Thursday, February 19, 2026

Misfits and puzzling yarn

Moving on with the slippers this morning and I decided the two colors I'm using may not make it, not enough.  So I rummaged around in the donated yarn and found two hanks of machine washable black yarn that will do okay, to be included in the color blocks.

But take a look 

Left is how the hank starts out. But it doesn't uncoil once as usual, into a single skein. Instead it's like bread you pull apart. Turns out to be several small skeins as you see. In the forefront is an uncoiled one. This makes quite a small ball of yarn. I wonder about this. It means a lot of joins in the knitting, not usually a good thing. Knitters, do you have any theories about this? 

Anyway Misfits arrived still in the white rental truck. I wonder if the pink van is in the shop. It takes weeks to get parts nowadays.





Can for the food pantry, and I had more for them already, Envy apples, bigger than gala or Rockits, plenty of potatoes to parboil ready for roasting or mashing, depending. 

Spinach because it goes everywhere, unsalted butter because what I have is salted but I like baking with unsalted because I can add as I want, Bananaz because they're a great snack and I may mash some for future banana bread.

Soy sauce, not Kikkoman, just trying a different one, peanut butter for granola bars, cod to go with roast potatoes and maybe broccoli which I already have.

 Red lentils because I'm all out and they're a staple, particularly for tofu, yogurt likewise a staple, I use it in pastry as well as a sour cream sub. Hot spicy plant based sausage. I might make sausage rolls with yogurt pastry. Or croquettes with roast potatoes and spinach. No end of ideas.



So that's us. I'm happy to say none of my relatives was arrested from a palace today. 

If it's a tough day, we can say well at least I wasn't arrested for passing on official secrets. Yeah I know that's the least of his crimes, but remember Al Capone went down for tax evasion, so there's that. Sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony.


And here's late breaking good news, from New Brunswick NJ, close to where I'm sitting

The original plan for a park was restored. 




 

37 comments:

  1. I suppose Misfits is having to hire a van - not cheap, but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no option when you're delivering perishables.

      Delete
  2. Good reminder that Al Capone went down for tax evasion. Now, how will we get Drumpf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the Misfits van was stolen. Hey, it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea why that yarn would be cut up like that.
    Interesting that being a prince doesn't shelter you from the law, but a lowly president can get away with anything. I read something that suggested that the orange buffoon is only staying office to act as a 'front' for the illegal things that are going on behind the scenes that they're hoping John Q. Public doesn't notice because they're fixated on the OB. There's a ton of truth to that I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hasn't our pedophile in chief been evading taxes for decades if not longer?
    Do we cry or do we curse?
    Looks like a good Misfits week.
    I have NO idea about that yarn. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I long for the day we nail him. But first we have to boot Blondi.

      Delete
  6. Relatives the palace, haha. They can't be as bolshie as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, we bolshies don't usually have palaces.

      Delete
  7. It's telling that the only man charged so far with regards to the Epstein files, was charged with misconduct while in public office and not rape. They really don't care about women, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. However the prosecutor has to have enough evidence to make a charge stick and be appeal proof. The passing on of national secrets has receipts, the rapes not so much. There's no doubt of his guilt all round. The Official Secrets Act is massively serious. It used to be a hanging offence to break it, and it can still have a life sentence. So that's a place to start. They may unfold more. The law is very annoying that way.

      Delete
  8. I did read sad news that the sick infant was deported with his family. The conditions in those detention centers (concentration camps) are spreading measles, RSV, Bronchitis to infants and children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're terrible places. And now the family's back in Mexico with hardly any money, only what they had on them, a toddler and a sick newborn. The Texas moc is trying to get help to them.

      Delete
  9. One can imagine the feelings at Buckingham Palace today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all protected him, even contributed $$ to his settlement, so not much sympathy here.

      Delete
  10. Nice to see Big Tech come on the losing end occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joy in that crowd was lovely to hear. I think this nation is getting a refresher on peaceful chanting protest.

      Delete
  11. I was to shop tomorrow, but the next storm will be rolling in. We shall survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if you ever get so low in supplies you have to get out anyway in bad weather. You may need ingenuity for a day or two.

      Delete
  12. I think knitting with the black and having to make too many joins would be awkward and slow things down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly, so what is the point. If you scroll down to Quinn's suggestion, I think she might have got it.

      Delete
  13. You have quite the haul. I’m sure you won’t go hungry with all that at hand.
    I so wish Virginia was here to see it. I pray this is the beginning and the whole rotten house of cards comes tumbling down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to take a lot to see more people charged. Especially in the US.

      Delete
  14. Maybe the black yarn was originally part of a kit, and each precut mini was measured for a specific section of the project? That's the only reason I can think of for intentionally small skeins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might very well be it, thank you. Not being familiar with kits, that hadn't occurred to me.

      Delete
  15. Bravo to the people in New Brunswick! Another good day of MisFits finds. Not much chance we will see the convicted felon put into the back of a police car.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great news out of New Brunswick. I didn't know about that, so thank you for sharing. It's a real pick-me-up! Ah, the arrest of the non-prince on his birthday -- 'twas happy news for my morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't see any victories against the admin including big tech in the media. You have to rely on other information sourced. I got this on Spoutible.

      Delete
  17. Ohhh, slippers. Slippers or something like that is on my list of to makes at some point. I'm wearing a pair of Bombas that were gifted to me. They are like booty slipper things. I dunno. But warm. Even on an ice cold floor. Would like to make something like these. Happy Crafting. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many patterns for slippers, mostly pretty straightforward. It's a small project. In fact I wish I'd cast them on together as I did the scarf ends.

      Delete
  18. My rellies are so mundane that palaces would be out of the question - too obscure for anyone to invite to a networking party.... Your food choices (as ever) are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise the contents of my emails and texts! Snooze worthy. Anyone surveilling them would need help staying awake.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!