Saturday, February 14, 2026

Happy Veeday, redtail, decisions

Happy Valentine's Day, it's for friends and friendship and thank you all for being the. 

One of the local friends I sent Valentine greetings to is a nun. She was very pleased, saying, well, this is the only one I'll get, so it's precious. I expect there was a certain amount of eye rolling, too.

Today I dragged out the garbage and recycle, how does a single person manage to create so much, despite my green efforts, to the dumpster area, and got a dazzling reward.

I heard bird cries like a bluejay but louder, and spotted 

A red tail hawk, high in the tree on the left there, preening, maybe with mating hopes, and probably hunting small birds. This is a hungry time for the hawks, their usual prey hidden under the snow, so they start showing up near bird feeders

The small birds are very scarce as long as she's up there. We have several pairs around here, doing fine despite development, traffic, habitat threat. They're wonderful athletes to watch swooping around the sky.

Then food had to be fixed. I'd thought of a red lentil curry but didn't feel like making it, then I thought ah, red lentil tofu. So that's what happened. 


There was a good bit of blended lentils leftover so that's in the fridge with the frozen cooked sweet potato, for soup when I get to it.

Then there was the other ambitious plan, a blueberry clafouti. This is officially an easy dish, but that's when you're in the mood for it which I found l wasn't. Then I thought pancakes. Not that either. 

Anyway while I was trying to decide, I set the berries to macerate in a bit of sugar, some molasses, which entailed emptying and wiping down a cabinet shelf, and soaking the glass plate a lot of items had been on, including the now apparent bonded jar of molasses. 

Anyway, jar separated, plate wiped and repurposed, cabinet neat, I got on with the food. I don't think this kind of thing happens in posh cooks' kitchens. 

After the molasses incident, I added in lemon zest, some of that minced ginger I was bragging about yesterday, cinnamon, salt and cornstarch. Then I left it alone.


I was listening to Lucy Worsley interviewing a food historian while I was blundering about in the kitchen, seemed a propos. 

The tofu cubes, with a nice sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, worked fine. And enough for tomorrow.

The fruit sauce, jam, stuff I boiled like jam briefly, smelled great and decided it was sauce with plain yogurt.



Note sneaky reflection. 


The green beans were accidentally enhanced when I was scraping the berries into a small pan, and mistook the identical pan with the green beans in it, and put a spoonful of marinade in it. No harm done. 

I expect a posh cook has a fancy name for it, even. Haricots verts maceres, maybe. Add your own accents throughout this reading.

Speaking of accidentally enhancing --if I can disable the highlights I will. I hit the button by accident. Small screen, big fingers. And I'm told that only removing all the formatting, however that's done, will fix it. 

Happy day everyone, cook for the uncritical people. Such as yourself. And disregard highlights. 






 

38 comments:

  1. I loved being in the kitchen with you, Chef Boud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had been. I could have used help getting the molasses jar off the plate without breaking either.

      Delete
  2. Our VeeDay is a bit milder too. At least I think yours sounded that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so welcome, being able to walk without setting your face against an icy wind.

      Delete
  3. I call all of my red lentil dishes Dhal. Makes me sound like I know what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment moderation? Or is there commenting glitch again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moderation is in place. I've had problems with bots. I try to moderate promptly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah. Had some problems. depending on you local laws and whether it's worth your time, look into coercive tied selling. Might not apply to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting thought. I'm not sure if you're referring to the pesky highlighting or my insurance situation. I don't believe it applies to the insurance, since I moved my ho insurance to this company many years ago, to get the favorable rate. Once I cancelled the auto coverage I lost the bundling advantage. The current quote is less than my next door neighbor, same company, his is a smaller house.

      Delete
    2. If it's the highlighting, I think it won't appear on my next post as long as I manage not to touch the icon.

      Delete
  7. 1. Bundled still needs to tell you by what percentage.tage it goes up. If they did then forget it. But. You might try the loyalty angle. It depends on the contract.
    2. People who moderate usually have a little note that they do. Sometimes comments don't"stick" and readers have no way of knowing. There have been problems with that lately.
    3. No comment on the highlighting but if you copy paste a text it Sometimes does that and you need to reformat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, the molasses! This happened to me a few months ago. Not fun! I saw a beautiful blue bird today, and it was beautiful (male, Eastern Bluebird). A fun sighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly, some blue birds winter over here, at the Preserve. Molasses is sneaky stuff.

      Delete
  9. Happy V day back at'cha, Boud! Oh, molasses! It's amazing what it can glue to, even when one is sure it's completely stoppered up in the jar. Glad you had it on a plate, or you'd have a cupboard to wash too (speaking from experience). The clafouti sauce with yogurt looks absolutely divine.

