I'm in the middle of this map
Up to now it's mainly rain, and Handsome Son texted to say he's off to work anyway, since the forecast of blizzard conditions this morning didn't seem to have been right. Now they're saying snow overnight and Monday.
The local library closed today and postponed the lunar New Year celebration. It's still only damp, so they may as well have gone ahead. But they couldn't sit around waiting since performers were coming from further away and needed to know.
Tomorrow the cleaners are scheduled and I wrote to tell them not to push, be safe, we can reschedule (again). I don't plan to be away from the house anyway, so I'll just dodge them if they do show up. Which reminds me to set out a check just in case.
Wonderful lunch, forgot the picture, of baked breaded cod, roast potatoes and steamed broccoli. With malt vinegar. There's enough of everything to do it again tomorrow.
I finished and stitched up the slippers, and I think they're not quite good enough to give, so I'm wearing them.
I folded the rectangle, stitched one end up for the heel. Then I gathered the other end up, drew it tight and stitched for the toe, continuing up the front to make it fit. You just try on to make sure it's going to hold your foot firmly. Pro tip: if you make these, leave plenty of yarn beginning and end to use in the stitching up.
This was a real beginner project, and I may do it again only with better yarn for the Sock 'n glove Ministry. I kind of invented it I think, or maybe hundreds of knitters before me did.
It's definitely simple enough to work on while chatting at the Tuesday knitting group. In fact I wonder if it would be fun to knit corner to corner. That might also make a snug fit, since you'd be working on the bias.
I'd have to review how to do a c to c rectangle, bit more complex than a square. But I think Sarah Swett has explained that somewhere, in her Slanted Sweater. I know I did it when I spun and knitted and wove my vest of many colors.
My circular needle for wrappy scarf purposes has arrived, thank you, R, and is now prodding me on to the next thing. I think maybe I'll weave a lanyard, though. My hands are suggesting a different fiber art.
Snow has started, and I'm going to make a pot of tea with a slice of banana bread and spoonful of yogurt, and continue reading my mildly funny, snow day reading, mystery series
The inadvertent detective is Dr Lance Elliot general practitioner, and his retired doctor father who keeps Lance dragged into situations not helped by his eccentricity. The father's. The son is constantly sorting out life threatening situations created because his father thought they were a good idea at the time.
Happy day everyone, stay safe, whatever that is for you.








I'm glad the snow is holding off for you. Hope you stay safe and cozy! Those cute new socks will help!
ReplyDeleteThe snow is now coming down fast. Oh well.
DeleteMy grandma gave us all crocheted slippers one year - I think it was an elongated square joined at the top of the foot - I can't really remember - they were warm but we were DEFINITELY not to wear them out on the wet grass or slide along the veranda in them!
ReplyDeleteI can understand the restrictions! I keep forgetting and toodling about outside on the wet deck, not a good idea.
DeleteDr. Elliott sounds like fun. The socks look comfy. Glad you’ll be safe at home during the storm. I read it could be the worst in 150 years. I can’t remember the one from 150 years ago. I was too young.
ReplyDeleteI doubt if it will exceed the two and a half feet and drifting we had in the 90s. My building was cut off for three days, drifts to the second floor. Handsome Son just texted to say he'd got home after a sloooooow drive.
DeleteThose slippers look toasty warm!! We are getting snow right now with more snow tonight and in the early morning. I am keeping my fingers crossed the school buses are running. We are not expecting the same storm headed close to you!
ReplyDeleteI put the slippers on as soon as I finished them. I may never take them off again.
DeleteSnow is here for the next day or so…but not a blizzard at least. So I’ll cancel my Dr. appointment tomorrow afternoon. It’s about my migraines with a neurologist. It can wait. They just come and go. Those cozy slippers are cute, but I think I would have enjoyed your dinner more!
ReplyDeleteI have a rescheduled doctor appt, just routine, on Tuesday. It may not happen.
DeleteIt is snowing here too, and I have managed to pick up some sort of intestinal bug. Some days are just meant to stay inside. I gave up and have put myself to bed early.
ReplyDeleteSorry you're not well and sometimes giving up and retiring to bed is the best policy. I hope tomorrow goes better.
DeleteJust read a headline that more than 21,000 households in New Jersey are without power, and I thought of you. Hoping you stay safe and warm, Liz.
ReplyDeleteAs of now, power is in, thank you!
DeleteI hope your weather does not become too unfriendly. Weather forecasting is a science, but all too often seems like a throw of the dice.
ReplyDeleteIt's particularly tricky in central NJ where we're a few miles from the ocean and mountains one each side. A few compass points one way or the other of wind direction make all the difference, and we routinely get warnings of the worst just in case.
DeleteWe had some rather bad weather Thursday night through Friday morning that left even our roads closed and we are used to bad weather. This looks like it really cranked it up a notch. Stay safe, wear slippers, and enjoy your books.
ReplyDeleteI like this advice, so I'll take it.
DeleteI hope you ride out the storm in fine fashion.
ReplyDeleteSo do I!
DeleteI remember many of us went through a phase in Jr. High, I believe, of knitting slippers very much like that. Same basic design. We even made pom-poms for the tops. I had forgotten that.
ReplyDeleteI feel so silly but I've been complaining about having to bring plants back inside for our one night of a possible (most likely) freeze. We Floridians are spoiled. Until summer. Then we are tormented.
I wouldn't exchange our summer for yours, that's true. Winter's a different story.
DeleteI think it might be a good idea to sew some non-slip shelf liner to the bottom so you don't run the risk of a fall. Looks like you're in for a storm so good idea to stay home and knit.
ReplyDeleteWhen you knit garter stitch the ridges work like treads, nonslip. I wouldn't make them in stocking stitch, though, they could skid.
DeleteThe tumbling blocks piecing has caught my eye! I first thought it was a quilt draped over a couch arm, but now I think it's perhaps a pillow. So many y-seams in that! They're fun to look at. Great slippers! I grew up in NJ (on the Shore) and am quite familiar with how the geography is tricky for forecasting. I do have great memories from the 2x I was able to cross-country ski on the beach with my dad though! We have a tremendous blizzard up here at my home -- school's already been cancelled for tomorrow, extending my kids' winter/February break even longer... I'm drinking tea and taking deep breaths, ha!
ReplyDeleteThe pillow is English paper piecing. I spent a summer making pillows that way, many designs. But I love tumbling blocks, done it in other media too, such as paper.
DeleteAh, EPP is such a good way to make that design! I didn't think of that. I do remember seeing a parade of your pillows semi recently though -- such variety!
DeleteSince I'm reading backwards, I saw your snow! I'm glad you are comfortably tucked in at home with lots of yarn and more ideas! Stay cozy!
ReplyDeletePretty good day. And I've decided I'm not going anywhere till further notice.
Delete