An embroiderer friend passed on some nice ideas about visible mending. This sampler of visible mending ideas was created by Candy Barnes of @heartfulstitches
Doesn't that make you want to try out? Most of them are beginner friendly.
Then there are embroiderers like Melissa Galbraith, who create an entire miniature scene around a patched area.
There are blogistas who could do this, looking at you Bay Area M! And the rest of us can admire anyway.
Meanwhile back on earth, I found myself figuring out a simple pattern for knitted slippers made from a rectangle.
It's all very well to know your measurements, and you see the entire thinking in these notes, but without knowing how many stitches to cast on, what's a knitter to do?
This one crocheted a chain the length required for her foot, added in a few stitches because knitting takes up length a bit more than crochet, and started knitting by picking up the chain loops. Then I counted the resulting stitches and noted it. I could now do a knit cast on for the second slipper but the crochet chain does make a nice firm start.
I'm using up small quantities, so this project is striped with a cream yarn.
I started thinking this would be for me, but noticed that the yarn is machine washable, so these slippers may join the items for the Sock 'n glove 'n whistle Ministry.
I have a number of donated projects to finish, all interesting too, and I seem to be doing a project I suddenly thought of instead. Don't ask me, I only live here.
The weather is grey and there's dirty old snow, but no ice. So I donned those purple wrist warmers I made from a cashmere sweater,
now ankle guards because of the boots, the new scarf, the beret made from the same cashmere sweater, and went walking, coat open, that kind of cold no-wind day when you can.
I pushed a bit further, to retrieve my stamina which has decreased a bit with the snow stopping walking. Twenty minutes, in fact pretty good for me. Home to a pot of tea, and probably sleep will happen. It usually does after walking in the cold then coming home to get warm.
Happy day everyone, make do or don't, and remember where there's a will there's a won't.









I'm glad you're building up your stamina but also enjoying the rest afterwards.
ReplyDeleteI love the embroidery around that darn - but, no, some of us could/would not do that.
I love that decorative mend, too. The rest is inevitable!
DeleteStamina is so much easier to lose than to regain. I feel it in myself as well.
ReplyDeleteThat embroidery patching is beautiful and has given me ideas:) Thank you.
We'll need pictures when you put those ideas in action. Stamina does drop fast but it's possible if you're keeping up to regain it.
DeleteI have done some of most of those types of patches. I frequently use a folded over patch WITH the sashiko stitches. I often do both horizontal and vertical stitches to add more strength, especially if the fabric is quite worn.
ReplyDeleteYou shame me with your walks! Not on purpose, I'm sure. You know what I mean.
I really have to walk to keep up my spirits, especially in winter. This time of year is dispiriting. I think we need to hear more about your patching
DeleteA walk in the cold requires a post-walk nap. At least in our house.
ReplyDeleteThat patchwork sampler is amazing - who knew? The new slippers will be cozy for who(m?)ever receives them.
Chris from Boise
The sampler makes a person think of more ways to patch. Now I'm in search of a place needing a patch.
Delete.
This visible mending by Melissa Galbraith is a true work of art!
ReplyDeleteShe is an artist in thread, yes
DeleteSomehow, I missed your post yesterday. How nice to see all of the different kinds of hand work that people do!
ReplyDeleteToday's patching reminds of Ms.Mary Moon's posts about her patching. Always looks so cool when she shows us! It was warmer but windy here but the sun was shining so I got out for a walk. Hooray for us!
Walking rules! Yes, I always want to see more of Mary's patching.
DeleteSo happy you’re building up your stamina. It depletes too readily. I love all your latest knitwear and those visible patches and embroidery. My perfectly worn Levis 501s have worn through in a couple of inappropriate spots. The stitching is tempting but it might draw more attention to the two inner crotch spots than I’d like.
ReplyDeleteThat's where you use the forest technique -- add in several other patches so the awkward places aren't very noticeable.
DeleteYou must have been cozy warm in all the beautiful wool, Boud.
ReplyDeleteIt's light warm and windproof. A threefer
DeleteLove the visible mending chart, thank you
ReplyDeleteYou can adapt these ideas to your small art, without needing to mend.
DeleteI don’t think hubby would be too thrilled with the fancy embroidery on his patches. But it do like some of the ones on that sampler. I might just screen shot that and refer back to it when I next patch one of his clothes
ReplyDeleteI wonder if it's an art form the girls might lik?
Delete"where there's a will there's a won't" 😄 I seem to have more won'ts than wills. We had blizzard conditions yesterday that was was certainly a won't day. I have a cashmere sweater that has some holes. I should try the visible mending.
ReplyDeleteYou're the second person to say that about sweaters.
DeleteI hope, when my current pair of jeans springs a leak, that I remember some of the creative mending ideas. At the price of jeans these days (particularly those with the inseam length I need) I need to make them last as long as possible.
ReplyDeleteMaybe bookmark. It's a nice chart thank you Candy
DeleteWhat a lot of wonderful craft! LOVING those boot guard socks!
ReplyDeletePlenty of color there.
Delete