Thursday, January 4, 2024

Weaving, whither? Freecycle, Textiles and Tea, Misfits, it's all go..

 I finally located the fabric that is probably going to be a skirt, and the woven panels which turn out not really to play nicely with the fabric. Dang. So they'll be something else, once I decide what. 



Meanwhile I can trim and knot the fringes, no matter what the eventual product.

My viewing Wednesday of Charing Cross Road was repeatedly  interrupted by sudden desperate needs by Gary which ended in my  taking two large artwork things, reproductions, but oh well, to free cycle, to hear his  despair at the breakdown of communication about free cycling the dracaena, I should have known, and to discuss home safety and how I don't let freecyclers into the house, and how these items are available because he's changing his colors, his phrase.

Here are the two pieces, both now spoken for


Finally I got to watch the movie. 

I think Gary hasn't grasped the number of tasks it takes to free cycle. It looks easy when someone else is doing it. You take a picture, wrestle endlessly with the hinky website which mostly declines to work with you. If the picture won't load, after multiple tries and workarounds,  I offer to send an email with it, in the body of the text I  compose. You have to describe etc. 

Then you cope with people who don't read what you said, ask a series of questions instead of expressing interest with day and time, or send a phone number wanting a  texted image. Duh. There's a reason I said email. My phone doesn't transmit nor receive images, just text.  Even people looking at a picture with indicators of size, numbers even, will ask size.

Finally you get a commitment, not always, and check the weather, to decide how to wrap the item.  Then set it out in good time. Then say:  what I go through for Gaia, keeping good things out of the landfill and increasing the sum of  human happiness, between people happily shedding and people happily receiving. It's a Good Thing. Just not a Simple Thing.

Because of the events of Tuesday, I missed Textiles and Tea but rounded up a few images of the guest's work, interesting ideas there, and you can check her website.









Today my friend Giorgio brought my Misfits box. Nice kid, waves, speaks, very personable, always puts the box far enough from the door to let me open it.  The door, not the box.




Small order this week because of all the chili and shrimp pasta and chicken soup around the place. I have been living, at least eating, large.

Oh, did I mention the good news from the funeral home? Lauren, my Personal Director, called to say she's figured out how to process my check, and redirect it to the right account, and I need do nothing, yay. Which was pretty much what I'd thought she could do all along, but I'd refrained from mentioning in case there were laws about it. They have a lot of regulations to follow. So it seems, knock coffin, that I'm set. 

I have been coughing though. It's not the cough that carries you off. It's the coffin they carry you off in. Couldn't resist.


Anyway after all this I feel this way


Happy day,  everyone, get some time alone if you can, it's good. If you can't, then  grumble loudly about it. Come to think of it, you might then find yourself mysteriously alone..






35 comments:

  1. After a busy day I’m finally alone. And I love it.
    I used to be on a free cycle group and oh my. Some people are very painful indeed.
    Kinda why I left. Enjoy the solitude while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind free cycle really. I just like to grumble sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I'm not coffin with laughter at your little joke.
    I've never freecycled anything. It is enough bother to sell something and make a profit, let alone give it away, although if god things are put in our building's rubbish recycling room, they will disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've received some great stuff via free cycle, so it goes both ways. So I don't mind giving.

      Delete
  3. Free cycle or just plain recycle, if it keeps it out of the landfill it’s a winner in my book, and maybe along the way people develop a conscience about trash. We can only hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a couple of people I've converted to freecycle rather than just throwing things away. And I up cycle all the time. We just don't have an "away" to throw things, small planet, lot of stuff. Yes, it's worth the effort. I just enjoy grumbling now and then.

      Delete
  4. Yes, one doesn't think of the effort that goes into some seemingly menial tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing at coffin jokes. Somehow I think that's pretty healthy...in my jaded way perhaps. Since I cough a lot, must consider how to use the idea. Drat it all that freecycling is so difficult. Love the multimedia concept and will go look at her site now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free cycling involves people, so there will always be hitches. But it's still rewarding.

      Delete
  6. Knock coffin. That just might catch on! I’m off for a day at the museums now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your day! I hope we'll hear about it.

      Delete
  7. Your dedication to freecycling is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I am very ready for some time alone but it's not going to happen for at least a little while.
    Is there anyway to tell these men in your life who depend upon you to freecycle their things that really, you do actually have other things to do? This is sort of getting out of hand. Either that or start charging by the piece?
    Ha! I know you won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to suspend free cycling for a few days, because of the storm coming in. We've been taking advantage of sunny dry days. But you're right -- I need to speak up.

      Delete
  9. there's a freecycle group in my area but it's not active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not have a big enough local population to keep it active. It tends to be self sustaining with enough people.

      Delete
  10. I really needed some humor, thanks for the chuckles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had a laugh, thanks! Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those textiles.

    I always suspect that a lot of people responding to Freecycle are trying to harvest phone numbers for future text spamming (or other purposes). That's why they always ask inane two-word questions like "still available?" and then don't respond again. I always insist on communicating only through the site, which avoids exposing phone numbers but is indeed cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that possibility. But anyway I mostly only stay on the site. The revamped local site now lets you check how long a person has been a member, useful. Older members are easy to deal with.

      Delete
  13. There are lots of things that I find a little distasteful about many of the people who 'claim' things on Freecycle, and the amount of time some of them feel entitled to waste. We have found a charity shop of the old fashioned kind locally, one that takes virtually anything. They monetize through recycling as much as they can of what cannot be sold (metal, cloth, electronics etc) and are a great place to pick up cheaply basic household items that many charity shops won't trade in these days as there simply isn't enough money in turning them over or having them take up space in costly retail premises. The charity raises money to support 'trafficked' women and get them out of slavery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great shop and a great cause.

      Delete
  14. I value alone time! Hubby doesn’t venture far on his own. Love that owl photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think particularly if you've had a people-filled job with many demands, you value it particularly.

      Delete
  15. Hooray for getting the funeral sorted. Now kick up those heels.
    I love alone time. I think I could have been a hermit. As long as someone brought me food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that I can see. But as you say, hermits need door dash.

      Delete
  16. Love the little alone owl. Freecycling is good, especially for the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's nice, and I felt like peering out like that and ducking down if anyone appeared wanting something!

      Delete
  17. And THAT is why I tend to either put it on the curb or donate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take my grumbling too seriously! I love the activity of free cycle. We don't have a curb to put things on, and the nearest thriftie is too far for me to drive in winter. And this current batch is all gone happily!

      Delete
  18. Freecycle does sound like a lot of work but the benefits are great when you think of it in terms of helping the environment. I miss being about to put things out at the curb (apartment management frowns on it) so we mostly take things to a good thrift store here. They take pretty much everything including broken electronics and even old pots and pans (they recycle them somehow).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, I love this kind of thoughtful action. I actually enjoy the process of free cycling, even when people do weird stuff, it's entertaining as well as a Good Deed for Gaia.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!