Monday, February 9, 2026

Still too chilly to walk, but there's nesting and solidarity

 The cotton and wire basket/nest is finished, see here




That was fun, and I'll show it to my needlearts group tomorrow.

I also just felt like weaving paper, no reason, just fun, so the strips I originally cut when I was thinking about the cotton basket came into play. 

It's not a thing, just the result of needing to weave a bit.  Sometimes you just have to be making, doesn't matter what. Just the motions of weaving. Or knitting or crocheting or anything really. It doesn't have to have an outcome other than being happy you did it.

Yesterday T. uninvited two governors from the National Governors' Association dinner and reception at the White House. One being our only Black governor. So I swiftly messaged our brand new gov, Mikie Sherrill, asking her to decline in solidarity. 

I got a form response which is fine, meaning it's been received. So we'll see. It's just the White House hospitality part, doesn't affect the actual business of the meeting.

Good news about the bad crypto Bill that I asked my senator on the Finance committee to vote against. All the Dems voted against. Solidarity.

Happy day everyone, did you understand the Puerto Rican Spanish accent? Bad Bunny at the Superbowl. Me neither, but I watched a video explaining all the political and cultural meaning of the show. It was wonderful.

I know a couple of people thinking maybe they should learn some Spanish in solidarity..my own is rusty at best.





34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A toy! In time for Easter!

      Delete
    2. Might Emily's eggs nestle into that? Chris from Boise

      Delete
    3. Now there's a thought. Yes, they could. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I thought it looked familiar! It feels nice in my hand, pretty good for tiny eggs

      Delete
  3. We went out for a few quick photos but it was cold enough to abandon the notion of going for a walk. Apparently, a weather change is coming, but that is what they said about the second coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't end up getting out, not wanting to spend ages getting all togged up then tolerating the cold for about ten minutes.

      Delete
  4. Your woven basket turned out quite lovely. I enjoyed the halftime show and even though I don't understand Spanish, he made the show speak in other ways, like the linemen on the power polls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even if you did speak Spanish, the Puerto Rican sound would still be hard to follow. But it didn't matter really, as you say.

      Delete
  5. I don't know what it is about purple, but it's such a delightful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In rl the yarn is more reddish, but I hear you on purple.

      Delete
  6. the colours in the paper weaving are a very satisfying blend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting up and reweaving images is pleasing. It works because the colors were together in a different formation.

      Delete
  7. I see now that Sherrill has said she will boycott the dinner. Good for her. I miss living in NJ. Stuck in Ohio w/a dreadful man for governor. Loved the show. Also so nice to see Ricky Martin included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your efforts to resist in Ohio are so valuable, much harder than resisting here in a more or less blue state.

      Delete
  8. We have been very cold no walking fir me but shoveling once in awhile.
    Your weaving is lovely.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you getting so tired of the cold? Thank you for the nice words.

      Delete
  9. Now I am trying to think of something you could make tiny eggs out of to put in your tiny basket. Or I could see you attaching it to the wall somewhere and putting something in it. Either utilitarian that you use in that location or perhaps simply pretty. Felted flowers? A felted bird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Chris suggestion earlier. That's the thing. About where, I think next to the real birds nest on the bookcase. As a statement.

      Delete
  10. Perhaps you will garner inspiration from your arts group for things to enhance your little nest - not that it needs enhancing, just filling, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww - the wee basket turned out wonderfully! I remembered you had wee eggs on display (was it last year?) and thought they would look perfect nestled in.
    Uninviting people seems to be the common thing for the orange idiot. Now he's got his panties in a twist over the bridge between the US and Canada that, I might add, was totally paid for by Canadians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Chris are both remembering the eggs from Emily the cockatiel, her last clutch, which I painted and bring out at Easter in a miniature teacup. I think they'll go into this nest.

      Delete
  12. Yes, it is a hummingbird nest. I didn't see the halftime show but I plan to watch it on YouTube. I had Spanish in 4th grade. I'm amazed at how much of it stuck. I don't speak Spanish by any stretch of the imagination but I do understand quite a few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See how you navigate boricuan Spanish! It's a great show and there's a video explaining all the political and historic meanings. It's an encyclopedia of Puerto Rican history in a few minutes.

      Delete
  13. The little basket turned out beautifully. Have a good day today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That tiny. Nest is adorable. A hummingbird might like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! They're a rare fleeting sighting here.

      Delete
  15. The AP has said the National Governors Association has pulled out of meeting with T. as he was only going to invite Republican governors to the White House. Here's the link to that story: https://apnews.com/article/trump-kevin-stitt-governors-meeting-washington-ee4e696534082638795e1804d71f4966

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Gov Sherrill had already decided to skip the dinner. But this shows some solidarity. Governors don't like silly stunts by presidents.

      Delete
  16. Your nest is fun and very clever! I heard the govs have pulled out of this meeting -- and good for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the governors are protective of their association. Good for them.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!