Monday, January 8, 2024

Better late than never, and other welcome things

After my sister and a friend both died within a couple of days in September 2022, I ordered Dutch snowdrops to plant as a perennial memorial to them both.

Nothing came up in either bed I'd planted. I got a credit from the nursery and a note of regret, and moved on. 

Then this morning I was moving flowerpots around and, scream of joy, saw these


 
A year late, but they finally came through! Snowdrops! So, better late than never, here you go, sister Irene and friend Diane!

Then, while I was thinking about supper possibilities, I noticed an idea online, for chickpea, spinach, carrot soup, with cumin seeds and whole garlic bits, whatever they're called.

I had some mixed leafy greens left, including spinach, a can of chickpeas and loads of baby carrots. So, with Old Bay, salt, black pepper, cumin seeds and caraway seeds, a nice little supper happened. 



And four more helpings, ahead of yet another incoming storm. Storm prep done.

I even got in a walk, this afternoon,  just to try to fend off rust, while it wasn't raining. Tomorrow is cleaners' day and the new knitting group. Weather permitting, that is.

Meanwhile, a few of us may like to read this


says the woman who constantly chronicles her activities, irony abounds.

Happy day everyone, watch out for weather, wouldn't you think we'd manage the weather better,  we've had plenty of warning, but humankind is evidently devoted to the comfort of incompetence. 

But -- there's snowdrops! Happy dance!






26 comments:

  1. Yay for snowdrops!

    You asked on my blog about the temperature. Here, temperature is in Celsius and I will put that in the post. Minus teens in F would not find me out walking either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a sudden afterthought on my part, remembering breathing problems in subzero f. Wisconsin.

      Delete
  2. Well done, resilient little snowdrops!

    Thank you for the reminder that it's OK to just be, at times.

    Off to jury duty tomorrow - a civic duty I'm happy to show up for. Taking bets as to whether I'll be selected for one of twelve; it sounds like there are about 600 of us being called in tomorrow. And knitting needles not allowed :-(

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been called, but never selected, for jury duty. Now I've aged out! It's good to do it if you get the chance. A lot of people try to get out of it, for various reasons, some good.

      I'm over the top happy with the snow drops, flowers coming up to cheer the winter.

      Delete
  3. Oh how wonderful. Snowdrops are coming through.
    Yes I often say I’m a human being. Not a human doing. I can just be and that’s ok
    Stay safe We have lots of rain and flooding in our state. Thankfully we and our families are safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be rain everywhere there's not snow right now. I'm glad you're okay.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful to know the snowdrops are there, to cheer the winter for you, and remember loved ones. Yes to the quote! Good to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for the snowdrops! And I stayed in bed - asleep - for an extra hour today and felt much better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless those little snowdrops. Such a cheerful hope and reminder that even when we cannot see it, life is happening right in front of us.
    "Irony abounds." One of my favorite sayings. It's right up there with "Hysteria ensued."
    Some of us just absolutely do feel that we must be productive in order to feel okay about ourselves.
    Wind here is a little intense this morning. My cat Maurice is NOT happy and cannot settle. Going to be lots of downed limbs. At least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely snow drops! I felt so defeated when they didn't come up last year, on top of bereaved. Much better now.

      Delete
  7. Gotta luv, "The comfort of incompetence."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never thing of snowdrops the same. Whenever I see the same I will say hi to Irene and Diane. I hope you don’t mind. Waiting for the “weather” here today. Throwing a wrench in my plans. Ah well. Anything with chickpeas is fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd be thrilled to be remembered! Thank you. Yes, you're in the storm here, oh well.

      Delete
  9. I guess those snowdrops were just "slow germinators" -- glad they've finally appeared now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that the nursery agreed they were nonstarters. Aha!

      Delete
  10. "devoted to the comfort of incompetence" I will remember this! I remember when you planted the snowdrops, what a joy to have them show themselves. I have had to learn to accept inactivity, it was not easy. I'm so happy when I am able to be busy and productive. When I'm not, I am now ok with that. Most of the time. Good for you, soup made and ready to fill you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thought they weren't going to happen, but they evidently knew what they were doing.

      Delete
  11. We are in for another storm tonight we are tucked in with lots of food and a generator. Your dinner looks and sounds lovely.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you get as much snow as you planned? We have just had a dusting, less than the few inches they predicted. I'm not sure if it's done -- it's awfully cold out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All rain in our forecast, eerily warm, so no ice.

      Delete
  13. Good news about the snowdrops. As for resting on the day off - which day is the day off?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!