Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Pancakes and Misfits, The Saga Continues

Handsome Son was planning a visit anyway yesterday, so I seized the day and made us pancakes. Served with choice of honey, lemon juice and sugar. 


We demolished a stack. With copious amounts of tea. He had forgotten about pancakes so he really enjoyed them. And we had a great visit, he strongly encouraging me to stay away from violent images in social media about the Putin invasion. 

He's very aware of the PTSD this awakens in a person who was a child in Europe in ww2, and an adult in Europe, living in the twenty minute nuclear warning zone during the Cuban missile crisis. And a person who had to take to her bed when Bush the Second launched the attack on Iraq, after catching a glimpse of the rockets launched onto civilians.

He's encouraging about the Sock Ministry, as an antidote, all in all, helpful. 

Shortly after he left, a thump on the front steps, and the long lost Misfits box appeared. The one that, after sending delay update after delay update, FedEx finally swore up and down they'd already delivered last Friday.

It bore the signs of a box which had been sitting on a loading bay for days, freezer block completely thawed

Salad produce, some fruit,  rotten or dried out and yellow. 

The pantry items and sturdier vegetables were fine, fortunately, the weather had been cold, so it was not a total loss.

 I informed Misfits, guessing that the fire they lit under the shipper had triggered a search and finally a delivery. Up to them now what they do about the already processed refund. My friend Mason will no doubt let me know.

Meanwhile, the good thing was that I was still in the window to edit the new box I'd ordered, to remove duplicates, reducing it to a small box, barely above the minimum required.

This has been an exciting week.. but we still got our unboxing. And another on Friday, all being well.

Now I can make the planned carrot cashew and butternut soup, and celery and potato soup, and roast the Brussels sprouts, and generally resume the regularly scheduled program.

To be fair, this was the shipper's fault, not Misfits, and the first real problem in nearly two years of biweekly deliveries.  one bad experience  in about 42 boxes. Upsetting at the time, but not a regular feature.

Clearly having food in the house has improved my mood, funny how that works.

Still heavy news from Ukraine, cities attacked. War crimes.


Knit on, pray on, donate on, friends. Thankful the US has a real President now, and strong trustworthy women in power. 

Historic pictures from the State of the Union address, first day of women's history month, first ever female Speaker and WOC  Vice President flanking the President. Two out of three. Getting there. Finally.

21 comments:

  1. Like your misfits box- getting there. Finally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! The mystery is solved. A missing package can loom negativity over one's life.
    Your son gives good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in! I'm glad you were able to salvage at least some of the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the world were run by women, there wouldn’t be war in Ukraine right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you had to live through all that. I was fortunate to live in Sweden during the war. I was five when it ended. But I still remember the little Jewish refugee girl neighbors took in. Her eyes were black, in blue-eyed Sweden, I had never seen eyes like hers. Now I believe they must have conveyd trauma as well because I
    have never forgotten them. Or her. I tried to play with her, in the snow. It didn't really work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing women is positions of power gives me hope for the world. Staying away from the news is good advice. I watch for about ten minutes at different points in the day. I’m with you on donating etc. Also, the premier of our province told Trudeau we are ready to take refugees here too. It’s not much but it’s something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pancake Day! I wish I'd known. Better late than never I guess on the Misfits Box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed out on pancakes today having eaten too many welshcakes!

    Yes, avoiding news is to be encouraged. Flicking channels I heard a bit and that was enough to send me to the edge.

    I'm glad your box arrived. You do sound very organised. I need that approach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We also celebrated Pancake Day.

    My brother was in London during the war until our house in London was bombed. After that my brother was sent to Glasgow for the remainder on the war years. He's not a big fan of fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad some things were salvageable and that you and Handsome Son had a lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a similar pancake at lunch today, with lemon and sugar. (A day late, but they had leftovers from yesterday!)

    Glad the box finally arrived, but that's a bummer about some of the tender produce. Wouldn't you love to know where it's been all this time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy to see that your food box arrived and that you were able to salvage some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with your son about avoiding too much news and social media about Ukraine. It sounds like you've paid your dues too many times already. That doesn't mean you can't pray for them and continue to work with the Sock Ministry and similar other ways to help people.

    I'm happy you received your Misfits, but shame on Fed Ex for their treatment of it. I agree, yesterday was a good start for women's history month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My lost box with marzipan never arrived. It was "lost" at the ups dock down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS-how do you dispose of the ice packs? Are they quite heavy to handle?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joanne, I guess someone enjoyed your marzipan :(

    The ice packs are food grade gel which you can thaw and safely pour away the recycle the wrapper. I don't put my down the drain, just pour onto the garden. A couple I keep in the freezer in case I need them for some other purpose.

    Steve, lemon and sugar is what I grew up on, thin pancakes. Served flat, not rolled up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary Ann, I'm surprised your brother was in Glasgow in wartime. Because of the shipyards, it was a bombing target. A school near my late husband's home was bombed in daylight, hundreds of kids in school killed. He lost most of his friends, aged about seven and eight.
    I get how your brother doesn't like fireworks.

    I hate those searchlights they use nowadays to advertise businesses. Seen them used to spot and hunt down aircraft , much too young to have seen a dogfight overhead, plane going down.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must put these thoughts to rest now.


    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Boud, I loved your story about Misfits. I am subscribing to something similar called Home Chef. We usually get two meals which are delivered in one package on Wednesdays. We love the food but the delivery is the catch. Sometimes it is late a day, which is not too bad this time of year, but last summer we had late deliveries that had to be thrown away. A sad waste and I lay the blame on the delivery agent. I notice that Home Chef has been changing around … sometimes FedEx, some UPS, some OnTrac. I guess they are trying to find the most dependable. I loved your closing and thoughts on women in power. And a comment by Anvilcloud was right on, “If the world were run by women, there wouldn’t be war in Ukraine right now.” Prayers for the Ukrainians. John

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, about delivery, John. I think misfits uses FedEx because they deliver Sundays and national holidays. Where you live matters. Here they've been very good up to now, but I've seen many complaints from Florida and New York.

    It's so good to have excellent food, helps with stress. When delivery's not causing it, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad the missing Misfits found their way home, but sorry to know that some of the produce was past prime. Odd how FedEx would be so insistent that it had been delivered but yet it wasn't. As you say, it's not the fault of Misfits themselves, although they should choose more reputable delivery services.
    Further on the subject of donations to support the Ukraine, I've found that the Salvation Army is providing services so they will be receiving a donation from here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!