Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Good neighbors, good food, Textiles and Tea


Yesterday I looked out to this welcome sight, good neighbor Gary cleaning snow off my car. He stopped by later before he went out, to see if I was okay and did I need anything, and he will start my car today. Meanwhile he endorsed my plan to skip my meeting, roads icy, unless it was vital.  

I made the  promised pasta with puttanesca sauce, blue cheese crumbles on top.






Quite a few meals here, probably the last of the  pasta  will go into a soup. I forget the name of these curly pasta, but they're very good for this sauce.

Later I made a small easy  supper, starch day! Roast potato in a cheese crust, chopped hardboiled egg chucked over.  In the toaster oven.




You're best doing this with parmesan and Yukon gold potatoes. I had sharp cheddar and no name yellow potatoes, worked fine anyway.  Also best cooked in a glass  pan, to preserve the crust.

And Textiles and Tea featured a weaver who, among creating  complex double weave  structures, also upcycles by not only cutting old fabric into narrow strips to reweave, but actually harvesting silk thread from old kimonos to reweave. You'll see two examples of this in the pictures. She also does all kinds of other complicated weaving as you see.  And dyeing.







All these layers were woven in one process, at the same time






See the shuttle, left, holding silk thread? And on the right, a strip of the original kimono edges the new weaving. She does that to honor the original weaver.

I'm definitely impressed by the up cycling aspect of her work, though it's only a small part of her practice. I fancy trying that. Of course! 

And I finally bought one of my all-time favorite novels, hilariously funny, great characters, The Reluctant Widow, by Georgette Heyer. 


Disregard the corny illustration, they always play up the romance which is almost the least of it in Heyer's comedies of manners.

I've worn out a couple of paperback versions, and the type is a bit small, so I kindled it, despite its never going on sale. Pushing the boat out here!  But on days where plans about going out are foiled by ice, a great read. It's so funny I have to put it down to laugh here and there.

And are you up for a puzzle?


Happy day, everyone,  puzzle and keep warm in the northern hemisphere, dry in the southern.



42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She's very interested in weaving patterns more than color, though her color is great.

      Delete
  2. so nice of Gary to clear the snow off your car and start it for you. and Janney Simpson does some lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good guy. I hope he can get it started. I did it a couple of days ago.

      Delete
  3. Oh, potatoes! Is there a bad way to cook them? I think not.
    Hurray for Gary!
    I remember when I found Georgette Heyer in the library in high school. I wonder if I've read that particular book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her regency novels, great research into that world. I'm not such a fan of her modern detective mysteries.

      Delete
  4. She does gorgeous work. Gary is a good guy and glad you stayed home. I do like puttanesca sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you approve of the sauce! I can't remember the name of that corkscrew pasta, can you?

      Delete
    2. Tortellini. You're channeling Quinn. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of using silk to reweave from Kimonos. I think I have half of the puzzle already. But half of something is...you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That puzzle's too easy! I've never read Georgette Heyer - but don't get me started on her now! And you've got to love anything with potatoes and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should definitely start with Heyer! I agree on potatoes and cheese, especially cheese that crackles.

      Delete
  7. Good neighbor Gary is a prince. And your sauce and your potato dish look terrific. Yukon Golds are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect these no name rescued yellow potatoes are Yukon gold, but there might be technical reasons why they're not labeled that way -- imperfections, you know.

      Delete
  8. I'm flying high - the puzzle answer sprang into my mind as soon as I read it.

    I added "tortellini" to your earlier comment, but as I take another look at your yummy pasta puttanesca it may be me that's channeling Quinn. Is it elbow macaroni?

    Yay Gary once again! Good advice to let the roads clear before attempting to go anywhere. We're staying close to home too, and I have (alas) started another jigsaw puzzle. Unlike you, I find it extremely difficult to walk away from, so have to choose my puzzle timing well. A couple of no-outside-commitments days plus icy roads - now's the time.

    Janney Simpson's work is stunning. I can't appreciate the technicalities of double weaving, but the results - oh my! Plus the upcycling - what a good idea on so many levels.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cavatappi. I had forgotten but looked it up again.

      With me, there's little danger of staying with a puzzle for longer than a few minutes, because my neck tells me when I'm done! Looking down, you know. But it suits me anyway.

      You and Liz were both onto the word puzzle fast. Clues, too!

      Delete
    2. Had to go look up cavatappi - a new word!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. She doesn't claim to be a colorist, but she's very good.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally deleted another comment from Mitchell, sorry! He commented that the weaving is magnificent. Agreed! I'll try to post this without deleting, gah.

      Delete
  11. Thought you might appreciate this pasta cartoon: https://condenaststore.com/featured/fusilli-you-crazy-bastard-how-are-you-charles-barsotti.html
    Greetings from cold and wet Switzerland
    a

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your potatoes looks so crispy and delicious
    So does your pasta. I’m cutting back on carbs. I’ve been on a bit of a carb bender
    And my clothes are getting tighter. Not that I care. But any extra weight, even a tiny bit, make the pain worse.
    Love the weaving. I’m really really tempted to start learning to weave.
    I don’t need another hobby lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that you and Ana might eventually do a bit of weaving on a pot holder loom!

      Delete
  13. The food dishes looked delicious, Boud, and anything that involves pasta, cheese, potatoes is good with me just not all together. You have a very nice friend in gary that's for sure. Luckily we did not have to clear off our cars after the 3-inch snowfall here yesterday. We pay to park in the garage. The expense is worth not having to go out at 7:30 am to move for lot clearing. The scarves are beautiful and loved all the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My car won't start. I tried, no luck. I can't get the hood up to use my jumper. Gary's hoping to get to it tomorrow.

      Delete
  14. The only thing I would add to that potato dish would be bacon.
    I have been tempted to buy some recycled sari silks for weaving. The Kimono silks are gorgeous.
    The answer to the puzzle flew into my brain. Must be the day for it.
    I loved Georgette Heyer as a teenager. I had so many of her books. I must revisit and see how they change with a mature perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyer is very funny still, to me. I have sari roving, basically collected from under the silk looms, which I spin. So I guess that's a form of recycling.

      Delete
  15. Little things can make the result look like a million dollars. Simpson resleyed her reed in colored groupings from her initial stripes to make that wonderful back of the shawl, still in plain weave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd know the technicalities of what she'd done, thank you.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful makings Nd colors. Lots of inspiration and your food looks interesting. enjoy your book. Did the card ever appear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the mailbox yet. It's a block away, and there's ice and severe cold. Soon.

      Delete
  17. The waving is fabulous and the colours so rich. That shawl where two lots of warp come together to make the patterned corner had me wobbling my head trying to imagine how you do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed video at that point! She's so inventive.

      Delete
  18. Even though not always to my taste, you do cook and eat well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The food looks good and the textiles are beautiful and good neighbors are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of those three, hard to choose! But I think good neighbors are best.

      Delete
  20. Not sure which I'd like better - the pasta or the potatoes. Both are favourites.
    Beautiful weavings once again and I do like the recycling aspect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!