making me stop a lot. But manageable.

      Delete
  9. It's nice to make something for yourself, isn't it? I've got two pairs of socks nearly finished, one a gift and one for me, and this weekend I'll try to get them to the gifting point (toes left open for custom fitting). I'll let the recipient choose between the two pairs, which will be more fun for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For five years almost all my knitting has been for the knitting ministry, other than a couple of pairs of socks, so it's quite a novelty to knit for me. I like your idea of letting the recipient choose.

      Delete
  10. Well, also you must have made a claim against your home insurance to fix the accident damage or was that consequential damage covered by your car insurance too? Making a claim always drives rates up. Those bastards get you one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo. See my reply earlier to Andrew. I'd forgotten that. It definitely accounts for it after many years of steady billing.

      Delete
  11. Going to be a fantastic scarf!
    Hands, as part of our bodies that get some of the most use over our years, do tend to develop problems as we age. And I have found that old injuries can come back to haunt us. In my case, a wrist I broke when I was seventeen hinders the flexibility of that hand and after doing stitching or knitting or crochet for awhile, it goes numb. Not just needlework, though. Also things like snapping beans for canning. Any repetitive movement, really.
    We have used our bodies, haven't we? And now they tell us about it. We do work-arounds. We go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a history. But I have plenty to thank my hands for, too, so I'm not complaining. They continue to serve me well.

      Delete
  12. Is the name "Bad Pony" in honor of Bad Bunny? Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding ding ding we have a winner! Yes, it's a reference to Bad Bunny

      Delete
  13. Slowly, slowly, it seems some of the Rep's are voting against their party line and that has to be because of public pressure and perhaps, just perhaps, they're getting a dose of conscience. It's to be hoped.
    Your new scarf is going to be beautiful - that yarn is gorgeous and I suspect a joy to knit with. You deserve to treat yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about re-election, in the midterms. They're doomed if they stick with him out of fear. Now they're more afraid of their constituents.
      The yarn is nice to knit with, yes. It's time I had one of these scarves myself.

      Delete
  14. The yarn is so pretty. My hands are arthritic and have been for a long time. Not usually painful but they don't work too well. I would not be able to knit. Insurance rates are going up because of the weather catastrophes occurring year after year. Mine have soared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had forgotten until Debra reminded me, that I'd made a claim, too. First in over fifty years of paying premiums. And repairs are more expensive now. It all ends up coming from you and me.

      Delete
  15. Yes you do deserve pretty things. A bright new scarf will make you feel very happy while walking. I know what you mean about hands. Mine aren’t too bad yet. But hubbys hands are terrible. He’s been a mechanic for most of his life and the wear and tear really are starting to show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His kind of work definitely wears the body. Any repetitive work will do that, too. Fortunately there are more electrically operated tools now, to save some exertion, like drills and auto tools.
      You're wise to switch between knitting and crochet and stitching to save your hands as well as stay interested.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!