I completed the snowstorm scarf and modeled it
This entailed, I hope you bookmark this, ironing. This is a rare event, and the stuff has been waiting some time, but I needed to steam press my new scarf and the wool one which I've been wearing already. And a table cloth for Easter and a little curtain for the bathroom which got in the way of a cut finger and needed washing. Quite a while ago. There's more but that's for another day.
Proof of life -- iron plugged in and temp set. I didn't iron everything you see here, need to save some fun for later. Or something.
Then, since Misfits wasn't due till afternoon, I made croquettes for lunch. The last of the cod, last of the potatoes, last of the broccoli with plenty of spices, they can take it. I mashed in some green olives. Cod and green olives are a bit Mediterranean.
I blended the lot with an egg, rolled the croquettes in panko and called it lunch.
I cooked them for five minutes on high, then, covered, on medium another five. The glass lid is the turntable from the deceased microwave, fits nicely and it's tempered, so safe. The mixture made enough for two more croquettes for Friday. Crunchy outside, soft inside, not too spicy.
That package of cod with spuds and broccoli, made seven meals. Not bad.
Meanwhile I put out the recycling for Misfits
And Haleem arrived in due course, I see the pink van is back on the road.
Here's the boxful. No blueberries available this week, more lovely eggs which I now realize I didn't need to order this week.
But I have plenty of spinach and shredded cheddar, so I can make a crust free quiche, which needs five eggs. The shredded cheese, I know I usually avoid shredded, was in fact cheaper by weight than the block I usually buy, hence the two bags.
Bananaz looking good, no apples this week since I had plenty. Canned goods for the food pantry, coffee for me, two bags in case, shock, horror, they don't have it whenever I need it.
Lovely green beans, literally as fresh as new picked, very tender. I'm not a fan of green beans but these are very good. I now partly cook vegetables as soon as they arrive, and find this makes sure I use them all up.
Two loaves for the lazy baker and I ordered flour this week. Yogurt, and they have my favorite back in stock, nice with pureed pumpkin, or peach chunks. Chocolate because it's been a haaard week what with cold and snow.
All stocked up and feeling very lucky again.
Happy day, what do you like to have enough of in the kitchen in order to feel secure?

















Your deliveries always look so delicious! I love croquettes, too.
ReplyDeleteYour ironing ethic is a lot like mine. When I do set up the ironing board (usually on request of one of my adult children who do not own irons or ironing boards) I am scouring the house for wrinkles because I know how long it will be before I set it up again.
I used to iron a lot when I quilted. But I only pressed quilt pieces, lol.
For many years I only ironed watercolor paper. Nowadays I rely on taking clothes out of the dryer warm and shaking them. That's it
DeleteWow, it seems like you whipped up that scarf so quickly and it looks so nice.
ReplyDeleteI have no good answer for what I really need in the kitchen.
It's a quick knit, very simple repetitive stitch. But it works into a nice scarf.
DeleteIt's amazing how you survive mainly on the contents of one little box.
ReplyDeleteWhen I order every week, I amass food in the freezer too. I eat well, three meals a day from my boxes.
DeleteI recently got the iron out, after a long hiatus, to press a t-shirt that I was going to take a photo of for the blog. Didn't want everyone to think I'm a complete slob by photographing it wrinkles and all. I guess that's what they mean by "curating your life for social media."
ReplyDeleteYou'll be tidying for visitors next. Steady on!
DeleteStop, Boud, you're SCARING me!
DeleteI am a weekend afternoon when I am in the mood and something interesting to watch on the tube and do the lot sort of ironer - it only happens sporadically.
ReplyDeleteThe croquettes look great.
What do I like to have enough of in the kitchen in order to feel secure? Hmmm - I suppose dried beans, tins of stuff, rice and oil are the needs, a bit of vanilla, eggs, sugar and inspiration are wants, aren't they?
That's quite a good list of basic needs. Inspiration helps a lot.
DeleteSteady on! Next you'll be tidying up for visitors. That way madness lies.
