Saturday, January 27, 2024

Knitters ahoy, needles or not

Yesterday's knitting group yielded this enterprising work -- I- cord knitted without needles, on fingers. R is self taught, his current crochet in the background, needle free knitting in front. 

He was away with friends last weekend,  they wanted to try his crochet hooks, leaving him temporarily without, so he also figured out crochet without a hook.

he's unstoppable!

And here's the cross stitch wall hanging coming along. It's really lovely to see in person.


And Sandy has finished a Valentine's day sweater, intarsia and embroidery



there were other pieces, which you've seen before. Chat ranged over dpns and modern advances on them, Uber and how it's pretty good around here, not long waits, batteries, stopped clocks and County admin (!),  alcohol, courier stories and weather.  Always an interesting time.

One of the courier stories was mine. A courier/livery/errand small business I was consulting with to help get it organized after a successful launch, occasionally had snags where a courier was needed in two directions at once, time-bound legal documents often. That was part of what needed organizing. 

On this occasion, a package  needed to get urgently to a bank on my way home, so I sent the courier on the other delivery, and rescued the dilemma by taking the bank package  myself. 

I announced myself and requested that the bank officer be alerted to come sign and accept the  documents. She came down, looked around the bank floor, then turned to me and said indignantly "I was interrupted to come sign for a couriered package! There's nobody here! Do you see any courier?"  I offered her the package, and the signature sheet, and she still  insisted I couldn't be the courier. Showed her my business card and title, and she conceded. 

I think her fixed notion of a courier was a young male college student, because often they were. Or something.

Happy day everyone, from the lady with two knitting groups and no courier cred.




28 comments:

  1. What lovely projects people are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember spool knitting as a child. We would make our own devices with spools and little tacking nails. We never did a thing with those snakes of our work, mainly because we never stuck to the projects long enough to have accomplished more than what would make a doll rug. But I do remember the thrill of the possibility.
    It's so funny and so human that the woman who came to sign for the documents absolutely could not "see" a courier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember we had such ambition with that French knitting, using cotton reels and nails! Rugs! Placemats! Which didn't happen.

      The bank official typified narrow minded bank officials!

      Delete
  3. This is a new one to me, I've not heard of knitting with fingers. I seem to always learn something here! You were the upscale courier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of Maori finger weaving, ancient technique. There's arm knitting, too, making big projects. Now you know!

      Delete
  4. Sue is eyeing a crochet project but wondering if her sore hand can manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say that women showed a certain inflexibility of thinking -- not uncommon in bankers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how so many people have such pre-conceived notions as to what a person such as a courier should look like. Some would go so far as to call it sexism. Your knitting group looks (and sounds) like such a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was sexist, too. Also classist: a well-presented businesswoman couldn't be a courier!

      Delete
  7. Ah, your invisible courier hat just fooled her! Loved the sign off today, two knitting groups and no courier cred. But you could just keep trying different invisible hats and see who else you could fool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a wealthy sales exec neighbor in Santa Barbara who retired while his wife still worked and then he was bored. He simply wanted something to do, so he signed on as acourier for a local company and had a grand old time. Wouldn't that bank officer have been surprised! Your group looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'd have been floored! I now have two knitting groups, both fun. Yay me.

      Delete
  9. Strange to insist that you couldn't be the courier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legal dox, anxiety about chain of delivery, probably.

      Delete
  10. I like your hand knitting. And the courier story is a great one! Ah, preconceived perceptions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the "old" knitting group? Trying to keep them straight. What a wide-ranging conversation; sounds like a delightful afternoon. I had to look up dpns. Presumably the driving was fine?

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Friday group I've been in since it started, the Tuesday one is new, met twice. We have wet weather, temps in the fifties f. No ice! Snow gone.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful work coming out of the knitting group! And interesting conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the women in my exercise class produced a 'rug' she had made by arm knitting. A little on the loose side for me but at a distance is looked very thick and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them made with roving. I wonder how durable the fiber is with no twist.

      Delete
  14. You'd think the package and sign-sheet would have convinced her. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you consider the chain of handling, she was under some pressure to establish that it was intact, the right package and untampered with to that point. Legal documents. So it was understandable when confronted with what she thought was an unlikely stranger rather than the students she knew.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!