Sunday, February 15, 2026

Scarfing along with Atomic Shrimp

This morning I'm into the next bit of the scarf production.

I had some yarn left from the main section so when I started on the two outer parts, I carried it along.  There was enough to cast on and knit one row on each part. 

You'll see how I left a length between needles, like a weaver working further down the warp. Using up the first yarn is planted to unify the middle and outer sections. Then the outer edges will be the same as the center section.

Then I cut off the excess once I started on the second yarn, and knitted in the ends as I went. Less finishing at the end. 

This second merino and silk yarn is lovely to handle, very kind to the knitter's hands.




Once launched, the trick is to avoid picking up the wrong yarn. It's really two projects moving in parallel on the same needle. I like this approach.

Back when I knitted sweaters when we made them in modular form, like dressmaking, I used to knit both sleeves at once, to keep them evenly shaped and to avoid second sleeve lethargy. That's the early version of second sock syndrome.

While I was doing this, I had Atomic Shrimp going on YouTube,one of his lengthy beach walk and picnic outings. It's the one at the top of the video thumbnails,


He's a funny man, very entertaining and enterprising, always exploring and discovering and cooking and learning crafts. He's a knowledgeable naturalist too.  

He's based in, I think, Dorset, he moved recently, somewhere in the south west peninsula of the UK. No, he doesn't know I'm doing this, in case you wondered. I just like to offer interesting channels and websites to anyone who would enjoy them.

Happy day everyone, today's lunch is a rerun of yesterday's.  Groundlunch Day.






26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's not unusual around here where I rarely make just one meal. Too much work!

      Delete
  2. Lovely yarn! I love groundlunch day, we may have to start using that term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be funny! It might entail some explainers.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to look up Atomic Shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do take a look. He's a lovely calm, cheerful narrator.

      Delete
  4. All this and what I got from it is: I’m craving shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch people knit both sleeves at the one time.
    I would probably get very tangled.
    The reason I love the knit two socks at the same time pattern is
    You don’t finish one and think oh my. I need to do that all over again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear people get that feeling. I instantly cast on the second sock so it happens. And I finish the pair before starting anything else, to make sure.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. According to the label, from a small yarn company in Montana, it's mountain colors. They're very nice, also the yarn is a treat to handle.

      Delete
  7. Atomic Shrimp. The name alone sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When he named his channel he said he chose two words as unrelated as possible.

      Delete
  8. Love the colour of the wool. I have never heard of knitting both sleeves at once but I am not a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people now knit sweaters on circular needles, so the pieces idea is about gone.

      Delete
  9. I am wordless at your abilities and skills in knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you sat by me to watch you'd conclude this isn't so hard!

      Delete
    2. I doubt it. I watched my mother knit for years and I never got over at how hard it looked.

      Delete
  10. Your scarf is going to be lovely with your white hair...perfect colours for you I think.
    I don't think I've ever used silk yarn but must admit it's intriguing me, although I really don't know what I would knit with it. Certainly wouldn't be a good idea for socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't work for socks, right. Scarves, hats, maybe a bit warm for a sweater.

      Delete
  11. I am definitely going to check this guy out. The yarn is beautiful, it makes me almost want to learn to knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learn to knit?? Let's not get carried away now

      Delete
  12. Atomic shrimp has proved to be an addictive rabbit hole of exploration! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's fun, isn't he? And he's meticulous about production values.

      Delete
  13. Atomic Shrimp sounds like something I need to look into.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!