Sunday, February 8, 2026

Baking, cooking,Pilates, in the moment

On this Superb Owl Sunday, admire 

And a great moment from the monk leading the Peace Walk 

While he was speaking a drone flew over head, distracting his audience, and he instantly used the moment to remind everyone to note for a moment, let it pass, then return to the moment. He's a wonderful teacher.

Because I can't get out again and it's dispiriting, I did some Pilates first thing and felt much better. April and Aiko on yes2next.

This was created for a past Christmas but it's legal to do it in February, too.

And there was baking because cold weather is baking weather. Here's a banana chocolate chip loaf


Cook's first slice with a spoonful of plain yogurt.

Then I found lovely Alberto of the Waving Hands, at Spain on a Fork on YouTube, with a great sauce. 

I dressed roast potatoes with it, he did boiled. I used Greek black kalamata olives, he used green Spanish ones. 


The package is frozen thyme from the garden years ago but still with plenty of flavor.

Second picture's the sauce and boiled potatoes awaiting roasting. I dressed them right before eating, and forgot a picture, but they were excellent. Enough sauce to do this a couple times more, too.

The other good thing was that it finished up, finally, the capers and olives I've been using for ages. Bananaz honey and yogurt for dessert.

He used a food processor because I guess he's advertising them. I don't have one but my stick blender and a narrow container usually work just as well, and did here.

For other purposes, a hand held mixer will work fine, too, where YouTube chefs are using fancy food processors. We don't hafta.

About the fiberarts presentations, I think I'm still okay with Textiles and Tea. They know I blog about them, and I think they're okay with it. I've recommended a number of presenters to them, so I don't think they look on me as a passenger.   

The others, TMASC, Hajii Baba, New England Rug Society I'll give you a heads-up when they notify me, and you can sign up.  

TMASC has a lovely long, picture-rich monthly newsletter, too.

Pro tip: they get hundreds of viewers from many countries and usually fill up before they start, sending latecomers to YouTube, where they can watch but not participate in q and a. So I sign in at least five minutes early or more, because I like to have my say.

Happy day everyone, keeping warm here and hoping that warmer weather gets here 

Temps in the thirties! I don't know how I'm going to manage.





 


34 comments:

  1. I am in opposite world- I have no stick blender and no hand mixer. I do have a food processor and I love it. I even make simple yeast breads and pizza dough in it. I also have a very nice stand mixer. I've had it forever but it's strong as an ox.
    We all use what we have and we learn to love what we use, don't we?
    Mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we use what we can afford, too. But it's nice to enjoy your tools.

      Delete
  2. Better weather must be coming to you because our deep freeze will moderate somewhat later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a food processor either or a stand mixer. Both take up too much room. I have a hand mixer my mother gave me in the late 1970s when I got my first apartment. I've been thinking about perhaps getting an immersion (stick) blender too but have made no move to do so for the past decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rush on these things, but I don't know how you can make soup without a stick blender.

      Delete
    2. I just never make a soup that's not chunky. So no cream of broccoli or anything fancy-shmancy like that for me.

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see. I don't like chunky soup so much. So for me, vital. Smoothies too. Homemade mayonnaise. But if they're not in your repertoire, no need.

      Delete
  4. All my married life I used a hand held mixer. The same one. I got it as a wedding gift.
    But now even that can get heavy if you have to beat something for ages. Not to mention making dough. My arms just don’t work long enough. So I looked for a Stand mixer. Oh my lord. The prices. My first car didn’t cost as much.
    I looked on Amazon and found one for $250. Much cheaper than the thousands for fancy ones.
    I don’t need mine to drive me to work. Just to mix.
    It works fine and I used the money I saved on other things.
    Like yarn , thread, fabrics lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your calculations about how much you saved! And how that justified other spending..

      Delete
  5. We’ve got food processor, stick blender, tall blender, hand mixer... and a mortar and pestle. Haven’t used (well, SG hasn’t used) the food processor for ages. I bought the stick blender to make my smoothies and it turned out to be the best gadget for SG when he’s cooking. Banana chocolate chip loaf with yogurt. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my stick blender more than anything. Soup, sauces, smoothies. Every recipe beginning with s. The bcc loaf was good with a pot of tea.

      Delete
  6. I have frozen fresh thyme in my freezer too, been there for years. I have a recipe that calls for one sprig, which you can't buy, you have to buy the whole bunch, so the rest went into the freezer and I get one sprig at a time when I need it. I think there is only two sprigs left now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thyme holds up well. I used to have a plant which grew for years and years, then suddenly it didn't. But I froze what was left and as you say, you need a tiny amount at a time.

      Delete
  7. Another of your very full but very balanced days. Good food, exercise, mental stimulus, creativity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of balance, but yes, it was.

      Delete
  8. It became milder here last week and looks like it will continue. I hope you get some of that weather soon, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. The dry air isn't to my liking and no amount of humidifying seems to help much.

      Delete
  9. yes2next has a wonderful selection of video tutorials, hasn't it? Great for when you can't or don't want to go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a devoted follower for ages. I like how April is catering to the female body. There are some good online trainers for older people, but they're typically young men and no use as a model for me.

      Delete
  10. Our temps are warming up a bit here in Illinois. We may get in the 40s (F) for several days so I hope to get out for a walk. I hope our temps will spread to your area soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're gradually getting there. I might get a walk today, it's in the 20s and might rise.

      Delete
  11. I have an old hand mixer that I use regularly. A stand mixer I bought in the '80s and also use regularly. I use my food processor a lot, especially during pesto making season. My immersion blender is never used. Either is the blender. These items have lasted a long time. We are having a warming spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there should be an appliance exchange! Unused ones in exchange for needed ones...it's a thought.

      Delete
  12. Good post. I have been enjoying the videos and thank you again for sharing them. Can't go wrong with baking. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the textile posts. I hope you'll follow for yourself, because they're really good and you'll see more

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Aka Bad Bunny Day with background ball chucking

      Delete
  14. Being able to be in the moment like that is a special gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a lifelong quest. It is for me, anywa-- oh look, A squirrel.

      Delete
  15. You're right -- cold weather IS baking weather. I admire your Pilates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pilates video is the only one that I feel next day. It's not as gentle as it seems at the time.

      Delete
  16. The RC made sourdough bread yesterday and tested out his new dutch oven to see if it baked as well as the loaf pans he'd been using - success. We have two sizes of food processors (only because the little one came along with the bigger); a stick blender, and a Kitchenaid mixer. The mixer is one of the best purchases we've made and it gets used at least three or four times a week.
    At this moment (10am) we're sitting at -6C which we can call a positive heat wave. Sadly, snow comes along with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a kind of Dutch oven for bread and discontinued my loaf pans after that, the oven worked so well. I kept one loaf pan for banana bread. Kitchenaid products are really good in my limited experience.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!