Lentil cheese bread.
Red lentils, soaked overnight, two eggs, cheese spread because I had no cottage cheese and it was pretty near in consistency, garlic, onion, oregano, salt pepper etc as here. No mozzarella but extra cheddar.
This is one of those annoying recipes which is reluctant to tell you oven heat and time. I had to search. It's 30 minutes at 350°f.
The dough looked like this
Ready for the oven
Done, hot
Now a nice accompaniment for the last of the chickpea etc stew. I could up the condiments a bit, they were a little piano.
The dough looked like this
Ready for the oven
Done, hot
Now a nice accompaniment for the last of the chickpea etc stew. I could up the condiments a bit, they were a little piano.
I skipped putting oil and parchment paper in the muffin tins, not a good idea. They're supposedly nonstick, but it was tricky getting the muffin things out. Next time I'll do that step.
It's a nice light savory bread, which will work for breakfasts. I'm quite pleased at remembering to soak the lentils last night.
I was listening to an audiobook with QE2 detecting while all this was going on. Not up for much more, because the unremitting cold is definitely causing hibernation mode at the moment.
Reading, online jigsaw puzzles, because of Mary Anne, thinking about art but not making it today, planning what I can cancel this week. I did sweep the downstairs floors. And took out boxes to recycle. Picked up the mail.
And discovered after a good bit of experiments and swapping out of cords, adapters etc that my paper shredder had not after all broken down, nor the Kindle which wouldn't charge.
It was the Kindle which spurred me on to change outlets just in case that was the issue. Bingo, they both work fine plugged into a different wall.
So maybe a circuit popped and I need to check when I get outside. The breaker board is in the outside storage closet, so the extreme cold might have done something to it. Everything else is working fine.
Later diagnosis: I wondered if the GFCI in the next room also governed this outlet. There's little logic to the wiring chez Boud. Checked the GFCI, bingo, it wasn't working. Well it had cut out, so it actually was working to prevent overload. Reset it and the other outlet now works a treat. So my devices do, too
It's possible that Handsome Son will visit tomorrow which will take priority over the knitting group. I have a routine doctor appointment Wednesday, and since I'm perfectly well, I'm thinking of postponing, cold weather, tired, flu season.
Up to now I seem to have ducked the viruses going around, so maybe staying away from places where sick people go might be wise. We'll see.
Meanwhile I'm messaging my senators to remind them we still need pressure to get the ACA subsidies restored. I do have enough energy for that.
Happy day everyone. Being productive is not all it's cracked up to be, sez
Ted and Big Ursy.
FluffIceOutNow points out she sleeps about 18 hours a day, no guilt.










I have never made lentil cheese bread. It sounds healthy and looks great!
ReplyDeleteIt's really nice. Warm from the oven or warmed through is best to revive the flavor.
DeleteI was productive today and it helped. But it doesn’t always. And sometimes it’s juste nice to give in to yourself. That bread (muffins) sound and look delicious. One of these days, you’ll inspire me to do something in the kitchen... other than wash dishes and clean up after meals.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes would like someone to wash dishes and clean up. That's half the project right there.
DeleteI like washing dishes and cleaning up my kitchen.
DeleteI would try making those lentil-cheese muffins but I don't have an immersion blender, alas.
ReplyDeleteYou could use a regular blender. This just happened to be what was in the recipe. Anything that beats the batter smooth.
DeleteOr a hand mixer, come to that.
DeleteWow what a great recipe. Thank you
ReplyDeleteLet us know if you try it, especially if you make a variation on it.
DeleteNo oven heat or time? What kind of cookbook is that anyway?
ReplyDeleteA YouTube video which didn't understand you switch on the oven first, then start making the recipe. Eventually they got around to mentioning it.
DeleteHibernation is an excellent idea considering your weather, and dodging sick people makes a LOT of sense. Flu is rampant here, so we are being super careful, and commend you for doing the same.
ReplyDeleteGFCI circuits can be too clever for their own good. Excellent detecting!
The muffins look delicious! I may have to try them. Thanks for including the time/temp info :-)
Chris from Boise
I appreciate the support. I always feel like a wimp when I cancel, but this appointment was just routine. It seemed like a good health initiative to skip it.
DeleteI was very pleased with the electric detection. And finding that two devices weren't done for after all.
The bread things are very good the next day, lightly toasted. Mine are peppery because of the cheese spread. If I'd had cottage cheese milder probably. I never buy it, so next time maybe yogurt.
That lentil bread looks very successful - wish i had an oven to try it - might bookmark your post for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely need an oven or equivalent even a toaster oven. You can also find the recipe on YouTube , if you mislay it.
DeleteI have given up on trying most things which require the oven, only my tried and true recipes get made these days and even those rarely. Mostly the oven is used in winter for things like casseroles and gingerbread cakes or roasting chickens.
ReplyDeleteGingerbread cake sounds very good. Do you have a recipe that doesn't require golden syrup unobtainable here?
DeleteNo, sorry, both my recipes call for Golden Syrup. I think even ginger cookies has it too. Treacle might work though the cake would be heavier. Another option is to see if you can order in some Golden Syrup from places like Amazon.
DeleteI think staying away from people is a good idea.
ReplyDeleteGlad you found the problem with the electrics. Stay warm
I've ducked most viruses by ducking people and locations where you find sick ones so I think I'll continue. I was happy I tracked down the electric mystery.
DeleteThat looks so good and a tasty change from standard bread.
ReplyDeleteIt's a nice savory breakfast thing, always a good point considering how slow and glum I am in the morning.
DeleteSo many plugs and connectors to choose from.
ReplyDeleteEndlessly entertaining. Or something.
DeleteInteresting recipe. Quite high in protein, I would imagine.
ReplyDeleteI have gone from having nothing planned for the week except for pottery to having three possible reasons to go to town. Well, one only halfway to town. Still, an outing. Although I know it will be good for me, it also brings a little dread to think of it.
It's mainly fear of flu in my case, aside from tiredness from the extreme cold. I'm always so happy to get home and say, well I did it!
DeleteYes, you don't want to catch the flu that I had. I still have a raspy voice and cough sometimes, although, I am almost back to normal (whatever that is)!!
ReplyDeleteWe are having a heat wave in Illinois today - we will have a high of 30° F!! Yay!
That's shorts weather! Yes, it seems like going perfectly well to a doctor's office where sick people are is a bit self defeating.
DeleteI have both a dental appt one town away, and a medical appt at the local hospital this week, and if both weren't necessary I would definitely postpone. I wish I could! So much illness everywhere at the moment, on top of the hazards of snow and ice.
ReplyDeleteThat's tough. I hear you. Will you get rides or borrow a vehicle? I've been intrigued since you moved on from the car you had yo not having a car. My medical appointments are almost all one or more towns away.
DeleteHandsome Son vs. Knitting? I'd take Handsome Son! There's so much to send nastygrams to Congress for, I barely know where to begin.
ReplyDeleteJust start anywhere. But I wouldn't waste energy in the SAVE Act. Word is It's dead on arrival.
DeleteI think I would tend to avoid the medical offices this time of year too - but if you do go, wear a mask and take heavy-duty hand sanitizer (which I'm sure you will).
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have 'creative' wiring in your house, just like we do here. The heaviest 'suckers' of electricity are all on the same circuit which makes NO sense. Woe betide me if I forget and plug in my iron whilst the a/c is on in the summer because it's guaranteed to put more than half of our apartment in the dark.
I think wiring is sometimes done for the convenience of the builders rather than the occupants.
Delete