Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Textiles and Tea, Mouseland, Alaska




Thank you to Ruth for reminding me about Sootypaws, the Maggie Rudy mouse version of Cinderella! I went to her YouTube channel and had a wonderful time in her magical world where she shows us her workshop and practice






 Definitely go there, if you love miniatures and upcycling and thanks again to Ruth. This blog is a group endeavor!

Textiles and Tea yesterday was so moving, this artist being a survivor of domestic violence, which is expressed throughout her current work. Originally a painter, she moved early into expressive weaving, spinning most of her wefts, sometimes dyeing yarns, too.  She is Chicago based, trained at the Art Institute there, stellar credentials.

She uses a floor loom but has also used the kind of cardboard loom I make,too, and seeing her exciting small works rekindled my own need! 

In addition to major commissions like the Delta work hanging in O'Hare airport, and solo exhibits, she leads workshops free of charge to survivors of domestic violence, to find calm and safety, learning to weave in the company of others who understand. 












I really recommend you check her website. She's a brilliant young artist to learn more about.

And fabrics are on my freecycling mind, here's the latest batch, silk, mixes, cotton, towels, in search of a home.


Then for evening viewing pleasure I'm  going to check back into Alaska. I was reminded of this recently and find my library has several seasons


Happy day, everyone, plenty to look at in here today.

Also a puzzle





28 comments:

  1. I had so much fun watching the first few episodes again of Northern Exposure, had forgotten a lot. But not sure how many I will watch. Characters are, perhaps just my feeling, pitted against each other all the time, as if that's the only way to express themselves. Let me know what you think! And of course it's Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested in revisiting, and I'll see if today's me still enjoys it.

      Delete
  2. thank you for exposing me to all these wonderful textile artists. I was trending that way until I stumbled on etched and cast glass which turned out to be the medium I would settle on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy the range of textile artists I'm finding. The hand weavers guild is a great source.

      Delete
  3. I was also a fan of "Northern Exposure" back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I'll still like the same characters and still get irritated with the same ones!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful form of therapy! Creating in such a calming way with others who have been where you have been. Absolutely beautiful.
    I hope you enjoy visiting Cicely as Glen and I are doing. It is a place almost as enchanting as Mouseland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a lovely woman, calm, deliberate speaker, you can see she's battled and overcome. Her talent is stunning. I wonder if the partner was jealous of it. It happens sometimes to women artists.
      We'll see how Alaska goes. I'm looking forward to the moose moseying down the street.

      Delete
  5. Mouseland looks interesting! The weaving is really lovely, such a talent. I used to watch Northern Exposure. I liked it then. I actually got the puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved that series set in Alaska. Such a great cast of characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested in seeing if I still enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. All power to that young woman. I hope she succeeds in all that she attempts (that even the failures be success in the knowledge that they provide her with).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's already a nationally recognized major artist, so I think she'll be okay. She's one of only a handful of fine artists
      in the US whose work supports her financially.

      Delete
  8. Love Bibbs' weaving. I will check out her website. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd appreciate how she handles color.

      Delete
  9. Mouseland looks darling. Thanks for the recommendation. I always loved "Northern Exposure." The characters are beautifully drawn, the issues, solid ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember the issues were not the fluff of the sitcoms of that period, yes.
      I love Maggie Rudy. That little flower I occasionally use to honor Ukraine is her work.

      Delete
  10. You certainly go down rabbit holes and bring us some very exciting and wonderful things too see. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. never heard of Mouseland. Those textile art pieces remind me of slow stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely? She spins the yarn she uses.

      I frequently use a piece of Maggie Rudy art to honor Ukraine, and I've loved her and her mouse imagination for years.

      Delete
  12. I solved it! I love these... and I'll keep my mouth shut this time.

    The works you've shared and Bryana Bibbs’ website are unbelievable. And the purpose is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the puzzle -- well done. On both counts.
      Isn't she a wonderful artist? Packed with meaning and significance. She walks the walk.

      Delete
  13. I love the multi-sensory idea. Got the puzzle! Although I did go down the 'lot' route first before i read the instructions properly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Maggie Rudy's work - how I wish I could see it in person. She has such a fertile imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the lifelike poses. She's such a great observer, knows how to convey a lot of meaning.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!