Thursday, January 25, 2024

Neighbors, a two way street

I often note the help Gary gives me, and it occurs to me that you may not realize how much this is a two way activity, involving my being roped in to assist with projects, and my stuff traveling next door for various reasons.

Currently at Gary's house:

My outdoor path sweeping brush

My box  cheese grater

My stepladder

My glass container

Another container

All will return eventually.  

Meanwhile, for him I'm Freecycling these


Back in the kitchen, a fast food lunch One can good diced tomatoes, no use using fresh in winter, they're like red plastic, one can cannellini beans, rinsed, egg broken over, baked together 20minutes at 385°f.

Mini naan, soft Indian bread, to make sure all the sauce is accounted for.

Then these cookies, using chickpea flour instead of ap which is why they look golden when baked



caraway seeds on top. This is a Home on the Range old recipe brought up to date. 

I took a few over next door and found myself taking pictures of the free cycle items to organize for him, then pruning the big fig plant that was taking over the living room. Then giving an opinion of possibly framing a painting on canvas.

I brought home a couple of prunings to start in water


and you see them in front of the wash stand, on which is the coleus I brought in in October. I've pruned the top, and I'll propagate for more coleus outdoors this summer.




 Meanwhile, among this headlong rush, The Pant is done, here seen front, tilted to show how it works


and back. A bit of finishing and it's done. It fits a treat, though I'm resisting my local knitting group's pressure to model it -- in a meeting room with glass walls, open to the main library floor, yesh!



Happy day everyone! Raining today, but the bag of freecycled fabric is being picked up anyway this afternoon, probably colliding with the Misfits delivery.

NADM!




33 comments:

  1. I have taken note that your relationship with Gary goes both ways. You are often a plant depository. I tell you what, if you model those at the library I will fly to NJ to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the Great Pant Reveal could be a fundraiser. Or maybe not..

      Delete
  2. Love your pants. And you have such green fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to know if the fig will root in water. I often start plants this way, but this is a first. I'm hugely amused by the Great Pant Caper.

      Delete
  3. I, too, was expecting you to model “the pant.” I'm so disappointed (but it looks great). That lunch looks and sounds delicious, and I think even I could make it! Oh for some chickpea cookies. I might have to try those, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great lunch for people who don't cook much. The cookies are yet another way I'm trying chickpea flour, such healthy cookies. Or something.
      I haven't seen many octogenarian models lately. They're probably getting more fashionable walkers.

      Delete
    2. This is a geezer joke. As a certified geezer, I'm authorized.

      Delete
  4. You have a fine reciprocal relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Gary have a mutually beneficial relationship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! The trick is for neither party to feel imposed on. I'm careful about that when I get help.

      Delete
  6. I often find that after I've gone down the rabbit holes in one of your posts, when I climb back out it's the next day. So: Maggie Rudy for the win! And Bryana Bibbs' work - wow. HH puzzle - got it with a brief look. And for today: The Pant - almost too cute to wear! More plants?!? A friend was successful rooting fig cuttings in water. You and Gary have a healthy symbiotic relationship, and as you say, NADM!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you touch base with every area! You really read this blog, thank you. It's good to know there's a chance the fig cuttings will take.

      Delete
  7. Knitted nickers, like the good ol' days! Comfy looking and joyful! I agree with Chris from Boise, Maggie for the win!
    The plants look very pleased with themselves, they have found the best spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with them. Not hard to knit at all. I have a supply of bamboo/cotton for a lighter pair, now I know this works. This was a test drive.

      Delete
  8. If I had to guess, I'd put my money on Gary being the luckier neighbor. He doesn't bake you delicious things to eat.
    Your newest knitting project is simply the best. You got those things done faster than you could have ordered them online and had them delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about the time, yes, that's true!

      Delete
  9. Probably a good idea not to model them at that location. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also took my octogenarian status to be certifiable, and joked about the level of bliss I experienced at an occupational therapist's task today. I gave it a 7, and you'll have to find where I said what a 10 would be in my post tomorrow. Anyway, so glad you can joke about modeling your lovely new pants. I used to root cuttings of all kinds until my apartment acquired some kind of fungus that attacks everything and kills them, a "white fly fungus." Surprisingly a few plants have survived, but alas, no more new cuttings make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fungus sounds scary. Now I have to be sure and read your post tomorrow!

      Delete
  11. Both you and Gary are fortunate to have one another as neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s lovely how you both help eachother.
    I’m thankful for my wonderful neighbours. Community is so much better when there is help given and returned. If only those ripples we create fan out and who knows we might even achieve world peace

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could model them superman style.... Now to knit the cape. Social interactions are an important part of a quality life (at any age), so it is great to have neighbours with whom you have a two way street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And neighbors are such a matter of luck, too.

      Delete
  14. That wash stand is so beautiful. Don't you love winter cooking? It's so cozy and lovely. I think both you and Gary benefit from your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, winter food is all about comfort. And a warm kitchen is cheerful.

      Delete
  15. Do you make the naan, Liz? If so I'd love to know your recipe and method. There's only one brand of commercially-made naan that I've ever enjoyed, and I can't get it now. Every other brand I've tried has been a disappointment. The answer is "make your own" of course, but I'm so reluctant to waste ingredients that I've held off on taking my usual experimental approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this is from the people who make the pita bread. Atoria.

      Delete
  16. What? You mean you won't be showing us the new pants in situ? Drat!
    It's nice that you and Gary have such a give and take arrangement. A good support for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has similar arrangements with various people. Perpetual motion.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!