Monday, January 15, 2024

Martin Luther King Day

Today honors the civil rights and anti Vietnam war figure

He came out for civil rights and against the Vietnam war, both unpopular positions at the time, but he stood fast.

It's a national holiday and our local library, under its first director, used to stay open anyway, because the library stands for universal literacy and equal access. This seemed appropriate, to stay open on a day a lot of people would be free to come in. That principle has given way to the holiday aspect since the pandemic, a loss, I think.

Meanwhile it's a day of service and my part will be more sock knitting for the Sock and Glove Ministry.

When I worked in a nonprofit organization, we dreaded local corporate executives' being given a day for service! It meant an increase in our already heavy workload, trying to devise single day projects that could be undertaken safely by untrained well-meaning folk, then supervising them.

They wanted to do things like lead support groups, and were taken aback when we couldn't turn over any existing groups, confidential and run by highly qualified professionals. 

Or they wanted to paint and renovate, meaning expecting us to provide walls, paint, ladders, brushes, rollers, etc. And negotiate with the staff whose contracted job it was.  

Or they wanted to do childcare in the nursery, and didn't have the police background check we all needed before we set foot in any building with children's programs. 

It was all such a good idea on paper.  And it was an eye opener to them to find that our professional staff had at least two degrees each. We did try to accommodate them with tasks that worked out, but it was a bit aspirational as an idea. We did get a group one year to sort and organize the craft room, which was a win-win, everybody happy, no harm done, no insurance issues.

Back to now, here's the weaving, fringes knotted and trimmed, ready to become a combo cowl/scarf.




see how I'll stitch it with the opening you see to go over my head, and the long end to throw over the top. I can wear this different ways. The knotting took the length of two audio books, slow and unexciting work.

Happy day, everyone, keep warm, or cool, or dry,  or hold onto your hat, whichever applies.




Photo AC


38 comments:

  1. Interesting story about the corporate executives trying to do a day of service. Yes- sounds good on paper. However...
    Your scarf/cowl is lovely and looks warm. As always, you have done an amazing job. I would never have the patience to do that much fringe work but it sure does make the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the corporate world involves being given tasks to execute, rather than creating them as in the nonprofit.
      The finishing does improve the weaving, too bad it's tedious.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised I couldn't just walk in as a volunteer, many years ago...in some non-profit setting on a holiday. I worked as a counselor in nursing homes and assisted livings...so did have some creds, but not for them. Yep, given some mundane task. Love your decision to make the weaving into a scarf set up...it will look lovely and of course feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to realize the structure of work in an org you don't work in, and the insurance considerations about responsibility, too!
      I'm hopeful that the scarf cowl idea will work.

      Delete
  3. One year when the kids were in middle school we decided to volunteer at the free Thanksgiving dinner that I forget who sponsored. anyway, they had more volunteers than things to do so we left after a short while.

    very inventive scarf/cowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, special events like serving Thanksgiving dinners need fewer people at the serving hatch and for cleanup than the good hearted people who show up. It was a very nice initiative to show your kids, all the same.

      Delete
  4. It was good for those men, I'm sure they were men, to realize step in and take over. I also would not have the patience for the knotting. It's going to be so soft and warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the vols were women, since I worked in a women's organization. I expect male executives presented other orgs with requests, too.
      The knotting was the finishing of weeks of weaving, not surprising it took so long, because I was not sure what would happen with the fabric, so I left all the finishing till I knew.

      Delete
  5. I had similar issues when we had library volunteers. It took so much management to train and supervise them that it was easier for me to just do the work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking of Dr. King today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a short life and such a powerful impact.

      Delete
  7. It was heartening to read, Boud, that your local library formerly stayed open on this day when people might be ore likely to visit. While I admire the values and principles that Mr. King embraced, somehow a holiday doesn't seem to make people fully appreciate his achievements more. Your day of service knitting sounds far more productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, programs about his work and purposes can be more valuable than a holiday.

      Delete
  8. You're so right about volunteers. You have to have a program ready for people to participate and a lot of times the higher level people just don't want to do the things like slap labels on mass mailings or the kinds of things that don't require a lot of training and/or background checks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cry was we want to do something significant!

      Delete
  9. Knotting looking great. I hear you about corporate volunteer service days. We tend to get involved in places where we can maintain the garden (no harm done to residents), or a big day once a year sorting donated clothes at a charity for the homeless. They must save stuff up for that one. Mostly however the volunteer work is an ongoing project to collect food donations for a homeless charity; or knitting hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think ongoing is a good model. That's why I value my place in the Knitting Ministry.

      Delete
  10. Your description of corporate volunteer expectations made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I know someone here who would love a cowl scarf. He wears a knit cowl of sorts once the temps drop below 60, and he only has one.

    It's hard to believe Martin Luther King has been gone so many years. What a different world it was. What a different world it still needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cowls are a favorite with me, stay put in the wind, and I can avoid a hat for longer.

      My son was a baby when MLK died. So long ago yet yesterday.

      Delete
  12. A beautiful job on the cowl/scarf, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors in that scarf! Well done!
    Around here many people volunteer with food pantries. I hope they are able to be helpful and not a hindrance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think they're very welcome. They're doing the hands on, none of it very technical, not trying to run the place for a day!

      Delete
  14. Ohhhhh I really do love that scarf. It’s going to look so pretty when you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the corporate big shots were a bit humbled when they realised they weren't all they thought they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did tend to be surprised at the very few levels in the nonprofit. Delegation is practically unknown.

      Delete
  16. Looking forward to a selfie when the cowl gets into play.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've often thought that the true meaning of many 'holidays' is lost on most people. I think it would be far better if public areas such as libraries (and schools) would devote the day to displays that would be educational rather than having people simply saying 'yippee, I don't have to work and can do what I like' with absolutely no thought as to the reason for the day off in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Like Labor Day, how many people know and care that the value of work and workers is celebrated then? Getting the day off doesn't convey it.

      Delete
  18. Martin Luther King, Jr was a giant among men and an orator without equal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!