Saturday, March 5, 2022

Misfits box, and a knitting planner par excellence

Yesterday was the day for the Misfits small box, which I ordered on the "wrong" week, to fill out the gaps from the last, unsuccesful, box, and it arrived as scheduled,  phew.




So we're all up to date. Such a good feeling, all stocked up on excellent food.

Speaking of excellent, look at this thing of beauty



This is the planning for a temperature blanket, by the leader of the knitting group. By profession she's a reference librarian, can you tell? 

The concept of the temp blanket or scarf is to knit two rows per day, in colors pre-decided to represent the day's average temperature. It makes a great design as the days unfold.

It also requires an enormous range of yarn colors in small quantities, which is why I probably will never make one.

This set-up by Meg is a thing of beauty, just look at the care and color range, all yarn  names and numbers noted and sampled,  then overleaf her project notes.  She's currently up to this week on the knitting. 

She keeps other pattern notes in the same planner, because her projects often involve stitch patterns that just need a reminder to stay on track.

This kind of linear thinking is so far from my own spontaneous approach, and I really enjoy seeing it, very different. 

So I thought I'd share it.

Ukraine's suffering is still on the minds of us all.




16 comments:

  1. this is the first time in history where you can watch both sides of a war as it happens, from a thousand miles away. It's apparent that almost the only person who wants this war is Putin. Even his own country is against it.
    I watch, trying not to, and I weep.

    I was thinking about what you said earlier about likes and dislikes in colors; I tend to avoid grouping primaries on the color wheel, and as I get older my color preferences have whittled down to shades of beige, brown, rust, and grey. Someone years ago presented me with a bright yellow jersey top which hurt to look at, and with my skin color made me look disturbingly sallow. brrr. My husband was stunned when I gave away all my yellow Legos, lol. I said, I never use them, let some other kid have 'em. I don't think he's ever going to forgive me.

    And yes it's really that early. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That guide is beautiful. I have a friend who did a temperature blanket but it was not nearly as subtle, she only used three or four colours. I don't have much in the way of leftover wool, otherwise I'd do one myself. I really love the idea. Today would be chilly but not actually cold :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such dedication. Writers fall into pantsers or planners. I am definitely a seat of my pants one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those temperature blankets/quilts are all the rage right now, aren't they! Canadian ones are great because we range from +40 to -40 over the course of a year, so LOTS of colour gradations in ours, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been one much for such rigorous planning and plan-following. But I think the world needs both the spontaneous and the more regimented artists. And cooks. And writers. And musicians. And, and, and...

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a temperature blanket for me would be BORING! Unless the range was truncated and the colors adjusted to fit between 63 to 98. Just the opposite of Debra's location! Your mistfits selection looks similar to my most recent produce selection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the temperature blanket. Had never heard of that before.

    Ukrainians are putting up a hell of a fight, at a terrible cost. What bravery!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Temperature blankets are popular here too. The librarian is so organized. That’s a surprise! Such a great idea. I wonder who came up with that idea? Brilliant I’d say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always found temperature blankets to be fascinating. It certainly would take a lot of yarn. Maybe you could knit a scarf and several of your group could go together on yarn and share. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could not knit that scarf or blanket, either. Without a color to represent the weather some day, do you skip, or rummage?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think people invest in the yarn during the planning. It can be a really upscale project. Involving possibly a second mortgage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the ability to lay out that planning book...I love using my librarian brain but alas I am not a knitter...Glad your box came without complications.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made a chart for a temperature blanket. I also keep a weather journal.whether I manage to do the blanket now, that's the kicker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. E, yes, it's really a model of planning. Even if you had to delegate the actual knitting.

    Karen, I wonder if the planning is aspirational, and the execution is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hardest part is making yourself do a row per day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam, for some of us the hard part is stopping!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!