Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Victory in Makariv, shrimp and ice cream futures

The good news this morning is the liberation of Makariv, Ukrainian flag raised again, Russian troops pushed out. 


Then more trivial items but big in my house, the shower is now fixed 

I think the  breakfast bars gave Gary a jolt of energy, because he showed up, made pictures of the necessary parts, shopped for the parts, fixed the shower, and got the kit required to fix the toilet. All done at warp speed.

He's coming back to do the rest of the fixing, had to run, basketball game in the city with daughter, season tickets..never a dull moment! He's a dear friend, and waiting isn't a problem. If it were urgent, he'd drop everything. I'm so much in his debt.

And, Mary, I did some shrimp yesterday, you'd have liked them. I just thawed them overnight in the fridge, dried them, saved the liquid that came off for a future sauce.

Then after studying recipes which were all a bit fussy, ended up just dousing them with Old Bay seasoning and a bit of salt. 

My mind just went everywhere trying to remember the name Old Bay -- offering me Fishermen's Friend, Mariner's Rest, some imaginative tries, but finally remembering the right name. 



This and minced garlic, quite a bit, seared just a couple of minutes. Served over Basmati rice. Really simple cooking, and it was so good. The shrimp are the size I like, and very good quality Misfits, cleaned and ready.

And there's another meal to warm up for today.

Out walking, clear skies, sunshine, and these natural sculptures


Then there's looking ahead to coming attractions



The current spiral tube socks are completed and I'm picking colors for the next, which will be toe up. I'm using all my sock styles as I go, variety being good.

Richard Rohr, ny daily spiritual guidance reading, is talking about nonduality at the moment, the existence of good and evil together, indivisible. No in group and outgroup. Just group. All belonging, for better or worse. 

He's really just describing the Shakuhachi effect. Something I've always believed in anyway. Bad things are not an interruption of life, just part of it. Rough threads and slubs in the fabric. Not preaching here, just musing.

Now for a cup of tea and a breakfast bar, or raisin thingie. They're very good after a day or two.

Life is good. 


12 comments:

  1. He always does. And won't stop till things are fixed, even when they get complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read once that things we consider evil are things we just don't understand which I think is just another way of expressing that all is just one, that life just is.

    The shrimp does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for Gary!
    And for your shrimp which look delicious. Perfect, in fact!
    I like that musing on good and evil being part of all one thing. I've heard so many believing people who, when asked why a loving god would allow such pain and evil in the world, say something like, "Well, if there's a god, there must be a Satan too."
    As if that explains anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the neighbour coming through like he did and will do. A good neighbour is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fixed shower is a big thing. As is a good friend who fixed it. Cause for celebration. Enjoy your lovely walks, Liz. It's rainy and chilly here again. It's spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your neighbor came through and things are getting done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to hear you got the shower repaired! Isn't it wonderful to be able to get out for a walk again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Icecream, yay! Our local stand of renown has yet to open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. About walking: I walk year round, but the winter months are more about keeping moving and warm, more than taking pictures. Walking is my go to exercise and spirit keeper upper.

    The shower was a simple issue of replacing the handle. A bit inside had broken off which is why my tightening the screw had only a temporary effect. The upcoming toilet repair is beyond my strength as well as my tools, involving unscrewing and removing the tank to insert the kit which will stop the leaking. So that I have to wait on.
    These are first world problems, given that to I have two showers and three count them toilets. It's not the situation of Handsome Son, with a one bathroom and toilet condo. There is would have called in the plumber long ago, cost or no cost.

    Eagerly looking forward to opening day at the ice cream shop! Prices are up again but it's only an occasional treat anyway.


    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing the pictures of the ice cream shop reminded me that warmer weather means we might get to make a trip to the ice cream factory for a gigantic two-flavour cone that we indulge in once or twice a year. Mind you, with gas prices the way they are, even those trips might be a thing of the past.
    Glad that your friendly neighbourhood repair man is on the job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!