Wednesday, January 3, 2024

New friends, new recipe

Yesterday's knitting group was fun. The library hadn't set up a leader, just a room, table of reference books and a visit or two to see how it was going.  

Four people, none of whom had met before, one a complete beginner, who learned to make her first knitted row, which I promptly commemorated with a picture. 


Third participant was self taught and well into a lace baby blanket. The fourth participant used to knit, crochet, embroider, and had forgotten how, so long. But in no time she got back her knitting mojo and was very happy.

For the total beginner, I cast on some stitches for her, another person guided her through knitting a few rows.  Then she unraveled, learned to cast on, and undertook to knit a square to show us next week! 

So I learned a new to me cast-on, and with any luck, we'll continue. The library had only set up for the month of January, so I expect they're looking to see if it gets established enough to continue. If they're not assigning staff time, it's easier for their schedule, though the other participants did ask for a group leader to teach new members. We did okay without one for that session. We'll see.

Then home to a New Year visit from Handsome Son, bringing shortbread, to complete the New Year rituals. With a pot of tea, and the walnut/cheese square things I'd baked, we were all set. We always talk about many things, politics, the economy, his current electronic DIY project, the latest shenanigans of our various neighbors, food, it's all good. 

After he'd left, I wondered what to have for dinner, remembered the shrimp in the freezer, and ended up with shrimp, penne, cauliflower all baked in a cheese sauce. Plenty of black pepper.


Paprika on top, beautiful color

It turned out very rich, and worked quite well. I wonder if it's one of those recipes I think I invented, but which turns out to be some classic pasta vol au vent crevettes fromage turducken or something. Anyway if it has a name, please let us know.

Meanwhile, today I'm returning to the skirt with possibly woven panel inserts, though the woven sections may end up being something different, we'll see.  I'll unearth the skirt fabric and see. You know how some people like to choose a word or phrase of the year as a kind of mantra? I think either "we'll see" or NADM  will be mine.

And here's someone who knows how to enjoy her knitting adventures. Get that cable panel! The fringes! This is one of those "knit stripes to record a year of weather temperatures" projects. 


Happy  day, everyone, safe travels to the people traveling.

Better days ahead for people suffering in war zones




43 comments:

  1. Good mentoring by you and others in the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad the new knitting group is off to a good start. and the temperature scarf is probably long enough to wrap her whole body in. I know a woman who has crocheted a couple of temperature blankets and they are huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a lot of different colors, too. It's a big project.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the new knitting group might turn into something pretty sweet. And yes- I did notice the magnificence of that scarf with the cable panel and so forth. It's gorgeous! As is your cheesy shrimp and cauliflower casserole. I would definitely eat that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I'm hopeful about the new group. And the new dish is pretty nice. Very filling!

      Delete
  4. Well, your knitting group sounds promising! I love the fringe on that colorful scarf. Blogger "Bug" (Dana in North Carolina) makes temperature blankets that are similar, as maybe you've seen. The cauliflower dish looks yummy, but you can leave the turducken out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a blogger I don't think I know. Must check.

      Delete
  5. I think the name of that dish is YUM! I do hope this new group continues, it's good to have another group of pleasant, like-minded people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This group seems like a lot of fun. Ohhh and that casserole looks so good. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May that new knitting group prosper. Sounds like a nice mix of abilities and ages. I've just learned of a knitting group at our library branch - now all I have to do is liberate Wednesday afternoons.

    Anything with cauliflower in it is a great dish, IMHO. With paprika!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to get to that group! They vary, but when they're good, they're very good. This dish is for me a new way for cauliflower.

      Delete
  8. Mary G on the iPad,... I am signing in because the dratted thing does not seem to know it's me. Our library has a knitting group. I likemyour report and my venture to see what our group,is like. I have so many ends of wool left from past projects that a multicoloured scarf is a brilliant idea. And, wow, would I be brilliant; the grandkid loved purple for many knit projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try the group. Maybe you'll enjoy it. Worth a try!

      Delete
  9. I did a similar cheesy pasta dish last night...having some thin sliced london broil to either - you know...so it turned into Havarti, beef chips and peas with noodles casserole. The left overs do look promising too. I'm pretty sure this never has been done before, and therfore is nameless! I would have loved a bite of your shrimpy one too! Glad to hear first knitting group turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious! Probably the most luscious dish I ever make is cauliflower baked in cream and gruyere. I don't make it often, because the ingredients, though few, are a bit spendy. But it is just SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. NADM? I had to Google. It probably isn't North American Drought Monitor, more likely to be Never A Dull Moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had footnoted it in an earlier post you probably missed, with all your gadding about! Your second guess is right.

      Delete
  12. The new group sounds like fun. I hope it continues!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A new group with lots of possibilities
    Your dinner looks very nice indeed.
    Here’s to a year of new adventures

    ReplyDelete
  14. In all of the several craft circles I've been in, there never was a teacher/leader. We taught each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These groups are largely social, with no focus on teaching. A bit of learning happens but that's not the focus. I've always been in groups with leaders, very important when people get free lessons, before vanishing forever or try to dump off elders for daycare, both of which I've seen, both tackled by the leader, an employee of the organization hosting the group. Since they're in public buildings, this is a vital safety issue, too.

      Delete
  15. A new group will lack the cliques that often develop. How lovely that there was such diverse experience. Could you not be the leader? Or does it have to be someone from the library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no interest in being the leader! Btdt! they need official authority if troubleshooting is needed, so, yes, an employee.

      I've never been in a group that meets in a private home. I expect they run quite differently, since you wouldn't get casual droppers in,or people taking advantage.

      I thought this initial meeting went fine, so I'm content to see how it unfolds.

      Delete
  16. Your knitting group sounds like fun. What a lucky beginner to have the rest of you to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not usual that someone comes to a knitters social group who can't knit, but she got lucky.

      Delete
  17. Some groups can survive without a designated leader if there is someone on the outside doing the admin (arranging place, time, and lock-up afterwards). What do you think was more important on the day, the knitting or the chat? That might determine the extent to which it survives or even grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new connection between people was the point. The knitting and skill sharing is what supports it. That and the library promoting it.

      Delete
  18. Pretty good turnout for a first-time group! Hopefully, word will spread and the group will establish a firm foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This often happens with a first meeting. Then, unless there's a continuing presence of a leader, it can fade away. People often don't come back for a couple of weeks, then find there's no group! This is an area with a comparatively small population. It takes a lot of doing to establish a group.

      Delete
  19. I think it's a great turnout for there to be 4 there. Now it's to be hoped they all continue and that the word spreads and entices compatible joinees.
    I think if I were doing a temperature scarf I would do the average temperature for a week rather than daily because obviously it makes it huge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought similarly, a weekly average could still yield a big enough scarf. And need fewer colors.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!