Thursday, March 24, 2022

Say cheese!

So this morning, as I might have guessed, I'm knee-deep in cooking activities, stuff in the oven that I'm timing, milk coming to the boil on top, when Gary shows up, tools ready, to tackle the toilet.

Luckily he got a phone call which kept him long enough to let me finish the activities so I was free to help or watch, as the case may be.


But this is what I was up to before his arrival.

I thought rather than order Misfits dairy, I'd make my own as I used to.  Yogurt, cheese, why not butter? Making your own means you have just the amount you need. So I sent away for butter powder, from the place I buy my milk powder.

Meanwhile, cream cheese, aka paneer.

Here's what you need



Bring the milk almost to boiling like here, right after this picture it rose up and I turned off the heat.

Then pour in lemon juice to sour it and make curds and whey 

You drain through a cloth here I'm using a piece of fine cotton, save the whey for soup, and let the bag of cheese drain until it's cool enough to handle. 


Turn it out,  off the cloth, into the strainer. Now transfer to a container to serve it from.


The whey is going into soup later in the week, with sweet potato, carrots and cashews. When they arrive from Misfits, that is.

I roasted a package of chicken thighs, along with making cheese

with berbere and salt, and that's now done,  cut into useful chunks and in the fridge for fast food.

All's well on the kitchen front.

However the plumbing has encountered complications, involving mopping, shutting off the house water, and another trip to the hardware store.  Also some concerns about the shutoff and if it also needs replacing.

At one point Jackie was summoned from next door to hold something, and before she left we chatted and she did a taste test of the cheese, declared it okay.

So here's the state of play. 

Handsome Son and I postponed our scheduled visit this afternoon, not up for peaceful chatting just now.

Fortunately I have a new sock in progress.


The second of this pair

So, all's moving along. More or less. Or say Jeez!






17 comments:

  1. That is a LOT of activity! But when it's all done and dusted, you will have fine food to eat and a toilet that works. Both very good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food looks so appetizing, you are slowly convincing me to try some simple cheeses again. Dennis hopes to start his yogurt making again soon - his is very good. Hope you have running water soon - but only where you want it to run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did the toilet get straightened out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latest plumbing bulletin: house water still off. The kit did not fit. Another trip to the store. They no longer make the parts for this model. Water off till further notice because of unstoppable leak despite toilet shut off being shut off.
    Tomorrow Gary tries a supplier to see if their suggestion works. If not, it's a new toilet, sigh. Planning to shower at Handsome Son's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can turn out a pair of socks in no time.

    There’s always something. We have replaced two toilets recently. I hope all is fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We could make a fun post of a collection of our worst toilet stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne, yes. After this one's fixed! I keep forgetting there's no water and wondering why nothing's coming out of the tap.

    Marie, what with bp issues and plumbing issues and IRS issues, the sock ministry is helping me as much as it's helping the eventual recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the toilet repair -- may all go quickly and well with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no... I just read your update above. Broken plumbing is a real test to the spirit (for me, anyway).

    I'd never heard of butter powder before this post so I looked it up. And now I'm thinking I need to get some of this stuff. Is it added to your yogurt butter for flavoring? From what I gathered, that seems to be its purpose as a "condiment" for various things. But what do I know, really... I just heard about this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butter powder is for making butter. It's like milk powder for making milk, just much higher fat level. Add water, blend till done, wrap, refrigerate. At least that's the plan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ambitious projects aplenty! Love the sock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went back and read your post and I see that I got lost. For some reason, I thought you were making butter from yogurt, but I can see now I just wasn't reading closely enough. Okay... while butter powder does sound like it would make a great flavoring for many things, I am now looking forward to your butter making! I'll pay better attention, promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd call that a busy day. Your neighbor is one special person!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After cheese and toilet cometh a sock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my. That looks like a big job! (The toilet, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Resident Chef makes our own cheese with homemade kefir as the base. We still buy cheddar cheese but otherwise use the homemade. He even tried using it to make cheesecake the other day and it turned out wonderfully. MUCH cheaper than buying cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Also it won't have the stabilizers and preservatives of shop bought cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!