Saturday, March 19, 2022

Spring, Edward Tulane, Everything pizza

 Spring's nearly here. First crocuses


I give them one day before robins tear them up to get at the delicious pollen 

And I finished the Ann Patchett essays, just wonderful reading. About people who seem a bit different to outsiders, particularly to relatives, I speak as one, she points out "It's not who we're trying to be, it's who we are." So true in many contexts. One of those comments that stay with you.

I particularly like a writer who refers to other experiences  I can explore -- Donna Leon and food and opera references,  Barbara Pym's Protestant church protocol, and anthropology, here Patchett's references to writers. 

I read the wonderful poet Lucy Nealy as a result of Patchett's writing about her, and today I listened to The miraculous journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate di Camillo because Patchett pays attention to her (a Newbery winner, Steve!).

It's a so-called children's book, but good writing is for everyone, and I listened and knitted and cried and knitted and smiled and knitted and was glad I'd met rabbit Edward, alias various other names,  on his adventures. 

It reminded me too, that in our own lives some episodes read as adventures later, but seem to be anything but at the time. Our lives don't have a fictional arc, or any discernible shape usually, so the story arc of fiction is such a satisfying gift.

I have another diCamillo to read on my Kindle, too. 


Meanwhile, food is always needed. Today it's pizza with everything. A Misfits dough, tomato paste, the rest of the garlic spread, meatballs, spinach, mozzarella, mushrooms, Parm cheese on top. 





Everything but the tomato paste was Misfits, come to think of it. And I saved the oil and butter mixture from cooking the mushrooms, full of flavor, for future use.

A comment in passing on the current effort to seat a new woman, a WOC at that, on the Supreme Court


So familiar to any woman who has worked in a male dominated environment.

But hope springs eternal


Slava Ukraini! 


13 comments:

  1. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane sounds like a book I would enjoy. I love children's books and this sounds wonderful. Your pizza looks delicious! I am making homemade pizza tonight as well. Sausage and olives on my husband's side and cheese and onion on mine. I love the cartoon. It is so true and I've been there many times. Glad I'm retired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’re having pizza tomorrow. Various toppings can always make it different and keep it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza does look good. And yes, the comic is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the cartoon and your glorious pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cartoon has it right! I hope to start reading the Patchett book tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive never read Patchett, but I am reminded that I did read some Pym quite some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we no longer have our salad greens to eat on top of pizza, I am not sure I will even go to the bother of making one. Truly one of our favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edward Tulane! Excellent! (Not to be nitpicky, but it wasn't a Newbery winner -- two of DiCamillo's other books are, though -- "Flora & Ulysses" and "The Tale of Despereaux.") She is a terrific writer and the kids really like her books. I can see why Patchett pays attention to her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I meant she was a winner, not Edward! And now that I've read a couple, I agree that she's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will have to look into that Tulane book for our grandson. He's starting to devour books on his own so we try to contribute to his collection.
    I wouldn't look upon that as being a comic so much as a social commentary - well done, either way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I want pizza now. And to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pizza looks good! Makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!