Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Knitters, hake, and Hercules

Yesterday was hake for lunch, with big capers scattered around, and steamed broccoli with blue cheese crumbles. Hake is a nice friendly whitefish, not too expensive, that you can add sauces, or here capers, without clashing, because it's a neutral flavor. This week's package made three meals. I love cod, but there wasn't any this week, and halibut, which never fits into my budget. 

It got up my brainpower to go to the Tuesday Knitting Group, where lovely things are happening, as you see.


Here M is showing her top down short sleeved cardi, which she dyed using an acid dye which she'll tell me about next week. This color is wonderful. She's very interesting -- a spinner! Using spindle and wheel. And she's done natural dyeing as well as this acid dye.  It's so cool to be in the company of someone who spins. Not many of them around here.


Here's S's baby blanket, which is a lacy pattern. She says she's a beginner, but I think she's far beyond. She's interested in having another project to turn to, so is thinking of trying socks, and took pictures of my simple sock pattern. 


And here are G's amigurumi pug dogs,  which will look puggier when she uses that brown yarn in the background for ears. She'll make the noses from felt.

Good news -- they've extended the group through February. I think they're going a bit at a time, to see if it holds up. It's a friendly group, so if there's a chance of one where you live, I'd really give it a try. Everyone feels timid at first, until they meet.

Once home, Handsome Son visited, polished off the last of those caraway cookies and the walnut chocolate cake, discussed his latest electronic DIY build, full of terms unknown to me, whether Malinowski might run for governor, batteries, car insurance which is going up 28%, shock, horror, and other interesting probably male-oriented subjects.

And my trusty jar opener, without which olives and capers are the impossible dream, finally collapsed and here's its replacement


Complete with a rather clinical set of graphics inscribed into the pad to explain how to use the opener, and what the counter pad does when it's not stored in the blade area.


It's Oxo, which has served me well with other small appliances helpful to my creaky old hands.

Speaking of strength


Happy day everyone, maybe there's an appliance to insert pills into cats?






35 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that the Tuesday Knitting Group is continuing on and finding its audience! Nice work is being done there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you but I have noted recently that they are making jar lids harder and harder to get off! Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I need to get a jar opener like yours. I have a nice little gadget that pops the seal of many jars but not all.
    If that baby blanket lady is a beginner, she was born with a natural and perhaps preternatural ability. The color of that cardigan is indeed wonderful.
    Love the eternal struggle of Hercules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also counters are getting higher! I can't reach things I used to..
      This group is attracting talented people.

      Delete
  3. I'm always thrilled to see new fiber craftswomen working in new/old ways! That tool to open things looks pretty intricate to me, glad it has instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like my old one. Just slide onto the lid, turn.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    My late mother was a 'from fleece to finished' lady. She even sheered the sheep when she was younger. If you followed your nose at my place, you will have discovered that it was some of her dark Merino (still quite heavy with lanolin) that I incorporated in the shawl-poncho you spotted. The dying is a whole other skill - and your friend's jade colour is fabulous! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the history -- she was talented. I've done fleece to finished item, but I haven't sheared the sheep! Dyeing is a great adventure. I've done mainly natural dyeing, more muted colors.

      Delete
  5. You've caused m to remember how we used to order halibut fish and chips. Probably more than 20 years ago, it became either too expensive or wasn't on offer at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's harder to find now, and I think that might account for the price. Not realistic for fish and chips.

      Delete
  6. The sweater color is spectacular! I love vibrant color. I hope your group holds together. I have had hake once, something I had not heard of until then. It is mild. I pass on halibut, too. Yikes! I recently went through the trials of Hercules with Frieda. The struggle is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frieda would probably find these sculptures very accurate! Yes, I'm hopeful for the group to continue.

      Delete
  7. There is indeed a tool for getting pills into cats but its efficacy depends on the cat and the operator of the tool. You still have to hold the cat down. I have seen that before but it still makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a pipe thing for blowing a pill down a horse's throat. As long as she doesn't exhale it back into the operator's throat, which can happen.

      Delete
  8. Knitting group sounds wonderful... I have the needles in my hands right now :-))
    Today I had mashed potatoes, spinach and redfish.
    Your can opener looks exciting... I have a very old one that serves me faithfully.
    A creative greeting to you. Have fun knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a jar opener, to get caps off glass jars, invaluable to me, because my grip isn't strong.
      I don't think I've had redfish, or seen it. Must check.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work done in the knitting group! And an opportunity for conversation! Beat of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are so modest about their work, and it's lovely.

      Delete
  10. LOL, Hercules, the cat, and the pill! We love OXO in our house. I had never had hake until moving to Spain. It's called Merluza here. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was the word for cod? But my Spanish doesn't extend much beyond introducing myself, so I'm hardly an expert.

      Delete
    2. So I looked it up and found merluzza is Italian for cod. And that hake and cod are related. It's all very confusing. At least I'm clearly confused.

      Delete
    3. AND... the Spanish word for cod is bacalao.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I remember a pop song with bacalao in it!

      Delete
  11. I’m so happy you found a nice group. I was lucky to find a lovely group although I’ve not been going much. I’ve heard some horror stories.
    I’ve bought a thingamaboob to help open jars.
    It’s obviously a sign of your journey down lifes highway letting you know exactly where you are lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've heard unhappy knitting group stories, but I think they're more likely to be yarn store related than library related. Nobody's a customer at the library. And you do you, no pressure to buy anything.
      I often wonder where I am. Particularly why I went from one room to another in search of something I forgot what.

      Delete
  12. Ah, I haven't seen a jar opener with a base plate before. That's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am starting a craft group next week. Fingers crossed it will be as successful as yours.
    Oxo is a great brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy your group. Such a lot depends on the balance of the people as a group.

      Delete
  14. Glad the knitters will carry on another month. The device for getting a pill into a cat is my sister. Head up, mouth opened (and throat), down the hatch. Also a vet, when sister is unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting it in is part one. I've pilled plenty of cats, seen the pill down, stroked the throat to be sure he swallowed, all done. Then found the pill a while later on the rug. Once behind the sofa..

      Delete
  15. Your dinner looks just terrific. Hmmm. That opener is interesting. More than once I've had real trouble opening things. Maybe that would be just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We haven't purchased one of those jar openers (yet) and rely on my homemade version that RC swears by. Did I send you one of those? If not, I will!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did, and I don't have the hand strength for opening jars with it. However, it's a vital non-slip mat for my teapot on the favorite tin tray. So it's in daily use. An off label application!

      Delete
    2. That's right - I remember you repurposing it 'neath your teapot. Momentarily brain freeze there.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!