    Redtails are superlative hawks. I love all the others, but redtails best of all. In an earlier life, I had the chance to hack an injured one back to the wild - the closest I'll ever come to being a genuine falconer. What a blue, blue sky behind it!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wash the jar before putting it back, but it still sticks. If ever I need superglue I know what I can use.
      I love the redtails, and have never identified their call before, since they're usually so high up.

      Delete
  10. I love now lots of people put food out for the birds and animals to eat during winter. Our Aussie wildlife is blessed to have plenty of food all year round.
    During the hot summers we put out water for not only the birds and animals But for reptiles, like blue tongue lizard, and insects.
    You really did have an adventure in the kitchen. Things like that help to break up the monotony of our lives lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is important for bees and butterflies, too. Around here there are many ponds and shallow water ways so wildlife manages. But I still leave out a shallow bowl of water in the shade and sometimes find a frog resting in it.

      Delete
  11. So hawks apparently don't fly south for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a big feature in our winter skies, as well as vultures.

      Delete
  12. You create such wonderful dishes. I love the sound of blueberry clafouti. Like a dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the word clafouti. Not a very posh dish, but a great name. Thank you for the nice words. I like to cook a variety so I don't lose interest, always a danger in old age, when it's an effort to cook.

      Delete
  13. I am a messy, definitely not posh, cook! Our rubbish bag has definitely got smaller since recycling, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have so much recycling, that's what bothers me, given that recycling isn't as effective as advertised. I try to avoid buying packaging, and I appreciate Misfits picking up insulated bags and ice blocks.

      Delete
  14. Some of the blogger text formatting will toggle on and off if you press the button again, but I'm sure you tried that so never mind. The one weird thing I've had happen at random times is that my text won't "center" or "left align" when I want it to. I discovered that by asking it to "right align" first, it will then cooperate and move to where I wanted it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try everything you can do with a Fire tablet, yes, you guessed right! Blogger routinely left aligns for me, images centered, set up years ago back when I had a laptop. But if I click under an image, the text suddenly centers itself to match. I just don't worry about it now, though it's irritating. And I'm limited in what my tablet can do, I'm also limited in what I can spend on techie stuff. I was only concerned in case people, especially new blogistas, thought I wanted the highlighting, as if I was saying very important stuff! Nooooo...

      Delete
  15. Molasses refuses to be entirely washed off a jar, even with hot water. Even if I clean the lid. It's a conundrum to me.
    Blogger will do that centering thing to me too. Lately, things have changed a little in the dashboard of different tools and the problem seems to have righted itself. Sometimes.
    Do you find yourself only wanting to cook things that sound good right that minute? I suppose we all do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it's not worth worrying about blogger. People who are used to it just wait and usually it gets back again.
      I find I have something in mind to cook and do that. Maybe a few allowances for my energy at the time. I'm not very spontaneous that way though.

      Delete
  16. I have a lot of old standards that I cook and don't get too inventive when I cook.
    I had no idea what a clafouti is but I did look it up on Duck,Duck,Go. I don't make many desserts and it looks like a dessert but I can see how you use the filling as a topper for your yogurt. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clafouti is a French origin simple dessert, originally popular in cherry season when you suddenly have a lot of cherries. But any fruit will work. I assemble rather than cook desserts usually.

      Delete
  17. I would happily be your sous chef! Clafoutis is really simply, I think. I may make one today. I use my blender instead of a mixer, it just seems easier for me. I stay away from molasses as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some days when I can't be bothered to lift down the blender. Also to clean it later. Yesterday I'd already used it for the tofu mixing so that seemed to be the day's allotment! I just wasn't up for more cooking.

      Delete
  18. There's chicken roasting in the oven now - dead easy. We shall have hot chicken and salad sandwiches for supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good, as well as easy. The house smells great with chicken roasting in the oven.

      Delete
  19. Molasses is notorious for getting glued down onto things...perhaps a light coating of veg oil on the bottom of the jar might help? Or...find a plastic container that the jar fits into and then simply let it stay stuck until you're ready to dispose of it.
    Like you, we are constantly amazed at the amount of recycling we manage to generate despite trying to do conscious purchasing to avoid as much packaging as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now put the molasses jar in a tinfoil cupcake case. It can get stuck if it wants, I don't care now!
      I'm so good about frugal shopping, but so much food is packed in plastic, arghghg.

      Delete
  20. I love that you sent a valentine to the nun. That made me smile. Bigtime!

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!