ReplyDeleteThis was written in reply to Debra, then vanished, then I wrote another then the original reappeared. Search me.
DeleteI don't mind ironing but I don't do it often. In fact, it is not unusual for me to discover a dress which I had forgotten I had in the to-be-ironed portion of the closet I use for this purpose.
ReplyDeleteI think that having flour in the pantry, eggs in the refrigerator, and chicken in the freezer are things that make me feel secure.
That scarf is a beauty! A beauty for a beauty.
Yeah, I fell down on the flour front this week. I'm very pleased with the scarf.
Delete"what do you like to have enough of in the kitchen in order to feel secure?"
ReplyDeleteHonest answer: water and cat food.
I love this answer!
DeleteFood security....a few. Bread, small tins of chili tuna, cocktail tomatoes, supermarket bought potato salad, milk and breakfast cereal. I don't like to run out of any of these, and generally don't.
ReplyDeleteThat's a comprehensive list!
DeleteLove that scarf. The ironing board use is a rarity here, that’s for sure!
ReplyDeleteAnd if you leave it up, things get left on it!
DeleteIn the kitchen I like to have enough Instant Coffee and teabags, plus milk in case people drop in and say yes please if I offer a cuppa. I LOVE green beans and buy fresh ones to part boil (there's a word for that which I can't remember) and freeze because they taste better than store bought frozen beans. The storm scarf is beautiful, but I did not know they need ironing. I haven't ironed anything in decades. Wash and wear is for me.
ReplyDeleteNewly knitted items need to be blocked or steam pressed to open up the design. Just once. After that, wash and wear.
Delete"Blanching" that's the word I couldn't remember.
ReplyDeleteAh, yes, got it.
DeleteAdore the scarf! Mercy food and her Churu snacks.
ReplyDeleteAnother person owned by her cat prioritizes cat supplies! Why am I not surprised? Thank you for the nice words about the scarf.
DeleteThe scarf looks mighty fine.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see the pink van again, so much cheerier and optimistic than the white one.
The pink van looks more authentic. I think it works better for the drivers, too.
DeleteAnytime I order from Misfits it is delivered by FedEx. The pink van is nicer. You got the scarf done fast! I pile ironing up and then take an afternoon to do it while listening to a book or watching tv. If I'm going to be truthful here, I need (want) my pantry and refrigerator full always. You'd think I grew up with food insecurity. Which I did not.
ReplyDeleteThe pink van is designed for food boxes, and for delivering bananas separately. They also pick up recyclable material from previous orders. I doubt if that happens with FedEx. I wish they'd extend the pink van range to other regions. It's much better.
DeleteThat is a lovely scarf, Boud, as for ironing it is seldom done. The only ironing board is now a portable fold up that is set up on the dining room table when needed. The cod and green olives sounds delicious and we enjoy both. Items like canned tomatoes, beans and broths are always stocked in our pantry as both provide good meal options.
ReplyDeleteMy ironing board is a little portable, too, resting on the spare room bed and rarely used. I think your basics are like mine.
DeleteI always need eggs and a wonderful kind of coffee... your croquettes look delicious.
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend!
And your scarf is great!
Eggs are vital! The joke in my house was: what would you like for dinner, there's eggs.
DeleteI always need some emergency chocolate in the house, because, emergencies.
ReplyDeleteI'm doing so much better at using up leftovers since I retired, more time I guess.
Your scarves turned out beautifully. Cod croquettes sound good, although I rarely eat fish. Maybe I will eat fish:)
I grew up near the ocean, now live near another ocean, so I'm fish conscious. Salt water rather than freshwater, though. I agree, using food up needs planning which needs time.
DeleteI can't remember the last time I used my iron on clothing. If clothes need ironing I simply refuse to buy them.
ReplyDeleteBlueberries being unavailable might be due to the massive recall on them. As for food security I would probably have to say pasta (and coffee!).
Misfits doesn't deal with big ag. who are guilty of farming malpractice. They just don't always get enough to meet demand. But next week, maybe.
Delete